PDA

View Full Version : Just bought my F1R!!!

whytry
03-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Been working on all the details for awhile now, and decided to get the F1R instead of the D1sc, better option for me. Eventhough I have higher than normal compression the F1R has the capabilities to do what I want now and eventually grow when I drop compression...

Just wanted to say thanks to everybody here for helping me along the process of what to get and why, from the Procharger itself to the Fuel system....

Special thanks to Frank @ Prodigy for taking care of this for me too!!!:headbang: :headbang:

Pics to follow once installed, should be about a month.

Steve68
03-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Hope your gonna FI it ??

ProdigyCustoms
03-28-2006, 08:34 PM
He's only running 10lbs for now, so a carb will not be a issue. Plus he has a special guest tuner helping, and it ain't me!

Steve68
03-29-2006, 03:37 AM
What is Bull going to Cali to help tune it, HAHAHAHA

You going out Sunday??? I'm working on the Nova bringing it back to life!

ProdigyCustoms
03-29-2006, 04:23 AM
No, Street racer looks like it blew up in the shop, in a million pieces. travis, 69CamaroRacer will be here tonight, and we are taking his out Friday night, but porbably not Sunday

jdpepper
03-29-2006, 07:37 AM
He's only running 10lbs for now, so a carb will not be a issue. Plus he has a special guest tuner helping, and it ain't me!

Why would a carb be an issue over 10lbs?

Steve68
03-29-2006, 08:52 AM
Your going out Fri to play in the water with the imports?? I was there 2 weeks ago, no track prep for 1 and 2 at all, i'll call you on Fri. and see if your going out, What happen to JBI?

frank will be better for the Boost "Q's" too much pressure on the floats is my guess, and there's other mods,

ProdigyCustoms
03-29-2006, 11:14 AM
Long story short, over 8 / 10 lbs carbs tend to get funky. Nothing was wrong with JBI, It was making some noise in the rear, new R and P, Look the converter over, engine to the dyno for tweaking, Chris Alston subframe, Losing 100+ lbs and looking for a few ponies. Now it is all apart and no time to assemble.

whytry
03-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Yeah I'm pretty excited to get it all on there.... Getting it painted too so hopefully about the time my F1R shows up my car will be done and red!!!

jdpepper
03-30-2006, 01:55 AM
Long story short, over 8 / 10 lbs carbs tend to get funky.
Yeah, I guess my car is really "funky" at 23lbs. My part throttle and cruise afr is between 13.5-14.5, idle at 14.2-14.5 and wot at 10.5-11.5 across the rpm range. Plus you don't have to rely on someone else to tune your car, all you need is a good wideband that datalogs and some jets.

It also dynoed 917 rwhp pushing right through the converter and ran low 9's footbraking on radials and through the mufflers. The car has never been on a trailer and is driven everywhere.

Believe it or not blow thru carbs work real well.

As soon as the car runs in the 8's and dyno's over a thousand rwhp I'm gonna throw some 17's on it and look for a skidpad, Now thats "FUNKY":twothumbs

whytry, if your still going w/ CSU for the carb you will not be dissapointed. I feel Kevin and Dennis have the best customer service after the sale plus they have a whole lot of happy "funky" customers with street cars in the single digits.

If you ever see my car at Sac stop by and say whats up.:twothumbs

Steve68
03-30-2006, 03:55 AM
So now you bait and slam!!!

Got any stock tips!!!

Frank so the JBI is in the same shape as my 68 parts here and parts there

ProdigyCustoms
03-30-2006, 05:03 AM
Mr pepper, that is pretty good. I also have a friend with turbos through a carb that runs 8s, so I know it can be done, but it ain't wasy. You are a hell of a tuner. Fuel injection does make things a lot easier and safer to get a good tune in all conditions.

Steve, I'll get it together in the next month or so. With the 100lbs and a few more HP, it will be knocking on the 8 second door hard. Looking at driving it on Power Tour. If a all steel, pump gas, pee wee that runs 8s at Gainesville and drives the tour doesn't get their attention, I don't know what will. Pump gas drags wouldn't pick us yet another year. I wish I could do drag week, but can only go so many places.

