PDA

View Full Version : Help with a power steering set-up...

aonghus
03-28-2006, 09:44 AM
'68 Camaro, 355,

Now that I have all my power steering equipment, I'm not 100% sure how it should all fit togeather... anyone care to draw up a napkin diagram of what how the system should be plumbed?

I've got a hydraboost, DSE resevoir, AFCO Inline Cooler, AGR 12:1 Box, Lee's Saginaw pump w/out resvoir...

AN sizes would help too, assume I'm a dummy. Also what type of fittings? Aeroquip TFE good enough?

Thanks fellas any help is appreciated.

rlovell383
03-28-2006, 02:23 PM
High pressure line from pump to hydroboost, then from hydroboost to steering box. Low pressure return line from steering box to cooler, then from cooler to resivoir, then finally back to return nipple on the pump. Aeroquip TFE (teflon lined)will be what you want to use on all high pressure lines, matched with the steel TFE AN fittings. You may use standard braided rubber AN hose and aluminum AN fittings(swivel seal) on the low pressure lines(DONT use it on the high pressure though!!!!).
Use -6 AN for everything and you will be good to go.

Randy

aonghus
03-28-2006, 11:41 PM
I remember reading somewhere that a -10AN return line is used from the resevoir to the steering gear, my DSE resevoir has a -10AN fitting welded to the bottom...

Am I supposed to be using -6AN to a -10 adapter somehow?

rlovell383
03-29-2006, 04:08 PM
You may be able to get a 5/8 16(the return line size on the steering gear) to -10 adapter and run a -10 line if thats what you want to do. If not you can install a -10 to -6 adapter on the resevoir. IMO -10 is kinda unnessisarily big for the application, but DSE knows their stuff.

Randy