PDA

View Full Version : Open Track Day at Grattan May 11th

BB69
03-27-2006, 04:59 AM
UPDATE: We have only 10 days left, and there are still some spots open. Maybe you just finished some work on the car, or maybe the pressure to get out to the track has finally gotten to be too much. Whatever it is, come on out to the track. If you have any questions, let me know.

After weeks of unanswered calls and emails to Gingerman, we went ahead and booked a day at Grattan. Grattan appears to be a more challenging layout with elevation changes and some blind corners. This event is open to anyone, we had a pretty wide variation of cars last year. I would love to see some PT guys there. Below is a website where you can register and see more detail. I have also copied the basics below:

We have reserved Grattan Raceway Thursday May 11th. We were going to try to reserve Gingerman again this year but they are under new ownership. The new owners have raised the prices significantly and are being much more strict on the rules. Therefore we decided to go with Grattan Raceway. The owners have been much easier to work with. The track has plenty of run off room just like Gingerman but the track itself appears to be a bit more challenging. It is very popular with the motorcycle crowd because of the run off room. Also, Grattan's longest straightaway is about a 1/2mile versus Gingerman's is only 1/4mile.
Passenger's will be allowed as long as they have a helmet.
Grattan is located about 30 minutes from Gingerman. It's slightly closer to Detroit and slighty further from Chicago.
Here is a schedule of the day:
8:00am Gate's Open
8:30am-8:45am Driver's Meeting (Discuss safety and rules)
9:00am- 5:00pm Track is open
Every 15 minutes a new group of cars will go onto the track. There will be 4 groups total with 10 cars in each group.
The cost will be $125 per person.
We are in the process of setting up a website for everyone to register. If you think you would like to attend let me know right away and I'll copy you on the link to the website so you can register.
Here is a list of some general rules and tips:
-Any car with seat belts is allowed, no trucks, SUV's, or motorcycles (convertibles must have rollbars).
-Snell 95 or newer helmet. (None will be available to rent)
-Have fresh oil in your car. Bring extra oil, coolant, and brake fluid.
-Have enough money for 2-3 tanks of gas. A gas station is about 2 miles from the track.
-Either bring food to eat or bring money to buy food. There is food available for purchase at the track along with several restaurants close by.
-The track will be open rain or shine. No refunds will be given if it rains.
-No passing will be allowed in the turns, and the driver in front of you must signal that you may pass. This is for everyone's safety.

For more track information visit:
www.grattanraceway.com (http://www.grattanraceway.com)

http://events.kzoorice.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Ken

CAMAROBOY69
03-27-2006, 05:26 AM
Its a shame that I didnt know about this sooner. Grattan is an incredible track with some fun banks and lots of elevation changes. The straight away is extremely fast so make sure your brakes are up to par! I went there about 5-6 years ago with my 96 Formula and had a blast. If I had known about this sooner I would have went with you guys to Grattan instead of Gingerman.
Dave said you guys will be going to Grattan again this year so I will try to make it to the next one for sure. Have a great time and take tons of videos and pics.

BB69
03-27-2006, 06:22 AM
Sorry Adam, but we spent so much time trying to contact the people at Gingerman this event is being announced a little late. From the early response, it looks like we will have a good group. This will most likely be the best "sick" day you've had in a while for those of you who come.

Ken

Paluce
03-31-2006, 08:56 AM
Hey Ken, you know I'm going... 5 weeks and counting... I just visited a porsche race shop and took a quick drive in one of them.. Damn they were fast!!!

BB69
04-04-2006, 07:10 AM
As you can see, there is very little to no interest from this board for this event. Does this have something to do with the date, or the setup, or is it something else? I don't want to be a whiner, but I am trying to figure out why this event has received so little interest over here. Help me out with some feedback please. This seems to be the least expensive track day you will find, and based on last year, you will have plenty of track time. If you have some suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks
Ken

CAMAROBOY69
04-04-2006, 07:13 AM
As you can see, there is very little to no interest from this board for this event. Does this have something to do with the date, or the setup, or is it something else? I don't want to be a whiner, but I am trying to figure out why this event has received so little interest over here. Help me out with some feedback please. This seems to be the least expensive track day you will find, and based on last year, you will have plenty of track time. If you have some suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks
Ken
Its quite simple Ken. They are all posers. :doh: :enguard: :poke: :rotfl:
You and I will just have to keep posting videos every year of what its like to actually drive our cars on a track.

BB69
04-04-2006, 09:08 AM
Its quite simple Ken. They are all posers. :doh: :enguard: :poke: :rotfl:
You and I will just have to keep posting videos every year of what its like to actually drive our cars on a track.

I got a good laugh out of that Adam. I wasn't going to go that far. I was thinking it might have something to do with the fact I haven't met as many people here. Once a few people started talking about it at the Corvetteforum, participation started to take off. I really do think these are the types of events "Pro-Touring" or "G-machines" are all about.

If someone has suggestions to increase the participation, please let me know. Otherwise, Adam is going to keep calling you posers.:wedgie:

By the way Adam, I have been making slow but deliberate progress on the Camaro for the Good Friday event. I hope to have the engine fired this week, and then some buddies are coming over Sunday to make sure all the front end sheetmetal is back on. After that, I have a week to shake the car down.

Ken

CAMAROBOY69
04-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Yeah I am just busting their balls. Would be nice to see more members from this site out there but oh well they can just admire the fun we have flogging our cars.
As for progress on my car. Well I have been having horrific luck with this power steering conversion. I finally got some brackets that fit on there but the pump is at a major angle. I will try to start the car and test the hydraboost and all the power steering stuff tonight. If no fluid comes out of the top of the pump then I will just run it this way until I get different brackets. It would have been fun with you and I in the same race class. But you are going to Grattan which is way more fun anyway. Glad to hear your cars is coming along. Hopefuly I will have a positive update tonight after work.

BB69
04-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Adam,
Power steering is one of the things I'm working on now. I can't believe how hard pulleys are to find, and how expensive they are when you find them. I found a pump, with pulley and hoses, on ebay, but after I bought a remaned pump. I only bid up to $20. I didn't think it would be a big deal. Of course, now I have spent $22 on the correct pressure hose, and another $35 on a pulley.:hand:

By the way, we are in the same group at Gingerman. When I registered, I thought I would be bringing the Vette. The 69 Vette listed is me. I am really hoping the Camaro will be ready. I'm making a battery mount, and then I can wire the main power distribution. After I put the headers on, the engine should be ready to fire.

For all I know, I will be under the car the whole time again, but I will still find a way to have a good time.

Ken

CAMAROBOY69
04-04-2006, 10:37 AM
OH wow you are going to attend both events. YOU are the man! Gingerman and Grattan all within 2 months. I evny you. I wish I could attend both events but I just cant. I am barely going to make this one. I will catch the next grattan event though. I love that track.
My offer still stands too. You can drive my car if yours pukes. :) Hell if nothing else you can tag along as a passenger with me.
That would be kiler to have 2 69 Camaros there. :) What a killer video that would be.

BB69
04-04-2006, 11:42 AM
I hope I don't have to take you up on it. I am heading home tonight to get some more work done. Don't be surprised is some of the front end parts are missing though.

Both events is going to be a little crazy. I can't say the chief financial officer, er I mean the wife, was happy about it, but this is why I have the cars. Don't forget about the Ohio cruise I emailed you about either. I am probably moving that to June to spread out the events, but that event is a blast. To be honest, it's probably better than the track. I will keep you up to date on that one.

Are you bringing your video camera setup to Gingerman?

Ken

CAMAROBOY69
04-05-2006, 03:16 AM
Ken,
Yes I will be taking the camcorder to Gingerman. I actually think there will be 3 camcorders total if everyone shows.

BB69
04-17-2006, 09:13 AM
We are now just over 3 weeks away, and we have 10 spots still open. You will have a hard time finding a cheaper track day. I know it's a weekday, but call in sick or do what you have to to get out here. You will have a good time. If you don't me, ask Adam.

Ken

CAMAROBOY69
04-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Heather and I will be at this event to watch but not to run our cars. This is definely the cheapest track day around and this is the best track in Michigan. If I had known sooner about this I would have went here instead of Gingerman. Both are fun tracks but Grattan is the ultimate!!!
Ken, all I ask from you is a mandatory ride in your 69 Camaro. :naughty: So hopefully you have it going!!