Steve68
03-30-2006, 07:58 AM
I'm going out Sunday, new wheels, tune the Cal tracs, put the tach where I can see, maybe I can pull a tenth or .3 out of it, still havent run a full balls to the wall pass,

jdpepper
03-30-2006, 08:22 AM
Fuel injection does make things a lot easier and safer to get a good tune in all conditions.
That is so true, the ability to add or remove fuel anywhere on the map is a great tool. Heck, if the budget allowed I would of went FI.

I wasn't trying to bait and slam you like Steve68 is saying, I use this board to learn and to share what little info I do know. I just wanted to know if you had a simple solution to the low boost carb issue.:cheers:

CSU is devolping a boost reference power valve which should be available soon. It should cure alot of the carb issues people are having w/ low boost.

Steve68
03-30-2006, 09:28 AM
Dude, you should have come right out of the box saying I know about this sheoot, hell ya I would run the blow thru set up, I wish I still had my 600B, I'd pull my BBC out of the Nova and put in my TRW D cups and run some boost! Which I still can do I just remembered my friend has a SC he wants to sell, good idea!

flynbyu82
04-02-2006, 09:23 AM
jd what wideband do you use?

jdpepper
04-02-2006, 10:25 AM
I use an Innovate LM-1 but I think anything that datalogs should be ok.

Y-TRY
04-02-2006, 08:47 PM
JD- Those A/F ratios are great! MY carb is up at CSU right now for a once over.

Question: Do you change your carb much based on what the LM-1 says? I was thinking of buying one but I figure I'll only really use it one day, to get the basic tune dialed-in, and then just watch it for kicks. My thinking is that the carb isn't something you tune dynamically, as the LM-1 reports.

jdpepper
04-02-2006, 10:44 PM
The only thing I changed on the carb after getting it back from CSU are the jets, and thats because I kept turning the boost up. Other than that everything else was dead on, Kevin and Dennis know there sheeeoot.

The LM-1 is just another tool to help me tune, you still have to know how to read plugs. Plus it allows you to datalog, it will record your engines vital signs or whatever you set it up to record. I have mine set up to record RPM-AFR-TARGETED BOOST-ACTUAL BOOST. I'll eventually start logging my fuel pressure and AIT's.

Steve68
04-03-2006, 05:05 AM
JD what size carb are you running, Engine, where and what is CSU?

jdpepper
04-03-2006, 09:36 AM
JD what size carb are you running, Engine, where and what is CSU?
750, 406ci, http://www.csucarbs.com

whytry
04-03-2006, 10:54 AM
My carb will be done in about a week.... I got the 850 from Kevin @ CSU. I am thinking about the LM1 too, but I am also currently in the same mode as Y-try

whytry
04-04-2006, 11:19 AM
I am looking at the Devil's own water injection setup, does anybody have any input on selection? How would I know when to have the water injection kit come on vs. trickle @ say 3psi and ramp up to 8 psi? I know it's not a lot of boost compares to some others...

Any opinions?

Steve68
04-04-2006, 11:32 AM
Thats for detonation right, what compression ratio are you running??

My box is empty now,

Y-TRY
04-04-2006, 07:37 PM
From what I've gathered, you can get a progressive controller (like for N2O) for the injection.

As for the LM-1: It's a lot of money to use once, IMHO. For a street car, it's not like you can actively re-tune as the data comes in, like with EFI. You pretty much just set your carb up with it, trying to compromise at all rpms and loads , and then put the LM-1 in a drawer. I guess racing would be cool to tune for temp, altitude, and humidity and stuff. In that case you can tune different every race.

