PDA

View Full Version : torquing big block heads

copo69
10-11-2004, 04:20 PM
help someone stole my big block manual with the torquing steps to doing big block chevy heads . can someone please send me a torque sequence chart for the bbc heads . [email protected] thanks much guys :rolleyes5

Matt@RFR
10-11-2004, 04:36 PM
Start with the center-most bolt. Mentally draw a spiral, working towards the ends of the head, and tighten in that pattern. This works for all applicable bolt patterns, automotive or not.

Fastener torque is friction, put to numbers. Try to torque the bolts in two steps. If you sneak up on the torque value (as suggested by the fastener manufacturer, NOT a random book) you run the risk of a false reading. You can get false readings because, as you try to break the friction of a tightened bolt for that final 10-20ft. lbs., it can actually take more torque to get it moving than what is necessary for your final reading.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense. It'll be interesting how many different methods come up. My bet is 6. Any takers?

copo69
10-11-2004, 05:04 PM
i wanted the diagram because mine is gone for the young kid nextdoor to have yes this makes sense to me