PDA

View Full Version : Plug Wires

kman67rsss
03-31-2006, 03:03 PM
Hey guys im looking for some new plug wires for my BBC. Ive got a pair of taylors on there now and was looking to upgrade. i was looking at a few sets of moroso wires. Looking for PN suggestions and what others are using. thanks

Blown353
03-31-2006, 03:27 PM
Moroso Spiral Cores, Taylor 409's, or Magnecor's are all good choices. I really like Magnecor but they can be a bit spendy and are more difficult to find. What's wrong with your current taylors? If they're not burned or cracked and they all measure out the same when it comes resistance per unit length measurements I'd leave them alone. The new fad of super low resistance wires is just that-- a fad. No power gains to be had (selling your plug wires by checking the resistance with a little ohmmeter does not at all indicate how well 40kV of coil voltage will travel through it) and they're usually noisy from an EMI standpoint.

kman67rsss
03-31-2006, 06:01 PM
My taylors, i think they were 409's are cracked and burned in a few places and i believe they are whats causing a miss im chasing.

Blown353
03-31-2006, 06:38 PM
Start the engine in the dark and watch and listen for arcs (they'll sound like very distinct "snaps") You can also hit them with a water mist from a spray bottle in your suspect problem areas.

Damaged insulation on plug wires can definately cause problems as the current will take the easiest ground path, and with damaged wires that usually means it never gets to the plug!

The 10.4mm 409's are nice wires, they have extra-thick insulation which adds a lot of dielectic resistance and additional heat protection.

NOVA
03-31-2006, 07:01 PM
what about some MSD'S?

kman67rsss
04-01-2006, 02:22 PM
How are they. im not dedicated to any particular brand just want a good wire. thanks for the input

gmachinz
04-07-2006, 02:56 PM
We use Taylor 409's and Thundervolts exclusively. Best for the money in my opinion. Second choice would be Magnecor-I like buying USA made stuff when I can. MSD is supposed to be high quality but I emailed their tech. department about some specs (and nothing that would endanger there company or give away secrets) but they were extremely vague and only offered tech sections in their catalog which I have anyway-and it was no help-obviously. Taylor gave me comparisons to MSD products and I was told about actual performance numbers and I wanted to see if this was accurate so I attempted to gain some info from MSD, they were not helpfull in denying or confirming their own product performance-I am suspect of their quality and performance anyway. Of course, if Joe-blow racer is paid to use them of course he will say MSD is the best and if Joe-blow uses it, they must be good so I will too! That is the mentality MSD is living on anymore imo. This does not apply to their higher end stuff like their digital controllers and NOS ignition systems-I do think that stuff is high quality. I think their wires are junk tho. -Jabin

rocketman
04-08-2006, 03:16 PM
i run msd 8.5's on everything.if they will power a 2200hp 748 pro mod motor they will power anything.i used to run taylors and had nothing but problems switched to msd.i have never had problem calling msd,always very helpful.it takes taylors large core wire to equall the perfermance of msd'd 8.5's

Doug G
04-22-2006, 09:28 AM
MSD wires here and holding up great.