PDA

View Full Version : A little advice please

negcreep
04-02-2006, 10:16 AM
I own a 69 camaro with a bb 427 475hp. I have super comps and 3" dual exhaust with flowmaster 50 series. No crossover or H-pipe. Rear exit tailpipes. The car is too loud inside for me. Without scrapping a complete ceramic coated system, what are my options to quiet this thing down. I have dynamat throughout the car. Also the car is quite low, so muffler clearance is a possible issue. thanks for any input.

dhardison
04-02-2006, 11:04 AM
A "X" or "H" crossover will make a noticeable difference in interior resonance, especially the "X" crossover.

chadz11
05-10-2007, 04:42 AM
I have the exact same problem. 69 camaro, big block, $900.00 worth of dynomat,x pipe, lots of interior noise. I've heard that getting rid of the flowmasters will help a lot. I'm about to try moroso spiral flow mufflers placed between the rearend and gas tank , like the original chambered exhaust. I heard that these mufflers are loud outside, but have very little or no interior resonance. Plus I figure by putting the mufflers out back instead of under the floor, that should help some too.

AMD6769
05-11-2007, 09:19 PM
try super 40 and x pipe I have done a few

evan
05-12-2007, 10:42 AM
try super 40 and x pipe I have done a few
I thought the 50 series was supposed to be quieter than the Super 40's.

streetk14
05-13-2007, 07:37 PM
A "X" or "H" crossover will make a noticeable difference in interior resonance, especially the "X" crossover.

I agree, add a crossover of some type. The x-style will help with the noise more than the H-style.

I would also change the mufflers. Which Flowmasters do you have (40 series. 50 series, etc.)? If you have the original style 40 series, they resonate inside the car like crazy.

If space is limited, you may want to look at Spintech's. I had them on my '68 and they sounded cool, and were very compact. They got rid of the flowmaster drone, bit still had that chambered muffler sound. I'm actually thinking of putting a set on my '67.

Andy

69ratfed
05-14-2007, 10:31 AM
I had the Flowmaster 40 series. I ended up with 3'' X-pipe, Spintec Sportsman XL mufflers and 3''Torque Tech tailpipes. Fit nice and lost about 80-90% interior noise.

68Formula
05-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Dynomax Turbos are decently quiet and flow as good as or better than most Flowmasters. The crossover will help a little and also in most cases improves the flow. Another trick is to downsize the tailpipes. Usually that far downstream after already gone through the mufflers, downsizing the tailpipes will reduce the noise without increasing the restriction. So since you are at 3" I"d go down to 2.5" tailpipes.

Josh
05-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Start with the SPintechs, Sportsman streets. If not quiet enough add the x pipe, That would make your drive train and set up exact same as mine and it is tolerable yet still mean sounding..

evan
05-14-2007, 01:21 PM
In your case I wouldn't go with Dynomax Turbos. I've got them on my truck and even at just over 300hp they are a little too snappy for me. My friend calls them "cowboy mufflers". The drone is considerable too.

negcreep
05-14-2007, 03:51 PM
I assume that the spintec's, and the dynomax mufflers are comparable in girth and length. How about locating the x-pipe in the system. I would like to get it in the right spot and still be able to dump the tranny out of the bottom without taking the system apart. thanks

69ratfed
05-15-2007, 04:53 AM
I assume that the spintec's, and the dynomax mufflers are comparable in girth and length. How about locating the x-pipe in the system. I would like to get it in the right spot and still be able to dump the tranny out of the bottom without taking the system apart. thanks

I know this isn't what you are wanting but if you put a set of ball/cones on the front end of mufflers then you can take out the x-pipe and the pipes going to mufflers all at once. Hopefully you won't have to do that very often.

evan
05-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Where do you guys buy your Spintechs?

streetk14
05-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Where do you guys buy your Spintechs?

I got mine direct from Dr. Gas/Spintech

Here's the ones I had: http://www.drgas.com/store/product.php?productid=99&cat=1&page=1

Andy

streetk14
05-15-2007, 05:11 PM

I'm not sure the exact measurements, but I think the Spintechs are smaller than most mufflers I've used.

I would also suggest using the ball & socket connections so you can remove the x-pipe when needed to work on the car. Dr. Gas has all the stuff you need. They supplied me with mandrel bent head-pipes, the crossover and ball & socket flanges.

Andy

69ratfed
05-16-2007, 05:06 AM
What he said.:lol:

I'm not sure the exact measurements, but I think the Spintechs are smaller than most mufflers I've used.

I would also suggest using the ball & socket connections so you can remove the x-pipe when needed to work on the car. Dr. Gas has all the stuff you need. They supplied me with mandrel bent head-pipes, the crossover and ball & socket flanges.

Andy