PDA

View Full Version : What shocks to purchase?

LS168Camaro
03-31-2006, 06:37 AM
I need to replace all 4 shocks on my 68 Camaro and can't decide on what shocks to use. I have tried searching the archives but it is hard to find information on what actually works.
The car currently has hotckis springs and sway bars so hotchkis recommends their Bilstein shocks. I think the other best option would be the QA-1's? I have thought about upgrading the front or rear suspension to some sort of coilover setup but haven't heard of any real world experience that it is worth the cost.
I drive this car regularly so ride quality is most important. I make it to the dragstrip a few times a year and should be hitting my first road course in 3 weeks.
With the hotckis springs/swaybar on the front I have zero weight transfer so I will be adding some caltracs before I go to the dragstrip as traction is a problem. I can't even get below 2.00 for a sixty time yet. If I have to I could change the front springs for the dragstrip but would love to have something that would work well at both.
Thanks for any help.
Bryan
[email protected]

LS168Camaro
03-31-2006, 02:14 PM
Okay I have researched here as much as I could and learned quite a bit but still don't have a solid game plan. A safe bet would be the hotckis tuned Bilsteins since I have there setup already. But I am intriqued by some adjustable types that would allow me ot hook up better at the dragstrip. Koni's seem to be a good option for their adjustability but I am a little unclear if you can get double or only single adjustable.
I may be asking too much to be able to do street, drag, road course setup without doing some changing. I am guessing I would need to change the front springs/shocks for the dragstrip if I really want to be able to hookup. Though i am intriqued by Nine Ball's extreme G with the QA1's and able to get the front wheels off the ground.
Can anyone chime in on thoughts or results between the koni's, bilsteins, or a QA1 setup? I don't mind spending some money to get a coilover setup but it is hard to find some real world experience that it is that much better?
Basically I don't want to spend 400 bucks on a set of shocks and six months later change to a differen't setup (coil overs/control arms/afx spindle) and have to buy shocks all over again.
Thanks for any help.
Bryan
[email protected]

justforfun
03-31-2006, 05:39 PM
I am also trying to decide on shocks for an ls1 67 vert bird. I have spent a significant amount of time read everything i can find on this site and many others. The top recomendation seems to be Bilstein most of the time. A significant reason seems to be the price compared to koni or QA1. Second on this site seems to be QA1's but most other sites seem to hate them for street/autocross use, but love the R version for drag racing. Not many people have anything bad to say about koni's other than they have to be removed to be adjusted. I am leaning towards Koni b/c i don't really plan on adjusting them that often except for maybe an autoX once a year & drag strip twice a year plus they are only $20 more a shock than bilstein. Just not sure how well they would work at the drag strip.

LS168Camaro
04-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the info. If the Koni's are better at the strip or anywhere for that matter they are worth it for me. Though I am not sure if it will matter at the strip with the hotckis springs on front as they don't seem to allow in front end travel. I think there are some issues with the QA1's as far as longevitiy/durability for a daily driver. I'm sure the R version works will but wouldn't be good for my application. I'll let you know what happens whether I get Koni's or Bilsteins.
Thanks,
Bryan

madmax
04-03-2006, 11:54 AM
I don't know what it is worth, and if this is off topic, but I have a set of Koni's for sale. PM me

Max

ItDoRun
04-07-2006, 09:30 AM
I called Global West concerning the setup I was going with and they recommended adjustable Koni's in the front and adjustable QA1's in the rear. My goal is to have a good solid street suspension with a killer stance and an occasional trip to the drag strip, but I really can't see spending that kind of money for rear shocks. But...the trees are starting to bloom here in South Louisiana, so I'll keep my eye out for that money tree to start producing. Anyone got any fertilizer suggestions for a money tree? This thing just won't put out!

LS168Camaro
04-25-2006, 07:20 AM
In case anyone is looking through the archives I wanted to let you know I ended up going with the Bilteins from Hotckis. I am very happy with the improvement over the old worn out shocks but I don't have any comparison like the koni's or Qa1's. It has a much better ride especially over bumps and dips or holes in the road. I also had the subframe connectors welded up and with those 2 additions it is a much more comfortable car. I took it out on a road course this weekend and had lots of fun but I am not an experienced driver so I can't give alot of input on that. Next I will bolt on the caltracs and may try it with the bilsteins but I also have their Rancho rear shocks and some 90/10s for the front to try. Will update if I can get below 2.00 sixty foots soon.