PDA

View Full Version : learned the coolest thing yesterday

twoduners11
04-06-2006, 09:38 AM
hey guys, thought i would share this. ever use bee's wax? a friend of mine showed me. when doing almost anything w/ aluminum put the wax on the tool. for example cutting chunks w/ abrasive chop saw takes forever,but touch the disk with the wax (at first or as you go) and the blade wont load-up and it flies right through! i was drilling some 6" long holes through some 6061 in the lathe and cutting oil wasnt letting the shavings pass through the flutes, but rub a little wax on the bit and holy crap. end mill was the same. long story short you guys have helped me out a bunch and i finally feel i can help you w/ something.
thx mark

CAMAROBOY69
04-06-2006, 10:09 AM
I never knew that. Thanks.

colt zantop
04-06-2006, 10:26 AM
man..coulda used that a ton at school...thanks for the tip!

Matt@RFR
04-06-2006, 11:39 AM
It does work, as long as you aren't going to weld whatever you're cutting. Contamination city.

With the right tooling, speeds and feeds, you don't really need any coolant or lubricant on aluminum at all. It definetely helps, but even when I do use coolant, I use a full synthetic, water based coolant because it works great, doesn't rust my machines or get stinky when it sits, and washes off the best compared to non-synthetics and/or oil based coolants.

I would highly recommend not using an abrasive chop saw on aluminum. Just like grinding wheels, they can load up and have been known to explode. (Yes, explode is the correct term, not used just for emphasis) Instead, use a chop saw or skill saw with a course carbide blade and you don't need any coolant or lubricant.

High Plains Mopars
04-22-2006, 08:28 AM
Instead, use a chop saw or skill saw with a course carbide blade and you don't need any coolant or lubricant.

While your right about the cut off style wheels, I'll disagree with this part of your statement unless your cutting very thin stock on a occasionaly basis. If your cutting anything substantial or a run of parts, you will load up a carbide blade and break off teeth. I base this on personal experience. My shop regulalrly fabrictes using aluminum using parts that are from .125 to .5 in thick thickness and anywhere from 1 to 4 inches in width. We have used 120, 100, 60, and 40 tooth carbide blades and managed to load everyone of them up. Granted, the more experiecnced operators tend to have fewer problems, but cut fast and/or without coolant, and you'll ruin a blade almost every time.

There are a number of cutting waxes out there that help with drilling, cutting, routing, and any type of metal removal. We use Castrol in my shop because it is inexpensive and easy to use. Comes in a big tube like most greases. You simple push it out of the tube and smear it on what your cutting. While it may not be too common at most hardware stores,
you can get it at places like grainger.com or mcsdirect.com.

astroracer
04-22-2006, 04:00 PM
I get my Castrol Cutting Wax from Enco...
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=505-2034&PMPXNO=942466&PARTPG=INLMK3
6 bucks a tube. Buy a couple, cut them in half and put them by the band saws, drill presses, etc., etc...:woot:
Mark

High Plains Mopars
04-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Soap works well in a pinch too. Try Irish Spring. It makes the garage smell manly fresh...and the women like it too.