PDA

View Full Version : C5 master cylinder

68ls1
10-11-2004, 11:01 AM
I was thinking of using a C5 M/C on my hydroboost conversion in an attempt to save some weight over the C3 alternative. I was told that the C5 version uses 12mm ISO metric bubble flair fittings. Does anyone know for sure if GM or anyone else makes the required cross-overs from this jackass fitting to normal brake line thread? If so where could I get them?

Thanks in advance.

Noel.

ILLEGAL69
10-26-2004, 03:35 PM
Have you had any luck yet Noel?

Does the C5 MC have a deep or shallow piston in it?

I want to use a newer style MC with my hydroboost unit, but it has a deep style rod in it.

yody
10-26-2004, 09:28 PM
i am using the LS1 master, i will be trying to locate some adapters also, i have seen/heard them before, check your local napa or real parts store, CARLC has them on his car.

68protouring454
10-27-2004, 04:10 AM
why make an adapter, just buy the 30 dollar iso flaring tool and buy some ends from gm, probaly be as cheap, although maybe the dapters are cheap, it may look alot cleaner depending on the length of the adapter.
jake

yody
10-27-2004, 05:36 AM
where is 30 dollar iso tool, and will it make decent flares?

68protouring454
10-27-2004, 08:41 AM
cody, the flare tool i was talking about is a cheap tool, 30 bucks, and ATD tool sells it, alot of different small business's use there warehouse as they carry cheap and good name tools, all in one place, anyway i have a catalog here that they sell an iso flaring tol for 30 bucks, it is made by OTC who make decent stuff, and it comes with 4.75, 6 and 8 and 10 mm adapters for flaring
otc-4504 is the part number, you could cut your stock end off, and reflare, maybe loosing 1/8th max off length of brake line, which no one would ever see, goodluck
jake

Hydratech®
11-02-2004, 05:19 PM
I have sent a few customers to http://www.performanceplumbing.com/ with excellent results. Here is one customer link, with excellent pictures of his Performance Plumbing supplied lines / fittings: http://community.webshots.com/user/rswhite

rwhite_692
11-03-2004, 10:17 AM
I'd like to thank Paul at Hydratech for his help, and for producing such a complete and well-engineered system. IMHO, It is, without a doubt, the best bang-for-the-buck improvement I've ever installed on a car. I won't build another project car without it.

-Rob

68protouring454
11-03-2004, 10:37 AM
looks great, did you make the stainless lines from the master to the prop valve?? or order them that size?? also i take it that is just the proper thread banjo bolt?? let us know
jake

rwhite_692
11-03-2004, 11:34 AM
I had performance plumbing make me up the braided lines. I forget the price, but it was very reasonable. I wouldn't chance making these myself. I used three of them, each 5" long.

One goes from the rear wheel brake port on the master (this is the most forward port on the master) to the wilwood prop valve, then another flex line goes from the output of the prop valve to the rear brake line, and another flex line goes from the front brake port on the master (the most rearward port) to a Tee, to which each of the front brake lines (L+R) connect.

The banjo fittings for the 98-up (LS1) master cylinder are as follows:

Pure Choice Motorsports 928-505-8355

http://www.performanceplumbing.com

M/C adapter 12mm x 1.0mm thread x -3 AN Part No. 12100-3 $6.50

M/C adapter 10mm x 1.5mm thread x -3 AN Part No. 10150-3 $6.50

Hydratech®
11-03-2004, 06:10 PM
Details that could use some further clarification:

It needs to be pointed out that the C5 Vette mc is indeed different than the last gen F-car mc, as seen on Rob's car. The difference is that the C5 mc has a more so level fluid tank (in relation to the casting), the brake lines connect on the opposite / driver's side of the mc, and the line fitting sizes are both 12mm - otherwise they are the same bore size, same disc / disc configuration, same bolt pattern and mc pushrod depth.

Rob - thanks much for the kind words, as we really do work hard to produce these systems. Whenever we say it, it sounds like "sales pitch, blah blah, greatest thing since sliced bread, blah blah sales pitch" - now when it comes from a satisfied customer's point of view... :jump: