PDA

View Full Version : Yunick Camaro

element180
03-31-2006, 02:17 AM
Just wondering,does anyone know what mods Smokey Yunick did to his '68 Camaro.I know he He lowered the roof and raked the windshield,among other things but does anyone know the specs of the mods?

Damn True
03-31-2006, 09:23 AM
He also Z'd the front subframe, pancaked the front clip, narrowed the body, built a drop floor, boxed the a-arms, acid dipped the entire body, remote pressure fill engine oil, R.A.S. pressureized fuel system, vacuum canisters in the brake system to pull the pistons back, ton's of additional cross bracing and probably a ton of other stuff that people to this day have yet to discover.

It's essentially a 7/8 scale Camaro.

element180
03-31-2006, 03:00 PM
I read an article that said you had to stare at it for hours to even notice some of the changes but I've yet to find one that goes into any real detail about (the known) mods :dunno:

Damn True
03-31-2006, 03:08 PM
Probably the only (living) guy that knows is the mech that works for Vic that restored it.

atomicjoe23
02-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Here's two links to articles about that car. . .

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/vintage/camaro.html

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/stories/hr601/best_camaro.html

I have another, newer article from Muscle Car Review (who don't have a website. . .at least that I can find). . .the article is very thourough and they talk with Mike Eddy (did the restoration for Vic Edelbrock). . .the article also reviews the '69 Mustang Boss 302 that he also races in the vintage TransAm series). If you are really interested in it PM (or email) me your address and I will send you a copy of the article. . .there is also a third article which is a review of the TransAm series from 1966-1971 that I could also inlcude if you are interested.

I saw this car at the last Coronado Speed Festival. . .I loved it when I saw it in the magazines and was amazed when I saw it in real (same can be said for all of the vintage SCCA TransAm cars though).

Widetracker
02-18-2007, 09:35 PM
The article you are refering to was out sometime around September-October 05. It also says that Smokey used thinner glass in addition to the mods listed above.