PDA

View Full Version : Key steps in replacing rear quarter panel (1st gen camaro)

BuddyP
04-06-2006, 04:56 AM
Could use some help here. Need to replace the rear quarters of my '68 Camaro. Body is stripped down to a bare shell. Could someone lead me in the right direction as to taking off the old quarter panel and putting a new one on?

Any key area's to watch out for?
How about cutting the old welds when removing the old panel?
What do you do about the lead in the B piller?
How do you put new lead back in after new panel is installed?
Any key details in a welding preferrence? Can you use a std wire feed?

Thanks in advance!
Buddy P

Brian-Blade
04-06-2006, 05:40 AM
Im no pro but I did both 1/4s on my 67
I rough cut majority of panel out with plasma cutter I had borrowed from a friend .
A cut-off wheel would work good also or small cut-off wheel in dremel for tight areas.
I used a spot weld cutter to drill sopt weld out , I got mine from a local tool place TP-Tools they are a large place that sells sandblasting equipment . I just saw some nice spot weld cutters someone posted on camaros.net ,place is called dentfix.com.
To get lead out . use torch , You dont have to get it very hot to melt.
I am going to use brand name "all metal" to fill sail panel area not lead
I mig welded mine on with no problems I have an old SP-100 lincoln .03 wire with gas , worked great.
Good luck !

MarkM66
04-06-2006, 06:03 AM
Are you going to be putting a full quarter back on it? Including sail panel and door jam?

BuddyP
04-06-2006, 06:18 AM
Thanks Brian!

MarkM66, yes I want to replace the full quarter. Would it be easier to not replace the door jamb area? Maybe cut the new quarter along that 90 degree bend and weld it in place?

Brian-Blade
04-06-2006, 04:34 PM
I did 80% 1/4's , if I did it again I would do full 1/4's