Hey, JD.... I told CSU to go back to your specs for dialing mine in. Also, will you rent your LM-1 out? I'll weld-in a bung on my car and pay you $35 to use it for a week for tuning, then return it. I'm sure WHYTRY would do the same. Maybe you can re-coop some of the cost. I'll pay for shipping to-fro. Whattya say?

jdpepper
04-04-2006, 09:59 PM
From what I've gathered, you can get a progressive controller (like for N2O) for the injection.

As for the LM-1: It's a lot of money to use once, IMHO. For a street car, it's not like you can actively re-tune as the data comes in, like with EFI. You pretty much just set your carb up with it, trying to compromise at all rpms and loads , and then put the LM-1 in a drawer. I guess racing would be cool to tune for temp, altitude, and humidity and stuff. In that case you can tune different every race.

Hey, JD.... I told CSU to go back to your specs for dialing mine in. Also, will you rent your LM-1 out? I'll weld-in a bung on my car and pay you $35 to use it for a week for tuning, then return it. I'm sure WHYTRY would do the same. Maybe you can re-coop some of the cost. I'll pay for shipping to-fro. Whattya say?
Wow, why would you pay someone to modify your carb to someone else's specs? I really can't see anyone dialing anything in without the whole combo. He may be able to get you close but its really up to you(or whom ever you pay if you can't tune a carb) to get it "dialed in". Does CSU have your car? If so, I'm sure they'll get it dialed in for you.

btw, I'm not a rental company so I can't really help you out there, sorry.

whytry
04-05-2006, 03:19 PM
I just got off the phone with Kevin @ CSU and my carb is done!! He is sending it out on Friday, now its jsut await the F1R!...

I talked to Kevin pretty extensively regarding my setup, Y-TRY I would give him a call and tell him exactly what you want. I did, just make sure you have some time to chat with him (I was telling him about the motor, car, pretty much everything took about 30 minutes) but should be well worth it....

Y-TRY
04-05-2006, 06:03 PM
I did all that with Dennis. I have a CarbShop carb and it's just running too rich. However, I had it built at CarbShop when Kevin and Dennis were still there. That, along with you guys' great words, made me send it to CSU for a second opinion.

They are going through my carb and seeing if there is anything they'd do differently than it already has, and advising me on it. Plus, they will be looking for any problems that might be letting un-metered fuel into the engine (my diagnosis)

I had them refer back to JD's set-up because our combos are VERY similar, other than trans and tires. They also have all of my info and a copy of my last dyno, where the A/F goes off the charts instantly. I just figure his could be a good baseline for comparison. ( I didn't just send it to them and say "give me one like JDPepper's")

shmoov69
04-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Hey guys, how much does CSU charge? I have been wanting to send mine off for sometime to see if they can get it better. I have done the screw in air bleeds, and drilled the PVCR to try and resolve a lean issue. But it turned out that it was the intercooler tube instead.
Thanks

jdpepper
04-05-2006, 11:23 PM
whytry, BBC+F1r+Blow thru= soar face from smiling from ear to ear. Keep us posted :cool:

Y-TRY, does or will your dyno operator help you tune or is he just operating the dyno? Will they let you tune on the dyno? The reason I ask is when I dynoed my car the dyno operator not only allowed me to work on the car between dyno runs but he also worked with Kevin over the phone to help tune.

Believe it or not, I'm pretty sure if you ask Kevin and you let him know when your going back to the dyno(date and time) he will most likely make time for you to call him while your car is strapped down. To me, that alone is worth the price I paid for the mods on my carb.

My first dyno run untuned at 13psi made 620rwhp w/ an afr of 12.8-13.2. I called Kevin and he suggested to leave more timing in and add 2steps in the rear jet, that tune made 680hp with the same boost, afr was 11.8-12.2. My point is you made 780hp your first time out pig rich, when you finally get that thing dialed LOOK OUT!!!

I'm by no means a super tuner but by having the tools(LM-1) and support(CSU & SVS DYNO) I am able to extract as much power SAFELY from my combo.

shmoove69, I don't know what they charge now but here's a link to there website www.csucarbs.com (http://www.csucarbs.com)

whytry
04-06-2006, 08:24 AM
JD - thanks! I can't wait pics and video to follow.

