PDA

View Full Version : Need HELP from you welders!!!!

CRCRFT78
04-03-2006, 09:06 PM
I'm interested in buying a MIG/TIG welder. Haven't decided which one just yet. I do have access to a MIG welder so I'm leaning towards the TIG. Problem is, I have no experience welding but plan on taking classes to learn. Need help from you experienced welders on what type of setup would benefit me the most. My plans are to use it for fabrication and automotive purposes. Also some light projects around the house and in the garage. Something portable and not too expensive. Remember I have NO experience welding. Just don't want to break the bank the first time out. Most likely will go with a TIG setup since I have access to a MIG but would like opinions on both. Such as brand (Lincoln/Miller), usage/purpose, benefits/disadvantages of both MIG/TIG, just a general honest opinion. I have "NO" welding experience so I'm pretty much counting on your opinions when it comes time for my purchase decision. Hope that doesn't put alot of pressure on you guys, THANKS.
Joe

68firehawk
04-03-2006, 09:26 PM
Miller, Lincon, Hobart, ect.
The Namebrand welders are all good.
The more you spend the better you get.

If you really want a tig it is best to spend the extra money and upgrade to a water cooled unit. However your looking at spending upwards of $2k. Tig is an artform and not used by many night time hobbiests.

Portible, not too expensive, is a Mig
I would opt for a Mig 220volt unit of some sort. I have a Miller 175 and it will do anything I need it to. Weld's 1/4" steel all day long yet still small enough to weld 18 guage sheetmetal. A good Mig weld can look very simular to a Tig anyway and it's faster.

The bad news is if you want a new unit your still in it for neer $1K or more once you buy the bottle and everything. Then you also want an auto darkening mask so you don't burn your face off tacking things together (bad experince :). And they are another $300.

my two cents anyway
Jake

CRCRFT78
04-03-2006, 09:53 PM
I'm not against taking the time to learn how to weld correctly. I just thought that since I have access to a MIG that a TIG would seem sensible to purchase. I do plan on taking classes for both types of welding. I would just hate to make a wasteful decision with my lack of knowledge. I do appreciate your opinion. Its exactly what I'm looking for. I'm expecting to spend no less than $1k but also not against going past $2k. As long as its a sensible purchase. No need to buy a $5k welder when I have no experience. Please keep the info coming. Thanks.
Joe

Matt@RFR
04-03-2006, 10:24 PM
If you have time, I think it would be wise to take the classes first, then decide which type of welder you want in your shop.

...yet still small enough to weld 18ga sheetmetal.

This drives me insane. Look at the rated bottom-end of every decent MIG from every manufacturer. Ok, let me save you the time...the vast majority of them are 30amps. The 135's bottom end is 30 amps. The 400 amp machine's bottom end is 30 amps.The bigger machines weld thin sheetmetal better than the small machines. Why? Because they have the same bottom end, and they're built better.

CRCRFT78
04-03-2006, 10:39 PM
I do plan on taking classes for both MIG & TIG. I have access to a MIG whenever I want/need it. So I'm leaning towards a TIG welder. That way I've got both at my disposal. It may seem a little premature to make that kind of decision before actually taking classes but I don't see the harm in it if I will take classes for both types of welding. That is why I need some expert advice. I don't want to make the wrong decision. THANKS.
Joe

CRCRFT78
04-04-2006, 06:33 PM
Ok, this is starting to get a little confusing. But I want to know your opinions on these 2 machines. I am considering purchasing both for the time being. Then make an upgrade once my skills are better. They look like decent machines to practice with at home in the garage. What do you think? http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/tls/147256209.html (http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/tls/147256209.html)
http://www.craigslist.org/sby/tls/148028997.html (http://www.craigslist.org/sby/tls/148028997.html)

MrQuick
04-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Hey Joe,
don't buy anything yet. Go up to Ohlone or Canada college and take the class. By your 2nd week you will know what machine to buy.

Don't feel rushed to go out and buy one now. Might even find a good deal with them. Vin

68firehawk
04-04-2006, 07:44 PM
This drives me insane. Look at the rated bottom-end of every decent MIG from every manufacturer. Ok, let me save you the time...the vast majority of them are 30amps. The 135's bottom end is 30 amps. The 400 amp machine's bottom end is 30 amps.The bigger machines weld thin sheetmetal better than the small machines. Why? Because they have the same bottom end, and they're built better.

Sorry matt. I guess I didn't mean that bigger welder's were not capible of welding smaller guage metal. It's just in my experience some of the bigger welder's don't have a infinite viarable amp dials. I know my Miller 175 welds better then the 200 series we have in the shop because your not tied down to the 10 or so different settings. Now that most of the newer migs have the infinate amp dials this probably isn't an issue.

Jake

Matt@RFR
04-04-2006, 09:14 PM
Jake, I'll give you that. But then again, I really hate using any MIG with tap voltage adjustment. On the flip side, the tap settings usually prove better for beginners.

DeepBlue68
04-08-2006, 11:57 PM
If I were you, I would seriously consider taking a class (if not several) for each process before you buy anything (except a hood maybe). I'm not sure how patient of a person you are, but I think you'll find that you're not going to sit down with a TIG welder the first day and lay down a perfect stack of dimes. It's taken me a while to be able to TIG the way I can now, and I am by no means very good. TIG is most certainly an art form, in that it isn't a matter of whether or not you can do it, it's how well you can do it. That's not to say MIG is easy, but IMO it's much faster to pick up. My point is, you may start welding MIG and TIG and decide that you love/hate one or the other, and if you've already spent $1000 or more on a machine for a process you don't want to use, that's a lot of wasted money.

Also, I would definitely not spend a thousand or more on a machine now and just say you'll upgrade in a year or so. That is a ton of wasted money. The first time you buy, buy the biggest/best/most features you think you'll ever use, because it would really suck to buy a welder and then feel like you've outgrown it in a year's time. Unless you've just got unlimited funds to throw around...in that case, have fun, and know that I'm jealous! :hail: