PDA

View Full Version : 440hp Carbureted LS2 ???

RighteousReaper
04-07-2006, 06:11 AM
Carbed LS2 (http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=76656&parentCategoryId=10763&langId=-1)
Are there any advantages to an engine like this? Would gas mileage or performance be any better than a traditional small block w/ similar power?

Damn True
04-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Interesting starting point. You'd still need the accesories and such which wouldn't be tough to find from a wrecking yard.

rocketrod
04-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Hopefully someone familiar with LSX's engines will chime in and comment on the motor, how much more HP/TQ you could get out of it. That looks like a pretty good starting point. I have been contemplating going with a carbed LSX. Just trying to figure out what it will cost to get it in a 1st gen (headers, harness, oil pan, fuel tank, $$$, $$$)

MarkM66
04-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Headers and a cam and you'd probably be close to 500hp. Sounds like a hell of a deal for an all aluminum 500hp engine.

Not sure why is states you must run a auto though.

Steve1968LS2
04-10-2006, 03:52 PM
I think it's a good drag racing deal.. but it seems like you could do better than only 40hp over a stock LS2..

The good news is that you only need a $260 ignition control box, a $700 carb and the wiring for the coil packs and such..

You wouldn't need this on an EFI LS2 but you would need a wiring harness and a programed ECU.

I would think the costs would be about the same. This is good for someone that it not into the electronics and knows carbs well. I also think it would be great for racing but not near as good for the street.

Cool that they offer it this way.. I know it ditches the O2 sensors and I imagine the knock sensors as well. hmmmm

nitrorocket
04-14-2006, 05:56 PM
Don't get it, seems like a HUGE step backwards to me! Unless you race in a class that does not allow EFI.

lbsurfer11
04-16-2006, 05:05 PM
I think the reason it needs to use an automatic may have something to do with the overdrive 6th gear and it being difficult to run in most situations since its got a carb. I remember hearing that somewhere but not too sure. Anybody else? I am really considering this option as well but only if I could run a 6speed. seems pretty simple for my low tech abilities and performance seems really attractive.

rocketrod
04-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Don't get it, seems like a HUGE step backwards to me! Unless you race in a class that does not allow EFI.
Care to elaborate?

nitrorocket
04-17-2006, 05:58 AM
I mean, with all the benifits of modern fuel injection, why would you want the carbed version. You lose all the perks of efi including built in rev limiters, two step, anti knock control, electronic transmission contro, and the ease of putting on forced induction down the road, The list could go on.

I just don't understand why such a great fuel injected engine combo would want to be purchased without electronics unless it is going in a race car that does not allow efi. You know!

lbsurfer11
04-17-2006, 06:23 PM
I've been into the whole pro touring thing since 97 when I got my 69 camaro and in that time I've learned a great deal, but my knowledge is little compared to you guys who grew up working on cars and do it as a profession. So for me tuning and dealing with electrical issues, fabrication and what has been stated as an expensive process to outsource to, the carbed version seems appealing. 440hp and an all aluminum engine, seems a very light, decently trick, and at that price, a cost effective way to get good performace and maybe a bit of drivability and fuel economy over a gen 1 sbc. I live in Miami and can't even find a decent restoration shop for my body and subframe, and besides there is no better feeling than to be able to do what ever lame mechanical work Im capable of. But you speak the truth, if I had the option Fuel Injection all the way.

Steve1968LS2
04-17-2006, 06:54 PM
I've been into the whole pro touring thing since 97 when I got my 69 camaro and in that time I've learned a great deal, but my knowledge is little compared to you guys who grew up working on cars and do it as a profession. So for me tuning and dealing with electrical issues, fabrication and what has been stated as an expensive process to outsource to, the carbed version seems appealing. 440hp and an all aluminum engine, seems a very light, decently trick, and at that price, a cost effective way to get good performace and maybe a bit of drivability and fuel economy over a gen 1 sbc. I live in Miami and can't even find a decent restoration shop for my body and subframe, and besides there is no better feeling than to be able to do what ever lame mechanical work Im capable of. But you speak the truth, if I had the option Fuel Injection all the way.

