PDA

View Full Version : Harness bar for a 1st gen camaro?

tracar91
03-30-2006, 01:03 PM
:help!:

I'm trying to hook my friend into the whole Pro-touring/ open track day stuff with his 69 camaro. I've invited him to his first open track event but the problem is all he currently has in his car are lap belts (stock interior)

Since he is not yet hooked, he is unwilling to "Dork up" (his term) his interior to add a rollbar or harnesses. So my question to the group: has anybody made/ installed a harness bar for a first gen which won't "dork up" an interior and still allows for proper mounting of harnesses?(read: removable)

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Damn True
03-30-2006, 02:08 PM
ioPort has some nice bolt in units

Not ideal, but better than bolting your harness to the floor.

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT BOLT YOUR HARNESS TO THE FLOOR!

awr68
04-01-2006, 11:05 AM
One option is to bolt the harnesses to the rear seatbelt locations, I've heard this keeps the harness at a safe angle and keeps them removable, this is what Andrew B. and some others have done.

As True has said DONT!!! bolt them to the floor at the front seat location!!!! This is a back injury waiting to happen at best!!!

Blown353
04-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Just remember, 4 point belts without roll over protection is a no-no. Should you roll the vehicle your upper body will be unable to "bend over" because the two shoulder straps will be keeping your upper body upright and against the seatback-- and you may very well end up smashed.

This is why cars come with 3-point restraints from the factory-- in the event of a roll over the single shoulder belt allows your upper body to bend over towards the center of the car giving you a better chance of survival when the roof caves in.

And definately don't bolt the shoulder belts to the floor. Big risk of spinal compression injuries.

ilovefirstgens
04-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Why does your buddy think he needs 4 points to do one track day...

I would go so far as to say that he would be safer with the lap belts with no roll protection and 4 points and or mounted in an unsafe method.

Or he could do the morris classic concepts 3 point belt, id say its your best bet without a roll bar, plus it mounts in the stock third point location so no drilling necessary....

Midnight68
04-03-2006, 03:58 PM
I was considering getting some Corbeau 4pt retractable belts, I have no roll protection though and no real plans to install any. So in terms of street driving its safer to keep my lap belts than to install 4pt belts?

Damn True
04-04-2006, 09:06 AM
I was considering getting some Corbeau 4pt retractable belts, I have no roll protection though and no real plans to install any. So in terms of street driving its safer to keep my lap belts than to install 4pt belts?

If you aren't going to use any roll protection you should go with a 3-point seat belt system (mentioned in numerous threads in this forum). If you do roll the car you will be held upright by the harness, yet there will be nothing to prevent the roof from collapsing and crushing your skull, neck and spine. The 3-point will allow you to bend inward and mitigate this risk.

Damn True
04-04-2006, 09:08 AM
One option is to bolt the harnesses to the rear seatbelt locations, I've heard this keeps the harness at a safe angle and keeps them removable, this is what Andrew B. and some others have done.

As True has said DONT!!! bolt them to the floor at the front seat location!!!! This is a back injury waiting to happen at best!!!

Not a great idea either.

The belt material has a given stretch range. If you use the rear seatbelt attachment points as anchors for a front harness the belts will stretch excessively in a wreck and not function within design parameters.

Larry Callahan
09-22-2008, 07:06 PM
Anyone know who makes a nice removable harness bar for a '68 Camaro?

Damn True
09-23-2008, 08:19 AM
Sounds like a product opportunity.

But again, and it's been said 100 times yet people seem to ignore it, a harness system w/o rollover protection is not a good idea.

Perhaps that is why nobody makes a removable harness bar? Hmmmmmm, ya think?

Either build a car that is safe for the track, or be happy with keeping it on the street.

gmjj13
09-23-2008, 08:27 AM
i have a removeable cross bar, which makes the rear seat accessible. not sure if thats what your looking for, but i still have a 4 point bar as well

Twentyover
09-23-2008, 08:56 AM
Think it's Schroth has a 4 point (for those who feel they need it) with a double thickness web on one side, designed to bend you over in a frontal collision so you don't slide out under the lap belt. Probably better than a regular 4 point (which I personally believe is unsafe), but not as good as a 3 point or 5 point correctly installed (not like most I see) w/ a hoop

Bow Tie 67
09-23-2008, 09:42 AM
My car has a 4 point roll-bar in it just so I have a mounting point for my harness. I looked into fabing up a harness bar and when it comes right down to it a roll-bar is needed. I used to run a harness bar in my 4th gen and was lucky the car never had an incident. If you plan on tracking this car, not parking lot auto-x get a roll-bar!!!

NOT A TA
10-13-2008, 06:22 PM
http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/SchrothASMII.wmv

Video showing the schroth ASM technology for 4 point harnesses. If you're one of those with 5 or 6 point that don't use the sub belts on the street watch it also and think about it.