PDA

View Full Version : To Lock or Not to Lock ... Converter on Blown 383 w/ 200R4

Tim_in_NC
04-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Hi All,

I've gotten my tranny and getting ready to purchase all the goodies needed to rebuild it for my blown 383...

However, I've had mixed responses on rather I should or shouldn't use a Lock Converter ...

I've been told that with the Blower motor, I'd be better off going UNLOCKED ...

What do you all think ... Pros/Cons ... Reasons ???

thanks,
TIM

rocketrod
04-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Go with a lock-up, unless its main purpose is a drag car running in the 10s or lower. Also read the thread in the link below

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4903&highlight=lock

What parts are you using in your build and what core did you start with?

Steve Chryssos
04-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Lock up clutches are great. They provide direct linkage between the engine and transmission which reduces parasitic loss. The problem is that most lock up clutch friction surface designs are inadequate. Picture a ring that is, say 3/4" wide and 9" or 10" in diameter. Compare that with a full clutch disc (as opposed to the ring just described) and you can see how premature wear can result. That's not an apples to apples comparison, but you can see how that little ring can be inadequate for high load applications.

So by all means try to go with a lock up clutch, but make sure the trans is calibrated to only engage the lock up clutch under low load driving conditions such as part throttle highway driving. Many lock up clutches have burned up because they are applied under moderate to heavy load.

--OR--

Check this out! Multi disc lock up clutches are available. They offer greatly increased friction surface which allows for true high performance lock up clutch use. I am definitely going to try one of these during my next trans swap. I want to see what happens if I keep the converter locked up 80% of the time (top of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and most of decel while in performance mode). Very cool.

http://www.converter.com/vigilante.htm

Tim_in_NC
04-08-2006, 06:45 AM
Thanks guys... The motor blower combo is just north of 800 horsepower...

Both Tranny Builders that I've spoken to off of the TurboBuick boards have recommended the unlocked converter for my application as well as my local tranny builder who will be heading up the build.

This car will just be a weekend warrior type with 10-20 trips a year to the local 1/4 mile strip...

The tranny is out of a '83 Caprice and will be seeing all new internals with several billet parts...

Still think lock up? I'm getting real confussed...

Thanks,
TIM

rocketrod
04-08-2006, 08:25 AM
Thanks guys... The motor blower combo is just north of 800 horsepower...

Both Tranny Builders that I've spoken to off of the TurboBuick boards have recommended the unlocked converter for my application as well as my local tranny builder who will be heading up the build.

This car will just be a weekend warrior type with 10-20 trips a year to the local 1/4 mile strip...

The tranny is out of a '83 Caprice and will be seeing all new internals with several billet parts...

Still think lock up? I'm getting real confussed...

Thanks,
TIM
This helps a lot. If one of the builders you are talking to off the Buick board is Chris at CK Performance or Brian Hofer, go with their recommendation. Personally for that kind of horsepower rating I would just buy a unit from Chris, Brian or someone on this list http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84598

Tim_in_NC
04-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Yea, I've been talking to Chris... He's the one who's putting together all the parts that we need for the build...

Thanks...

rocketrod
04-08-2006, 01:29 PM
He is really good to work with! Are you getting one of his 9x11 converters also?

Tim_in_NC
04-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Thinking more of his 9.5" non-lockup street/strip converter

Cheatin'Chad
05-29-2006, 11:20 AM
Go with a lock-up, unless its main purpose is a drag car running in the 10s or lower. Also read the thread in the link below

I agree with this comment

The ability to drop your rpm and get the increased mileage and reduction in wear is a great benefit.