PDA

View Full Version : Key steps for replacing rear quarter panel (1st gen Camaro)

BuddyP
04-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Could use some help here. Need to replace the rear quarters of my '68 Camaro. Body is stripped down to a bare shell. Could someone lead me in the right direction as to taking off the old quarter panel and putting a new one on?

Any key area's to watch out for?
How about cutting the old welds when removing the old panel?
What do you do about the lead in the B piller?
How do you put new lead back in after new panel is installed?
Any key details in a welding preferrence? Can you use a std wire feed?

Thanks in advance!
Buddy P

PRO TC
05-02-2006, 05:49 PM
buddy i can help with a couple. you need a spot weld cutter mines called a rotabroach from snap-on. the part number is ga219a. as for the lead just grind it out and use bondo to fill. a mig welder should be fine. hope this helps
barry

67bird
06-15-2006, 09:34 PM
First, I would use a propane torch to remove the lead. Use one of the various spot weld cutters avalible. I personally use blair with the anti-skip pilot. You can put lead back in with one of the various kits from Eastwood. Or you can use all-metal or metal to metal filer that is avalible. As far as welding back in you can use either a wire welder or a spot welder like the factory used. Check out the body forum at Camaros.net you will find out alot from there. Also, check out proautotools.com for your supplies.

TLWiltman
06-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Safety Tip
Whenever working with lead (generating dust or vapors), use a respirator, gloves, etc. You really want that lead to stay outside of you.

tndude
06-18-2006, 04:51 PM
Buddy, check out project pictures at www.mikescustomcars.com (http://www.mikescustomcars.com) There are a gazillion pictures of every step and are pretty detailed so you might be able to use this as a reference.

Hope that helps.