PDA

View Full Version : What parts to get first

RaceMan
04-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Just wondering what anyone thinks I should do first, I'm getting ready to start the rear suspension , I've mini tubbed and I bought the DSE rear shock mount (not in yet) and I'm gonna go with the DSE 4 link . What should I get first the rear (9in) or the wheels and tires or the 4 link . Do you get the rear and then measure for wheels or the other way. I was thinking wheels first but not really sure .
Thanks for any input :help:

OneslowZ28
04-07-2006, 04:04 AM
LoL that is a very good question. i am very curious to know the same. I was going to do mine Rims, Axle, 4 Link. I was going to get the Rims and tires i want and make them fit. haha then i was going to get some junk axle shafts to bolt to the rims with some 3" exhaust tubing to simulate the rear axle and take that measurment to the axle shop. its a lot cheaper to cut and mess up exhaust than an axle. makes sense in my mind but we will have to see what everyone else thinks.

rob07002
04-07-2006, 05:12 AM
Get the wheels first, fit them in the wheelwells exactly where you want them, then you can measure the inside and get the rear to whatever length you want.

RaceMan
04-07-2006, 06:33 PM
thanks robo7002 thats kinda what if thought , I guess the next question would be whats the best offset or back spacing to get , I want a somewhat deep looking wheel but I quess you need to think about brakes Thanks for anyones thoughts on this

Stupidnewbie
04-08-2006, 03:04 PM
If you are switching to a Ford 9", I'd recommend getting the rear axle in first and then decide on the wheels. That's what I'm doing, but I'm having the axle shortened, so I'd much rather have it in the car and measure for proper backspacing rather than try to figure it in my head, order all the parts, and hope they fit right. That way, if your rear axle shows up 1/2" too wide or short, it won't throw a monkey wrench into your plan. You can just adjust with backspacing at that point.

Edit: Narrowing your rear axle will also help you achieve a deep dish on the wheels.

Kenova
04-08-2006, 04:45 PM
thanks robo7002 thats kinda what if thought , I guess the next question would be whats the best offset or back spacing to get , I want a somewhat deep looking wheel but I quess you need to think about brakes Thanks for anyones thoughts on this
I think you are on the right track. Make sure your rear end is wide enough for the brake assembly to clear your rear sub frame, then adjust your back spacing to put the tire where you want it.
Ken

Lowend
04-09-2006, 12:12 PM
I dunno, I would consider starting with the rearend. The dimension of that are pretty much set (width/size of pumpkin ect). Get the 4 link next, and than order the wheels once you see what the actual installed dimension of all the stuff is

rob07002
04-10-2006, 06:06 AM

Check out the wheel fitment database in the wheels and tires section. Tons of guys with minitubs and the backspacing used. The lees bs the deeper the dish, however you don't want it offset too much because it will put undue strain on your bearings and seals. I think most guys with a first gen and mini tubs run a 6" bs.....

As far as getting the rear measurement, if you explain to them (Moser, Currie, DTS, etc) what your doing and the brakes yuo intend to run you'll find them very helpful in helping you figure out how long to make the rear. I think most disc brake setups will take up about a 1/4"....

DonQuehotey
04-10-2006, 06:56 AM
If it were me, I would set up the axle and rear end first.... then when you get it installed, you can measure out the car and get the wheels built to the exact backspace that you need. This will also prevent you from purchasing a set of wheels and then changing the game plan like your rear brake package ect that would require a different backspace.

6'9"Witha69
04-10-2006, 11:59 AM
If it were me, I would set up the axle and rear end first.... then when you get it installed, you can measure out the car and get the wheels built to the exact backspace that you need. This will also prevent you from purchasing a set of wheels and then changing the game plan like your rear brake package ect that would require a different backspace.This is exactly the order/logic I would use.

zero g
04-10-2006, 02:16 PM
I would get the wheels and tires first, then have the rear narrowed to place the wheels exactly where you want them. Unless you are buying a 9" already set up for your ride.