PDA

View Full Version : Popular Hot Rodding Looking For New Staff Member

Johnny Hunkins
10-11-2004, 10:45 AM
Are you working a day job that sucks while working on your car at night? Are your credit cards all maxed because you've bought too many car parts? Are you always answering tech questions for others and not getting paid for it? Does the winter weather in your state suck? If this is you, then we may have your dream job!

Popular Hot Rodding is now taking resumes for a staff writing position here in California. There are two basic requirements: you've got to have writing chops, and you have to know g-Machines. The rest we can train you to do.

This is a cool job. We pay travel expenses, we give you free parts, and give you a place to work on your car. We even have an in-house mechanic and dynojet. Benefits are better than average, and the pay is good.

I can't promise you'll have your own TV show though.

If interested, please post here, then email me at [email protected].

Thanks,

Johnny Hunkins
editor, Popular Hot Rodding

Zefhix
10-11-2004, 11:11 AM
That's awesome!! I was born and raised in the San Fernando Valley and always thought that working for the likes of Car Craft, PHR & CHP would be a rewarding career. It's too bad I live in Vegas now. I used to know a cool chick named Taylor with an even cooler '68 Plymouth Sattelite. I remember all she wanted to do was be a photographer for car craft and after hassling someone from PHR one friday night at Cruiser's Car Wash, she was able to set the ball in motion and eventually became a staff writer.........good times. :)
Hope you get another good one.

zbugger
10-11-2004, 12:00 PM
I'll be emailing you as soon as I get home. I really need a better job, and this is just a dream. I need to be pinched......

derekf
10-11-2004, 12:07 PM
Johnny, you've got mail.

I'm probably underqualified and overpriced, but I've got to put in for it, right?

will69camaro
10-11-2004, 01:41 PM
Do you have to have a college degree? I'm obviously very interested in cars and this sounds like an awesome opportunity! Not sure how the parents would feel about me leaving college (pursuing mechanical engineering right now).

William

yody
10-11-2004, 01:48 PM
give the job to Zbugger, he needs it, he could write a comedy page, and put some pictures of hot girls in it!! but really...where in CA? i take it near LA? what kind of salary are we talking here?......well I guess if that was a question, you might not be fit for it.

4FTTY4
10-11-2004, 09:28 PM
I may not have the qualifications, but I'm still interested! :1st:

Martin71RS
10-11-2004, 11:43 PM
Very interested, only commuting would be a slight problem :pat:

Martin

Tiger
10-12-2004, 07:14 AM
Johnny,

You have got mail from Italy.

Ciao
André

Steve1968LS2
10-12-2004, 07:20 AM
So lets see here...

Working a day job that sucks? Check

Spend too much money on car parts? Check

Answering tech questions for free? Check

Winter weather? Well I'm in SoCal so no check there ;)

I think I will be working on my resume tonight.. Johnny, you have mail.

Steve

jeff s
10-13-2004, 08:46 AM
Hey Johnny, I'm available.
Jeff Schwartz

DLinson
10-13-2004, 09:35 AM
This really sounds like a job for Tony Huntimer. He's already a published writer on the subject, he likes cars, builds cars, but his winters don't suck, and I can't imagine working for Speed Merchants is a terrible job.

Anyway, if it were an election, I'd vote for Tony. :usa:

CAMAROBOY69
10-13-2004, 11:16 AM
This does sound like a good job for Tony or Allen but I want to give it a try.
Are you working a day job that sucks while working on your car at night? YES
Are your credit cards all maxed because you've bought too many car parts? YES
Are you always answering tech questions for others and not getting paid for it? YES
Does the winter weather in your state suck? YES
Does your current job pay so little that you can hardly pay the rent? YES
Do you have CAD, SOlid works, and many other program experience? YES
If this is you, then we may have your dream job! YES

PHERMEMAH
10-13-2004, 02:08 PM
I am interested and definitely believe I am qualified. I need to find my resume so that I can email it tomorrow. As far as vehicles available and currently in different stages of pro-touring I have a 69 Chevelle and a '68 Camaro. Even a '66 Chevy truck that my brother owns but has grown on me since I have been driving it daily while my 69 has some work done.

