PDA

View Full Version : Not a HANS device but almost

alcino
04-06-2006, 09:10 AM
I wanted to add some safety and was wondering if anyone was using the G-force SRS-1 head restraint system? Seems like a good alternative to the HANS device. I like that it allows you to turn your head, but does require you to use a G-Force helmet that is able to accept the cable attachment. Let me know your opinions and experiences.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Stu Seitz
04-06-2006, 12:36 PM
I don’t know much about this particular device but Simpson is offering financing on HANS devices, if the 800 dollars is a little steep for you.

Patrick
04-06-2006, 02:08 PM
It looks like this piece will provide protection against forward motion but very little lateral support. The HANS device maybe restrictive but it also offers the most protection. Take it from somebody who has broken their neck in 2 places....get the most protection you can!

alcino
04-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Looking at pictures it seems that with the HANS it only gives the forward protection like the SRS-1 but doesn't allow you to turn your head. Am I missing something? Looks like you need to add a neck brace or some down straps from the helmet to the harness to protect from side impacts.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Patrick
04-06-2006, 03:22 PM
I have only worn a HANS Device once.. so I am no expert. However, they boast that it is the best front, offset, and rear protection. http://hansdevice.com/s.nl/sc.5/category.67/.f

rocketman
04-06-2006, 09:10 PM
have a simpson head and neck system and i love it you dont have the sight problems of a hans.

Matt@RFR
04-06-2006, 09:37 PM
have a simpson head and neck system and i love it you dont have the sight problems of a hans.

Ok, it's more convinient, but it is as safe?

David Pozzi
04-06-2006, 10:48 PM
I bought a Hans last year.
I didn't buy the quick release, from what I've read, it isn't very helpful and adds more harness and clutter. I can pretty quickly release my tether straps by just pushing in on the spring loaded clip on each side of my helmet, then slide the clip forward.
One tip, the clip MUST be horizontal when you install or release or it won't go.

I can still move or turn my head, just not as far. I don't find it limiting as far as turning my head to look to the side or behind me, since my car doesn't provide good visibility from the driver rearward. I can turn enough to look at my mirrors, and haven't even lengthened my straps.

I did find I can't lean my head as far side to side like I used to do (without realizing) to see more out of my mirrors.
Look at the pic in my signature and you'll see my head way over! It's a bad habit from my Go-Kart days I guess. The Hans required me to revamp my shoulder harness position. They used to pull downward at a 20 to 30 degree angle. Hans says it they be level or near level pull and the two sholder belts must be no more than 3" apart. This holds me in position more left to right because my anchor points are right behind my shoulders. It would be like anchoring your belts to your seat in your car.

The belts run right over the Hans and hold me pretty well in my seat, I really need to add some head supports on each side of my helmet according to the Hans instructions. They want a lot of shoulder support, with extensions up to each side of the helmet if possible. Look at the NASCAR seats these days. I don't know if I'll do all that...

I'm not thrilled about adding a lot of stuff to my helmet, but I wanted to improve my safety in the car since at Laguna Seca there are cement barriers all around the track on each side and any hit of 40 mph or higher could cause injury or DEATH! I really hate hospitals, and I think a Hans could save me a lot of hospital time if I have an accident.

I had to buy a 30 deg angle HANS for the Lola because of the seating angle. I'll probably have to get a 20 deg when I get my 67 Camaro or the 69 TA car running. You need aprox 1.5" more space between the headrest and helmet for the HANS. I had to thin down my headreast and sink it into the roll bar brace plus lean the roll bar back a little.

Each helmet I've bought over the years has been made thicker and thicker on the rear so headreast clearance has reduced more and more since the original restoration of my car.

I'd say if your current harness doesn't allow much shoulder movement then the HANS won't restrict side to side much more. The helmet thethers will limit your head turn to 20-30 deg side to side but you can increase that by lengthening the straps, which is approved by HANS. If you lean your head to the side, you won't be able to do that much at all, plus leaning will reduce your amount of head turn available. I ran two weekends with it and I'm adjusting pretty well to it, plus I feel much safer. I may try the tethers a little bit longer, they are as-delivered now.

I looked at the Gforce device but the HANS has the highest rating.

rocketman
04-07-2006, 07:01 AM
Ok, it's more convinient, but it is as safe?

i have taken pretty hard hits with and never had problem.i've had some pro mod crashes,asphalt late model crashes.i feel comfortable going out with it.

alcino
04-07-2006, 09:02 AM
I like the info here so far. David Are you going to the May13-14 Speed Ventures event? Could you bring the HANS so I can see it? Also what do you mean by highest rating? Less injury prone?

David Pozzi
04-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Al,
Yes I will bring it along with my helmet so you can feel what it does. The angle is 30 deg so in your seat it would probaly hit your seat or headrest, it is tilted back a bit more than you'd need.

The G-Force device would be my second choice if you don't like the HANS. I have an article from 2003 Circle track about it. If you have a fax, I can fax it to you or PM me your address and I'll shoot you a copy. Unfortunately they have no perf ratings in the article.

I'm not saying it's not any good but the HANS has been tested more and I'm pretty sure it's safer. I allready had a new helmet so I didn't want to buy the G-Force and start over. The HANS anchors can be transferred to any new helmet I get.

The HANS has been through an over 100 G indy car crash head-on, and the driver didn't need a hospital stay!

Rocketman,
Is the Simpson device similar to the Hutchens device?
I did a petty driving experience, they used the Hutchens on me and had the straps so tight I couldn't move my head at ALL! They said that's how they have to be adjusted! Maybe it was a joke on me...

David Pozzi
04-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Here is the SFI page listing all MFR's that meet the new 38.1 head and neck device specs.
http://www.sfifoundation.com/manuf.html#38.1

rocketman
04-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Al,

Rocketman,
Is the Simpson device similar to the Hutchens device?
I did a petty driving experience, they used the Hutchens on me and had the straps so tight I couldn't move my head at ALL! They said that's how they have to be adjusted! Maybe it was a joke on me...

yes.it needs to be tight but i dont run mine that tight,i have around 1/2 inch movement.

David Pozzi
04-12-2006, 06:27 PM
One thing I notice about the SRS-1 is, the shoulder harness looks like it has to pull down quite a bit off the shoulders compared to a Hans, the Hans has to pull level to down 1" when it comes off the shoulders.

Speed Raycer
04-27-2006, 02:22 PM
I'm a little surprised that nobody's mentioned the Isaac Device http://www.isaacdirect.com
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/04/008_08-1.jpg

Last I heard, it exceeds the 38.1 test except for the single point release. I use it and I love it!!

If you talk to Gregg Baker about it, be sure you tell him that Scott @ Izzys's Custom Cages sent you.

Damn True
04-27-2006, 02:24 PM
Could you post some photos of yourselves while wearing the systems, strapped into the car?

Maybe show how much available head movement you have as well?

RaceMan
04-27-2006, 05:44 PM
I've never worn the hans before but I have 2 or 3 hutchens systems and I think they've worked well https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif