PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a welder...

Boyd
04-04-2006, 11:57 AM
I'm looking for a decent entry level Mig that will allow me to add a bottle of gas in the future. I'm only limited by budget, I've already wired the garage so 110v or 220v doesn't matter. Budget is $500 and the further south of that # the better. (I know, you get what you pay for.) But this welder will see minimum use. I need to weld in some late model door handles and a custom filler piece between a set of late model taillights. Beyond that, there are no other plans for the welder, maybe small fabricating, but that's it. Can you rent a mig welder set up that includes gas? Also, how does the hobbyist procur a bottle of gas?

ahowudoin
04-04-2006, 03:45 PM
You could get a welder form home depot or lowes for what you are looking to do. I had one and it worked fine but i just upgraded to a miller 180. It is day and night between the two.but it was 1300.I was able to buy my bottle from the welding supply place in town for a 100 rather then rent one. you con buy bottles on line from several places to.

PT Goat
04-04-2006, 04:13 PM
I got a Lincoln 140 MIG at Lowes last week and I really like it. It can weld flux core right out of the box and comes with everything but the bottle when you're ready for MIG. Even comes with a "how to weld" video if you're a beginner like me. Plus it's 110V, which was what I needed.

Jim68nC
04-04-2006, 06:06 PM
I learned the hard way and went with the Hobart 210 the 2nd time around (out of your budget). More qualified persons on here can provide detailed specs with differences/debates between Miller or Hobart models. Both of which have smaller units that you may find within your budget to meet your needs.

You can source a bottle (and exchange) now at your local Northern Tool or Tractor Supply chain (if either are local for you) in addition to your local welders supply of course.

Norwoodx55
04-06-2006, 08:28 PM
I think you will find that the more you use it, the more uses you will find for it. I started off with the same idea as you, had a couple of projects in mind. Now I use it more and more. Can't imagine not having a welder now. FWIW, I have a Lincoln SP175+ and am very pleased with it. I originally considered a 110 volt machine, but the overwhelming majority of recommendations said to spring for a 220V. I actually left the welding supply shop with a 110 but went back later that afternoon to exchange for the 220. I just knew I would regret it later if I kept the 110. Good luck and enjoy the new opportunities the welder will bring you.
Brett

EFI69Cam
04-08-2006, 01:08 PM
I think you will find that the more you use it, the more uses you will find for it. I started off with the same idea as you, had a couple of projects in mind. Now I use it more and more. Can't imagine not having a welder now. FWIW, I have a Lincoln SP175+ and am very pleased with it. I originally considered a 110 volt machine, but the overwhelming majority of recommendations said to spring for a 220V. I actually left the welding supply shop with a 110 but went back later that afternoon to exchange for the 220. I just knew I would regret it later if I kept the 110. Good luck and enjoy the new opportunities the welder will bring you.
Brett

tru dat on the 220 I bought a 110, and have to take big stuff over to my buddy's shop to weld.

ProTouringRS
04-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Save you self the headache and get a lincoln electric welder. I have a lincoln 255c all digital welder and absolutely love it. They are fairly expensive I got mine ready to weld for 1,800 but their are cheaper models hence the 215 which is the same except for digital readout. These welders will last a lifetime and then some, and you would be suprised how fast they will pay for themselves just on various welding jobs for your buddies. Ill put it this way I am a motor grader finishwelder at caterpillar and I would love this welder at work.