By the way, this is my first post, but I have been lurking around daily for a year if not more. SO HELLO EVERYONE!

Ramon.

1969 Chevelle 350/T-56/3.08 posi/drums all around.
1968 Camaro 350/PG/pegleg/Hydroboost C4 12".

trapin
10-14-2004, 06:23 AM
What's the job pay? It sounds cool, but if I'm gonna be slurping Raman Noodles on my lunch hour and popping Hungry Man dinners in the microwave every night as a result...it ain't worth it. The weather sucks here in Michigan...but I'll live.

This job has 'Tony Huntimer' written all over it. I'm sure working at Speed Merchant is cool, but I'll bet Tony would rather be punching keys on a keyboard than a friggin cash register any day.

I'll make your job easy Johnny.....call Tony.

Richz68
10-14-2004, 09:34 AM
Hello..... email sent

PHERMEMAH
10-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Just following up. I have sent you my resume and hopefully I will be hearing from you soon.

Thank you.
Ramon

Lowend
10-15-2004, 05:27 PM
Johnny - you have mail
We really need to talk about this - I think I can offer you a lot

Ishmael
10-15-2004, 07:21 PM
So I would get to work on my car, look at cars, write about cars and get paid for this? My wife (the other journalist in the family) just dared me to apply.

TonyHuntimer
10-15-2004, 10:55 PM
DOH!

I've been so busy finishing my second book, it took me four days to see this post!

Johnny you have mail!

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

Maverick Man
10-16-2004, 10:56 PM
DOH!

I've been so busy finishing my second book, it took me four days to see this post!

Johnny you have mail!

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

finish the book first! thats more important then working for ah... us :ssst: j/k besides you have to make sure that one blue car comes out good :)

4FTTY4
10-18-2004, 05:26 PM
Has anyone gotten a response from Johnny or PHR? I was wondering if I should send a follow up email...

ProdigyCustoms
10-18-2004, 07:26 PM
What about part time? I would consider writing again (freelancing) if I could do it from the shop in Fla.? We have plenty of killer G projects going to do killer tech? Resume is plentiful.

Lowend
10-19-2004, 06:38 AM
I spoke to Johnny briefly yesterday - he is swamped at the magazine and has ~100 resumes to review. He said he and his publisher would be going though the list in the next couple of weeks and contact the finalists.

litevette
10-20-2004, 07:09 PM
Who ever gets that position be ready to be used, abused and yes, eating lots of ramen noodles. But, you will get to be around cool cars, get parts cheaper and sometimes free. It will be an enjoyable job for someone who doesn't value their time much.

TonyHuntimer
10-20-2004, 08:19 PM
Good luck to everyone.

Hey Maverick Man,

Thanks! Don't worry, book2 has been submitted. There is a blue car in it too. :)

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

For those who have asked... Book2 is about building Ford Pro-Touring cars.

Lowend
10-21-2004, 06:35 AM
litevette - I worked in radio for awhile... this can't be any worse.

JohnUlaszek
10-22-2004, 07:59 PM
Some of you guys might want to think about writing a tech article and field it to the various ediitors to get your feet wet.

Personally, I prefer GM Hi-Tech over PHR, but what do I know :)

camcojb
10-22-2004, 08:14 PM
I think it would be a very cool job. Good luck guys!

Jody

rwhite_692
11-04-2004, 09:43 PM
Johnny- you have mail

Lowend
11-05-2004, 08:36 AM
He is probably at SEMA

Mean 69
11-08-2004, 08:37 AM
John, please check your e-mail this morning. I just sent an e-mail to you regarding this and other issues.

Regards,
Mark