PDA

View Full Version : Axle Bearing Leak

Clsccmro
03-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Hey guys,

I guess I didn't install my axles correctly in the new 9" I installed in my 69 camaro, because they are both leaking. They are Moser 31 spline axles, and they came with the bearings already pressed on. I thought that I was just supposed to place the bearings into the housing ends without any grease or silicone, but I guess I must be wrong. I tightened the housing end bolts to 60 lbs. each, maybe that's not enough? Please let me know anything you can on the subject, since this was my first rearend install, I'm still an amateur at this. Thanks in advance.

Clsccmro
03-28-2006, 05:53 AM
Anyone?

Josh
03-28-2006, 06:08 AM
If your bearing do not have an O ring around the perimeter of the bearing then use a slight bit of silicone.

Clsccmro
03-28-2006, 07:34 AM
Do you mean, put silicone around where the bearing meets the housing ends?

And any special type of silicone, or it doesn't matter?

Patrick
03-28-2006, 05:22 PM
I believe there should also be an inner seal...located just inside the tube.

jknight16
09-17-2007, 03:12 PM
I'm bringing back this old thread because I'm having the exact same issue with my 9" rear. There was no gasket/o-ring/seal on the axle bearings as i received them and now I have a leak on both axles.

Can anyone add some detail regarding these inner seals that may or may not need to be present? Should I try the silicon/RTV suggestion above? Anyone have better ideas?

Thanks guys!

big gear head
09-17-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm assuming that these are Moser rear ends. Moser doesn't put the seals in the housing ends, which is pretty dumb if you ask me. I can't count the number of people who have had the same problem. If these are Moser rear ends, or have similar housing ends as the Moser then you need to install the seals in the housing ends. Use CR 15141 or equivalent seals. Smear a thin coat of RTV sealant around the inside of the housing end where the seal will go and then drive the seal in. Use a little oil or grease on the rubber lip of the seal and put the axles back in without the o ring on the bearing.

Notice, this is for the sealed ball bearing ONLY. If you have the tapered roller bearings then DO NOT use these seals. The tapered roller bearings have a seal on the outside. These bearings need oil from the rear end and the inner seal will block the oil from getting to them.

jknight16
09-18-2007, 06:34 AM
Mine is actually a ford big bearing 9" out of a versailles. I recently had new bearings put on after removing the factory disc brake bracket and the new bearings the machine shop installed appear to be that sealed typed you speak of. I'm searching for those seals right now, no luck as of yet, but I'll keep looking. I'll try to post a picture of the bearing just to make sure we're on the same page.

Thank you for your help,

JK

big gear head
09-18-2007, 06:09 PM
The sealed bearing will be one piece. The tapered roller bearing is 2 pieces, with a bearing and race, like the bearings in the differential. The seal should be available at any auto parts store. It is a common Ford truck axle seal and it will work in your Lincoln houosing. I have a '64 Gallaxy housing in my car. It's been narrowed to about 40 inches, but has the Lincoln housing ends. I have the Lincoln disc brakes on it, but I went with the sealed ball bearings (originally had the tapered bearings) and the inner axle seals.
http://www.camaros.net/showroom/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1922

jknight16
09-19-2007, 06:34 AM
Ok, well that definitely sounds like the situation. I have the old bearings that were taken off and they are a two piece tapered so I guess this makes sense!

Thanks for your help BGH, you've been a great help as always!

BulldawgMusclecars
11-13-2007, 10:14 PM
I have installed several Moser 9" rears, and on the first one I had the same issue...leaking gear lube, even though the bearings had a rubber "seal" built in. I went to the local NAPA and asked for rear seals for a late 60s Ford passenger car (Mustang if I remember correctly), and they worked fine. Problem solved. I have used these seals ever since, and have had no further issues.

trdtac
12-10-2007, 12:03 AM
I have a 12-bolt Moser diff. It has recently started to leak. It has the large housing ends with big ford bearing (moser part# 9508B). Will these seals CR 15141 still work? Thanks.

zz3elcamino
12-10-2007, 06:07 AM
Guys, I just recently installed a Moser 9" in my car with the large 3.150" Ford bearings. I installed the seals which were not installed by Moser and once I installed these i cleaned the housing real good and put a smear coat of RTV around the area where the seal makes contact with the housing. I have had ZERO issues with leaking. If my dad wouldn't have told me to do this, then it probably would have been a different story! Hope this info helps fellas

http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewgallery.php?action=viewimg&id=69074

trdtac
12-10-2007, 11:36 AM
I have those size bearings also. I will give it a try. Thanks for your help!

trdtac
12-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Just an update... I have installed axle seals in my 12 bolt Moser, with part#7900 housing ends and the 3.150" Ford bearing. It appears no leaks so far. BTW, I ended up calling Moser and they recommended National Seal #473229. Hope this helps out anyone.