PDA

View Full Version : Hot Rod mag "Old school LS"

Damn True
03-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Anyone see this article?

If not I'll summarize. They stabbed a Comp 275 cam into an LS, topped it with a Edelbrock carb manifold, and ran the spark with an Edelebrock and MSD ignition controller.

I'd like to find out what those of you experienced with the LS motors think about this setup.

Seems like a pretty good deal to me. You get:

The light weight of an LS
The setback
Extremely precicse spark control
Simplicity of a carb
Far less expensive installMy only concern is that you might lose some of the driveability, and the ease of startup associated with EFI. From your experience are those features provided by the fuel management, or the precicse spark control?

WS6
03-27-2006, 05:50 PM
the carb setups on the LS work great as far as power goes. the drivability will depend on the cam selected. if im not mistaken the 275 cam has a duration in the 224-228 range, right? thats fairly tame in the LS world. but yeah all in all great idea and very good idea for many who might shy away from the whole EFI thing

EFI69Cam
03-28-2006, 01:58 PM
EFI lets you run more cam.

Damn True
03-28-2006, 02:49 PM
EFI lets you run more cam.

Is that because of better fuel management, or better spark control?

WS6
03-28-2006, 05:14 PM
more adjustable to better compensate for the overlap or you can call it better if you wish. for a street car trying to idle in traffic, yes you can run more cam with EFI. overall power though doesnt matter. actually the last edition of Street Thunder had some carb manifolds from TPiS and compared them to the various EFI intakes. the carbs won peak numbers wise. no graphs were posted to see how it did down low and through the midrange.

Steve1968LS2
03-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Anyone see this article?

If not I'll summarize. They stabbed a Comp 275 cam into an LS, topped it with a Edelbrock carb manifold, and ran the spark with an Edelebrock and MSD ignition controller.

I'd like to find out what those of you experienced with the LS motors think about this setup.

Seems like a pretty good deal to me. You get:

The light weight of an LS
The setback
Extremely precicse spark control
Simplicity of a carb
Far less expensive installMy only concern is that you might lose some of the driveability, and the ease of startup associated with EFI. From your experience are those features provided by the fuel management, or the precicse spark control?

1. The light weight of an LS
This setup would be heavier than an EFI LSx motor

2. The setback
Not sure what you mean..

3. Extremely precicse spark control
I can't see how it's more precise than the factory computer and the programming you can do with it.

4. Simplicity of a carb
As opposed to the simplicity of EFI.. if carbs are so economical, simple, precise and such then why don't new cars run them ;)

5.Far less expensive install
How so? All them parts to convert it to a carb deal cost $$$.. I would think a reprogrammed factory ECU is cheaper than an intake, manifold, electronics, disty system and such..

However, some guys are making big power on the carb deal.. and it's cool as heck to do.. I'm used to EFI so I will stick with that when I can :)

Damn True
03-28-2006, 06:25 PM
1. The light weight of an LS
This setup would be heavier than an EFI LSx motor
But far lighter than a GenI smallblock.
2. The setback
Not sure what you mean..
Is it not possible to get an LS motor further back in the chassis than a GenI
3. Extremely precicse spark control
I can't see how it's more precise than the factory computer and the programming you can do with it.
I meant as precise as a factory computer, and far more so than a GenI
4. Simplicity of a carb
As opposed to the simplicity of EFI.. if carbs are so economical, simple, precise and such then why don't new cars run them ;)
No requirement for dyno tuning, far less complex fuel system, no crazy wire harness to modify.
5.Far less expensive install
How so? All them parts to convert it to a carb deal cost $$$.. I would think a reprogrammed factory ECU is cheaper than an intake, manifold, electronics, disty system and such..
But it seems that a system like this would cost less than getting an EFI'd LS up and running.
However, some guys are making big power on the carb deal.. and it's cool as heck to do.. I'm used to EFI so I will stick with that when I can :)

My point was not to say this is better than an EFI'd LS motor though it could prove to be less expensive. Moreso that it was better than a GenI setup without some of the headaches associated with a full LS swap. I was simply asking if this looked like a viable alternative to a full LS swap while retaining some of the benefit of a less complex system.

I don't have the same experience or "rescources" that you do.

Steve1968LS2
03-28-2006, 06:55 PM
My point was not to say this is better than an EFI'd LS motor though it could prove to be less expensive. Moreso that it was better than a GenI setup without some of the headaches associated with a full LS swap. I was simply asking if this looked like a viable alternative to a full LS swap while retaining some of the benefit of a less complex system.