Shmoove69 - I would call him 909-917-4683 - I bought a carb direct from him so I do not know what he would charge to work on yours. Let him know Brad with the Camaro sent ya.

Kevin's service is second to none with me so far, and he has a great rep for taking care of his customers after the sale too, which is nice. He is actually helping a friend of mine tune his carb when he is down there.

speedster
04-06-2006, 09:05 AM
I am looking at the Devil's own water injection setup, does anybody have any input on selection? How would I know when to have the water injection kit come on vs. trickle @ say 3psi and ramp up to 8 psi? I know it's not a lot of boost compares to some others...
Any opinions?

Brad -
We are dyno testing a 540BBC/F-2/Intercooled/Devil's Own water/alcohol injection system on Monday (4/10). After that, we should be able to give you some decent info on how it worked and the settings. :razz:

Y-TRY
04-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Thanks for all the great advice.

I just hope CSU can pinpoint what isn't working in my carb prep. I'm pretty sure the problem with mine isn't simple jetting and timing stuff. It's either leaking unmetered fuel or something is amiss in the circuitry of the metering block. Dennis says that a ton of progress and thinking has been made since the early days of blow-though (when they set it up).

My cousin, Sean, works for LG Motorsports in Dallas. I let him have the car for a while, to tinker on during his spare time. I wasn't there for the tests. Even though I paid for the dyno runs, the owner, Lou, was mad that my car was taking up space and it took 4 employees to dyno it (2 in the trunk, Sean, and the camera man). So I don't want to take the car up there anymore, for fear of getting Sean in trouble.

I know that CSU and CarbShop both offer tuning help. I just need to find a closer dyno for tuning.

whytry
04-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Speedster - any results on the testing?

Also does anybody know if a stock 68 Camaro gas tank has a vent line in it?

Y-TRY
04-12-2006, 12:02 AM
No vent in the tank, but there are vented caps you can get. I plumbed-in a sump and used the stock pick-up tube for venting.

I can't wait until you get that thing going! F1R is a big ol' puppy and your car will FLY!

whytry
04-12-2006, 07:26 AM
So did you run another bulkhead in the tank somewhere for your return line? I thought you ran your sump to a Y block for inlet, right?

What did you do for your return line then?

I can't wait too, I got the bonnet and carb yesterday, hoping to get the fuel system done this weekend so when the F1R gets here its the last part....

Y-TRY
04-13-2006, 01:58 PM
I drilled another hole in the stock pick-up plate and inserted a larger tube for the pick-up

speedster
04-17-2006, 06:02 PM
Speedster - any results on the testing?
Also does anybody know if a stock 68 Camaro gas tank has a vent line in it?

Sorry 'bout the delay. The 2-bar sensor on the Devil's Own alcohol injection wasn't acting quite right and the nozzle was just too big. We tried it at low boost (8-9psi) just to see how much power it would take out. About 40 hp the way it was set. Again, the nozzle was too big. It looks like we can run 12+ psi safely. Need to get more nozzles for testing. Didn't have any extras and had chewed up too much dyno time already. At 12psi, it is too much power to hook up anywhere but at the track. At that point I would use better gas.

Not really much helpful info, but we had already run too many dyno pulls.

speedster
04-17-2006, 06:17 PM
Here was a shot on the dyno.

whytry
04-18-2006, 07:48 AM
Nice picture!!! If you do more testing post it up, I am probably going to get the Devils Own setup for my car as well. I think my F1R should be arriving next week..... So I will be deciding pretty soon either way. Sounds like a great investment though (I have been planning on this already so this helps soldify my decision)

MarkM66
04-19-2006, 07:10 AM
Pepper, what engine combo are you runing? HP? Car it's in?

Y-TRY
05-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Pepper, what engine combo are you runing? HP? Car it's in?

He has that all on another thread in this Forum, look for his dyno # vid. Super powerful, fast car!