CAMAROBOY69
04-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Ken how is the Camaro coming along? Am I still going to be able to go for a ride with you? It will be interresting to see how it is as a passenger for once. :help: Mabey I can ride in a couple other cars too. Cant wait to see Dave and the entire gang again.

BB69
04-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Adam,
There isn't much happening this week because I am in Europe for work. It seems every time I have a car event to get ready for, I have to travel for work. At least the beer is good here.

When I left on Sunday, I had started to try and sort out the brakes. The power booster was broken (not happy as it's brand new) so I ordered another one. It should be in before I get home. I have to figure out how to get the system bled after that. I believe I'm having some issues with the distribution block. I do have another one though, so I should be OK. After that, it's time to button up the power steering. I got a fitting from a local shop I just discovered, so it should just be a matter of putting on the pressure hose, the belt, and putting fluid in the system.

I also have to do some tuning on the engine. It's up and running, with a full exhaust. However, it needs some carb tuning and the valves adjusted again. It may also need some new ignition wires. Finally, the sheetmetal has to go on. I started putting on the inner fenders. I bought a front end hardware kit from NPD, but they aren't labeled as well as I would like.

As you can see, I will be busy when I get home Sunday until next week. I'll make sure I put the passenger seat back in though.

Ken

CAMAROBOY69
04-27-2006, 03:54 AM
Glad to hear your making a little progress on the Camaro. You really should have bought a Hydratech hydraboost when your booster went bad. It was the best brake upgrade I ever did on my Camaro so far. Paul would have hooked you up like he did with me. The hydraboost can be installed within 2 hours if you already have power steering.
Enjoy the beer!

Scooter70
04-30-2006, 08:41 AM
Ken,
Are you going to bring the Corvette or the Camaro? I got an old ASedan race tape from a coworker so we're going to watch it at Ken Smith's house on Thursday. He's got a home theater with a giant screen so everybody will get a good look at the track before we go. Think you're going to make it?

For anyone else local, you're more than welcome to come over too.

I'll be at Grattan in the dark gray '05 GTO. The Corvette has been temporarilly retired from track days for a while.

BB69
05-01-2006, 02:17 AM
Matt,
I should have the Camaro at the track. I tried to get it done for Gingerman, and did not, so this is the second shot. There will be more track days later in the year for the Vette. Whether or not I show up for the video screening will depend on how the car is coming along. I plan to put a little schedule together today so I know when I need to have certain things done.

Ken

CAMAROBOY69
05-09-2006, 03:40 AM
Ken,
How is the Camaro coming along? I still have to take the day off. Looks like a chance of rain for thursday.

BB69
05-09-2006, 03:50 AM
Adam,
It's coming along very well. Last night, I put my Quadrajet carb from the Vette on the Camaro. That solved a lot of the mixture problems I was having. I also fixed the charging system, as I was only getting 12.5V. That provided the top end spark I was missing.

The steering and brakes are all set and feel great. The passenger seat is in, but the carpet isn't. You will just have to deal with a bare floor, but I think you'll be OK.

Tonight, I am going to adjust the valves one last time; change the plugs and wires; change the oil and filter; clean up a few electrical things; clean out the remaining junk in the car, and it should be ready. I am going to try and pick up my buddy's camcorder tomorrow during the day so I can get some video. Bring your camera as well though if you don't mind.

The Camaro will be there, and if it rains, oh well.

Ken

CAMAROBOY69
05-09-2006, 03:54 AM
Thats great news Ken! No I dont mind a bare floor at all. Heck I wouldnt care if I had to just sit on the floor. I just want to go for a ride! :3gears:
Were you going to make it to the June 30th event with one of the cars? We are bringing the Mustang for sure. I even made a thread about the event. It is on Heathers b-day. https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18092

BB69
05-09-2006, 04:45 AM
Right now, I'm not sure about the June event. I have been ignoring so many things around the house just to get ready for this event. However, my wife, and even her friends, has been bugging me to get the Vette running now. If I do go, I won't be able to commit for a while. I am also trying to get my Ohio cruise together. As you can see, it's a busy time.

Ken

CAMAROBOY69
05-10-2006, 12:01 PM
Wheeew heww! Tomorrow is the big day. I cant wait to ride in Kens 69 Camaro! It will be my first time as a passenger. :drive1: