PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED: Jim Mulvey's 69 Camaro

Steve Chryssos
04-03-2006, 05:48 AM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

I stopped by TLTRacetek to find that major progress has been made to Jim Mulvey's 69 Camaro. The car is back on the ground for the first time in months. The all aluminum 18 degree small block is ready to fire.
All that's left is to wire the dash, button up the interior, adjust the suspension and perform some last minute details. Then it's time for a good shakedown.

Recent additions include:
-DSE Rad support cover
-Ron Davis cooling system
-Marquez Design lights front and rear
-First ever for a hot rod: Manumatic floor shifter from a new Chrysler as well as a paddle shifter.
-Hughes 4L80E with TCI Controller
-Custom TLTRacetek 3" exhaust.
More pix here:
http://homepage.mac.com/streetfytr/Racetek/PhotoAlbum43.html

andrewb70
04-03-2006, 06:09 AM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

I stopped by TLTRacetek to find that major progress has been made to Jim Mulvey's 69 Camaro. The car is back on the ground for the first time in months. The all aluminum 18 degree small block is ready to fire.
All that's left is to wire the dash, button up the interior, adjust the suspension and perform some last minute details. Then it's time for a good shakedown.

Recent additions include:
-DSE Rad support cover
-Ron Davis cooling system
-Marquez Design lights front and rear
-First ever for a hot rod: Manumatic floor shifter from a new Chrysler as well as a paddle shifter.
-Hughes 4L80E with TCI Controller
-Custom TLTRacetek 3" exhaust.
More pix here:
http://homepage.mac.com/streetfytr/Racetek/PhotoAlbum43.html

Very nice!

Andrew

Todds69
04-03-2006, 06:30 AM
That's nice!

DJW32
04-03-2006, 08:13 AM
Super clean

rohrt
04-03-2006, 09:11 AM
The owner wouldn't happen to be a doctor by any chance? :bananna2:

Steve Chryssos
04-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Actually, no. It's an inside joke. In it's original form, the 900-plus HP car was more of a sledgehammer than a precision driving instrument. So the joe was that we cut up a perfectly good sledgehammer to make a scalpel.

The name stuck.

Ralph LoGrasso
04-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Looks good!

69Nova
04-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Why both the manumatic floor shifter and paddle shifter? Is it just for the cool factor, I'm just wondering. Car looks awsome. Maby a little vidoe of the shakedown???

Steve Chryssos
04-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Why both the manumatic floor shifter and paddle shifter? Is it just for the cool factor, I'm just wondering. Car looks awsome. Maby a little vidoe of the shakedown???

Yup. Cool factor.
It was more a case of "why not?" The top exotics like Porsche or Bentley provide shifting from both the wheel and the floor. We wanted to build the first hot rod that is so equipped. Also Jim and I agree: Most aftermarket shifters can be a royal pain in the neck to operate on a daily basis. Reverse lock out this, ratchet action that--pull up, push down, grab lockout lever, slap your knee twice...

So the goal was to find the right factory gated shifter. During that search, we realized that we might as well source a manumatic enabled part. The Chrysler unit is brand new and cost about $350 from the dealer. From there, the electronics required heavy modification. So for future installs, I have my eye on an Acura shifter.

There WILL be video.

69Nova
04-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Yup. Cool factor.
It was more a case of "why not?" The top exotics like Porsche or Bentley provide shifting from both the wheel and the floor. We wanted to build the first hot rod that is so equipped. Also Jim and I agree: Most aftermarket shifters can be a royal pain in the neck to operate on a daily basis. Reverse lock out this, ratchet action that--pull up, push down, grab lockout lever, slap your knee twice...

So the goal was to find the right factory gated shifter. During that search, we realized that we might as well source a manumatic enabled part. The Chrysler unit is brand new and cost about $350 from the dealer. From there, the electronics required heavy modification. So for future installs, I have my eye on an Acura shifter.

There WILL be video.

Well thats awsome. I'm suprised the Chrysler unit is that cheap. I can't wait for the video :3gears: (we need a smilie that pulls gears with manumatic technology)

RobM
04-03-2006, 08:05 PM
cars bitchen, but i have an unrelated question... what kind of camara was used for those photos? the pictures are so nice. im tired of my crappy digital camara from the 90's

Steve Chryssos
04-03-2006, 09:22 PM
These pix were taken with an "older" Nikon Coolpix 5000 on an $89 tripod. Sometimes that tripod can make all the difference

Beegs
04-03-2006, 09:32 PM
I like that backdrop on that shot, car is badA$$ !!