PDA

View Full Version : 70 cutlass front susp. swap with a c5

thepollock
04-05-2006, 08:40 PM
i have a 70 cutlass and what i want to do is use a 2000 or newer f body car for part like the ls1, t-56 trans, rear so i can have disc brake and i can use the front susp. so i was wondering if i could use a c5 front end so that i could use the abs and traction control unit out of the car. i figher that with the c5 front end i would have all the abs rings and with using it i would also have the same off set for the rims. if i am on the right track can some one let me know or help me out i would be thankful.

ProTouring442
04-06-2006, 02:48 AM
I don't know how to do a full C5 front suspension set-up, but I believe the ATS spindles use Corvette hubs, and therefore the Corvette ABS sensors should work. You can use the spindles with your stock arms, or get the taller version and use arms set up for the "B-Body" swap. The ATS will have the correct steering arms to keep bump-steer away, unlike the B-Body swap.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"

thepollock
04-06-2006, 06:13 AM
thanks for the info and how do i get a hold of ats i cant find them under a google serch?

Marcus SC&C
04-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Sounds like a cool project. You`ve got a few hurdles to get past though. The 4th gen F body rear mounts differently and uses a torque arm and panhard bar rather than converging 4 link. If you do a good job of installing it and keeping the geometry right it should be a nice step up. The rears aren`t super strong (7 5/8" ring gear) but they have a decent torsen posi unit. The LS1 rear brakes work very well with C5 front brakes. We have that combo on our G-5 test car `87 Cutlass. Installign C-5 suspension up front would be a huge challenge. For one the steering rack is mounted so high it would require about 8"-10" of engine set back or custom steering arms and totally new steering geometry. You can get very good results from the stock frame and the tall ATS spindles. They accept C5/C6 hub/bearings assys. (which include the wheel speed sensors) and any brakes that fit C5/C6 bolt right on like factory. We`re working with ATS to bring out the A body version with specific steering arms to optimize the steering geometry/bumpsteer and will be sellign them as Street Comp AFX with our adj. tubular upper arms,alignment specs etc. We just finished a lot of testing with these spindles on our A body test chassis. If you`d like any more info give us a call. Don`t wait too long if you need them soon. The current production batch is almost all spoken for already. Mark SC&C