I don't have the same experience or "rescources" that you do.

Hey now.. don't get upset.. was just discussing :)

I would agree that it is leaps and bounds better than a genI setup but it does have it's downsides as well. I think that for the right application this is a killer deal. For drag racing for instance. For street and pt stuff Im not sold yet. To me it's like ripping the rear IRS out of a vette and putting in a solid axle.. sure it might help in one area but it's a step backwards in more than a few other ones.

When I said it was more expensive I meant in relation to just doing a regular LSx EFI deal.. I haven't priced it all out, but I know that stuff isn't cheap.

Now come on and give me a hug.. lol

btw.. call me tomorrow about the SC deal.. I have big earthshattering news..

Damn True
03-28-2006, 07:03 PM
I'm not at all upset, just clarifying the points on which I was unclear.

Steve1968LS2
03-28-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm not at all upset, just clarifying the points on which I was unclear.

I thought the bold was shouting.. And you were most likely clear.. my reading is just a bit foggy at times. :)

Damn True
03-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Nah dude, ALL CAPS IS SHOUTING. :rolleyes:

Besides, if I ever have a problem with someone I tell them off of a public board.

We're:cool:

TitoJones
03-29-2006, 11:52 AM
I'm doing one right now.
We bought an LS6 from a 02 Z06, and are converting it to the Victor Jr. Carb manifold. the nice part is, we got the engine with all the factory EFI, manifold, throttle body, wiring and computer, so we can sell it all to help offset the carb/manifold costs.
The engine should be able to be installed and running in under a weekend with a carb setup. We'll post pics as we get closer.

Tyler

harshman
03-29-2006, 12:05 PM
the sweet thing also is that you can easily switch from carb to efi at a later time.

Damn True
03-29-2006, 02:33 PM
I'm doing one right now.
We bought an LS6 from a 02 Z06, and are converting it to the Victor Jr. Carb manifold. the nice part is, we got the engine with all the factory EFI, manifold, throttle body, wiring and computer, so we can sell it all to help offset the carb/manifold costs.
The engine should be able to be installed and running in under a weekend with a carb setup. We'll post pics as we get closer.

Tyler

How much did the manifold and ignition box run?

If'n you don't mind me askin....why the victor rather than the dual-plane manifold?

Reckless
03-30-2006, 04:35 AM
You mean like this one we sell? :-)

http://www.w2wpowertrain.com/pc-78-80-old-school-402-ls2-crate.aspx

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Damn True
03-30-2006, 09:37 AM
Yeah kinda....but last time I checked you guys were REALLY proud of your work. Not that it isn't worth it, but I think you guys are outta my price range. PM me with some figures if I'm wrong.

harshman
03-30-2006, 09:48 AM
same here. GP anyone?

Reckless
03-30-2006, 02:13 PM
Yes we are proud. There are plenty of cheaper alternatives if cheap is what you are seeking.

Every crate engine we sell spends time on one of our three engine dynos and is verified for operation and horsepower. They are constructed of the highest quality components available which have all passed our extensive testing for durability. How many other engine builders have an engine dyno or spend countless hours pounding a crate engine at shop expense to see if it will break? This is not how your engine will be treated, but how we treat our test engines.

We perform testing on our engine assemblies at wide open for periods up to 20 minutes. The exhaust glows red 15 feet behind the engine during these tests. With the testing we perform, and with our experience, you will get what you pay for. All of this testing costs money, but we feel it provides the best engine your money can buy. Remember, it is not a good deal if you have to replace it in six months.

Yes we are proud. And also very willing to stand behind our products.

Damn True
03-30-2006, 02:16 PM
...and you should be. I'm not slamming you at all. That motor looks fantastic. I am simply being honest about my budget and that motor is outside of my budget. No need for the condescending tone.

I'm curious to know what something in a standard displacement might run. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather discuss off-the-boards.

Reckless
03-30-2006, 02:25 PM
I understand. Believe me I have been in your shoes and still am. I just share this information because many times folks don't understand what it takes to make something right, be able to stand behind it, and stay in business for a long time. I did not take your statement as derogatory.

The engine as you see it above lists for $10,999 ready to go and is intended as more of a "turn-key" setup for the folks that are less into doing the extra work.. I am sure we could provide a much less costly version for you. Please call and ask for Kevin and he can provide pricing information.