PDA

View Full Version : need starting help

kman67rsss
10-11-2004, 08:16 AM
im pretty sure this is timing related but any help would be great as i am getting frustrated. any way im trying to start the BBC in my 67. i have fuel and spark. the car cranks fine, but nothing happens. i have had a few back fires through the carb, but that is it. i lined up the balancer at TDC, and checked with a screwdriver to make sure the piston was there. it is. i dropped the dist. in with the rotor pointing to the #1 cylinder. hook up all wires and try cranking it over and nothing happens. any suggestions. my next step is to try the dist 180* out.

Zefhix
10-11-2004, 08:44 AM
im pretty sure this is timing related but any help would be great as i am getting frustrated. any way im trying to start the BBC in my 67. i have fuel and spark. the car cranks fine, but nothing happens. i have had a few back fires through the carb, but that is it. i lined up the balancer at TDC, and checked with a screwdriver to make sure the piston was there. it is. i dropped the dist. in with the rotor pointing to the #1 cylinder. hook up all wires and try cranking it over and nothing happens. any suggestions. my next step is to try the dist 180* out.

It's pretty common if the motor gets alot of gas and the timing is retarded just sitting on 0 at BTDC for #1. You need to advance the timing a bit by turning the dist counter clockwise a little at least to get the motor started. Same thing happened on a freinds car recently. It is at BTDC, right? You set it @ 0 on the timing tab on the compression stroke of #1? Pop the dist cap off and move (as in turn; do not remove) the dist so the rotor is pointing between 1 & 8 (closer to 8) should fire right up then, without letting the car idle ever (for the first 20 min) briefly jump the motor up to 3500 and just make sure the motor is in the 28-32 neighborhood on the timing light. After you've broken the motor in you can rev it a little higher to make sure you're not getting any more advance and set it at 32 and go driving. Listen for detonation...tune from there. Good luck!
If the car still doesn't start, change the spark plugs, they may be gas fouled....

CoryM
10-11-2004, 08:45 AM
Turn your engine over by hand with your thumb over the #1 sparkplug hole until you feel air being forced past. Then look at the timing marks and line it up at 0. Thats TDC#1. Then drop the distributor in. I often set it to 6-8degrees before TDC then line up the triggers on the ignition to get the timing closer to spec. Not required though so if you dont understand what I mean drop it in at 0degrees :) . If your timing is correct, make sure your valve train is not too tight and holding the valves open. More than likely it is the dist 180 out as it happens all the time. Ive done it once, and I knew better :doh: