PDA

View Full Version : Original's vs Reproductions

BuddyP
04-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Are repro's really that bad? Of course anybody would love to have original panels, but what's the real deal with reproductions? For example a 1st gen camaro fender???

jumpmaster
07-16-2006, 09:47 PM
HELLO!!! I would like to know too. Why some people pay HUNDREDS of dollars more for original parts vs. resto parts. Hundreds! Do they want to say, "It's original, not the actual original mind you, but originally from the same place mine came from, well not mine of course, but when the car was new in 69, original just like those....the GM 69 ones, not these, although these are original GM". "Yep, its an original."

Do they fit better? Is it really a fitting issue?

Example, someone just paid about $800 for original woodgrain parts for a 69 dash, glovebox, etc on EBAY. Why not by the resto parts from Classic Industries cheaper?

Thanks!

ahowudoin
07-17-2006, 04:17 AM
From what i have seen,The repro stuff is just not as good quality or fit.Pick up a oe bumper then a repro. You can feel the weight difference.The fit isn't for sheet metal alone. All of it, mirrors,hardware,plastic stuff.is not near the oe quality.

68fusion
07-17-2006, 02:18 PM
Most repo stuff is in the ballpark , so if you just want your car in the "ballpark" of looking and fitting right your OK! BUT if you want stuff to fit, line up, or look correct then OEM/nos is the only way togo. If you ever put some of this repo crap on you'll understand...69 pillar post trim, the rear interior qrt trim with this goofy seam cord that dont fit, headliners with crooked seams, doors that you have to slot all the holes to make the glass fit, deck lids that twist and are made of what seems like tinfoil, quarters that are too tall in the trunk jamb area and weak stamping around the louvers, drip rail moulding that dont go on after you paint the car-not wide enough, damn spears at the bottom- what were these people thinkin?, bumper brackets that you have to cut and weld to make work.

Just a few things we ran into on one car, so it's fresh in my mind. If you can salvage your oem parts and be happy with how they look - your better off. If you want new repo then get a good die grinder and and some extra time to get OK results.