The problem is that 95% of the LSx engines out there come with everything you need for EFI except programing and a reworked wiring harness. With this you have a good chuck of change to spend on the carb parts (A couple grand I imagine, maybe a bit less), So I don't know if it is infact cheaper. If you only had a short block and heads and no EFI parts it might be cheaper.. by a little bit.

However it does have advantage like being able to run in a class restricted to carbureted cars. Also, I think this could make more peak power so if I was building a drag car I would consider it.

Once you learn the EFI deal isn't that daunting.. I would rather type on a computer to tune than jerk around with jets and float bowls.. lol

lbsurfer11
04-18-2006, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the info Steve. Between you and my other buddy I may just get pushed into getting a whole pullout setup, it does really seem a bit more practical for a car I plan to drive often once completed. thanks.

nitrorocket
04-18-2006, 08:18 AM
Over the past year, I have bought and sold many ls1 motors. They can be had for roughly $2500 pcm to pan with 60-80k on them. That is not bad. A harness will be about $500, and then you can always find someone like myself that does tuning to change what you need for your application. The entire motor in my car cost me $5500! But that was starting with a used motor I picked up. All I am trying to say is, if you decide to go used, you get more bang for your buck.

MarkM66
04-19-2006, 09:46 AM
I think the reason it needs to use an automatic may have something to do with the overdrive 6th gear and it being difficult to run in most situations since its got a carb. I remember hearing that somewhere but not too sure. Anybody else? I am really considering this option as well but only if I could run a 6speed. seems pretty simple for my low tech abilities and performance seems really attractive.

I would think it must be something else. No reason a carbed engine can't perform well with the 6 speed. Many are doing it, like me, :) .

RobM
04-19-2006, 06:31 PM
I love the idea of a carbureted lsX engine, lets see… if its running bad I can adjust it on the side of the road, Its unique seems like every one and there brother has a ls engine in an F body (I’m not knocking the F body part), carbs can make the SAME power as EFI when set up well ( at least in a high performance engine with a narrow power band,) and lastly I don’t need a smooth idol, mild street manors, gas mileage, or for it to start right up on a cold winter day. My Camaro is a HOT ROD not a Sunday driver. Im not going to sit here and lie to you saying EFI does not have a place on some race engines, but the bottom line is I don’t need EFI to make my car faster then mostly any thing o the street and track. And I’m not building my car for comfort and ease of driving. I guess I’m just a young wipper snapper though

1bad69+70camaro
04-24-2006, 06:43 AM
hey man,i am a member on ls1tech.com and you can put 500 to the wheels with ported heads and cam with iron block 6.0 so the ls2 must put the exact same numbers.if interested i have a complete 2002 escalade motor for sale.its a 6.0 iron block with 317 heads and had only 12k on it when disassembled.CHEAP.i am trying to get som posts in to sale in the for sale section.i also am stuck on the carb setup because i think it looks cooler than injected.as far as cost,the efi might be cheaper if you get used parts,plus no fuel return lines to fool with.the lsx engines are very strong and are the small block of the future i think.if we someway get our touring cars to have the 4 cylinder knockdown that the new lsx motors have we can have big cams,high power in the 600-700 range and 25 mpg.but i am optimistic and only time will tell un till someone comes along with this.

Fuelie Fan
04-27-2006, 09:57 AM
From what I've read, I don't think it'll be too long before someone comes out with the 4cyl/8cyl stuff.

MarkM66
04-28-2006, 07:21 AM
This looks like a good price in the EFI LS2

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/LS2-Crate-Engine-60-Gen-IV-2006-Production-19156261-P929C2.aspx

Where would be a good place to get the computer and wiring harness?

Damn True
04-28-2006, 07:57 AM
linky no workee

Steve1968LS2
04-28-2006, 08:48 AM
This looks like a good price in the EFI LS2

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/LS2-Crate-Engine-60-Gen-IV-2006-Production-19156261-P929C2.aspx

Where would be a good place to get the computer and wiring harness?

One word.. SPEARTECH ... John is the go to guy for this stuff..

MarkM66
04-28-2006, 09:29 AM
linky no workee

Yeah, their main website doesn't work right now either. Hmmm...

MarkM66
05-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Works now.