PDA

View Full Version : 1 wire alt

kman67rsss
10-11-2004, 06:21 PM
what is everyone using for an alt. i have a 67 camaro that i want to convert to an internall regulated set up. i have the painless wiring harness so it shouldnt be too big of a deal. thanks for the input

zbugger
10-11-2004, 06:32 PM
You can use a 1 wire, but the 3 wire is a lot better. I'm changin back to the 3 wire style. It's more stable than my 1 wire was.

indyjps
10-12-2004, 04:02 PM
what kind of problems did you have with the one wire. ive read that it only starts charging once engine has reached around 2000 rpm. i picked one up a while back and wasnt sure whether to use it or not.

harshman
10-12-2004, 04:10 PM
I just swapped from the old external to the new internal one wire alternator. It charges way better. Cut and cap the old three wires and remove the regulator. Next take the ONE charge wire that is connected to the battery and connect it to the alternator. Then sit there for a minute and try to come up with something else to do ‘cause it was so friggin easy. :Alchy:

kman67rsss
10-12-2004, 05:58 PM
harshman, do you have a PN for that alt. is that off of a different car, or was it an one size fits most type of deal. thanks for the info.

zbugger
10-13-2004, 06:53 PM
Well, I had a problem with it shutting off. I don't think mine liked the car idling at 650. I'd stop at a light at night, with my headlights on, and the voltage would drop like a rock. It would squeal the belt when I'd accelerate, then the alternator would turn itself on, and the noise would stop. Before I pulled the engine out, I swapped back to the three wire unit and that all went away. Read this page on the M.A.D. Electrical (http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml) website and it may help you understand it a bit more.

kman67rsss
10-13-2004, 07:22 PM
i didnt read the whole aticle but i guess i was under the missconception that the one wire alt's were the only internally regulated alts. i guess this changes my question, what is a good internally regulated alt that is relatively affordable. i have a 67 camaro with a big block. thanks by the way i have a painless wiring harness through out the car if that makes a difference.

CAMAROBOY69
10-14-2004, 04:47 AM
I have had 1 wire on mine for over 2 years and had 1 wire on the Nova for 2 years. No problems. It is only a 60 amp but it doesnt have any problem pushing anything I have hooked to it. Ive had 2 12" speakers, amp and 4 other amped speakers without it missing a beat.

ballistic69
10-14-2004, 05:28 AM
I am running an 200 amp one wire alternator. The guy I spoke with was very helpful (can't remember his name). There isn't a case made for the LS1 corvette engine set up, but fortunately he had delt with the situation before and all that needed to be done was cut off one mounting tab (which he did) and drill out the hole in the other two tabs (I did) and it mounted just fine.

www.motorcityreman.com

gmachinz
10-15-2004, 10:12 AM
I'm using a 140-amp alternator from a '96 Impala SS using an adjustable heim-end bracket on my SB. It would fit the same on your BB too. On a testor it put out 65-amps at idle and 132-amps @2000 RPM's. With a good use of relays, you will never have any problems with your charging system/accessories with this one. It has a 6" diameter case too so an upgrade to 200 amps is possible as well. -Jabin