PDA

View Full Version : 9" rear end

g-roadster
03-26-2006, 02:14 PM
I am laying out a rear suspension using a 9" rear end. I have searched google trying to find the location of the U joint relative to the axle center line with no luck. Could anyone supply the "A" and "B" dimensions. The "A" dimension should be constant for all 9" rears. The "B" dim will depend on U joint but should not vary more than a fraction of an inch. Tell me what U joint you are using for your dimension "B". If you have a URL for this I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Steve

jwcarguy
03-26-2006, 03:35 PM
Steve, Please don't quote me on this, but I believe the offset of centerline is 2". I had a Pro-Street car years ago with a 9inch in it. You may try Mark Williams , Strange or Chassisworks, etc. they may list it on a website or call their tech line. There are alot of u joint options also ie. GM to Ford, unless you're having a driveshaft made, which is what I did and had a Ford rear yoke install to mate to the 9 inch. Jeff

Matt@RFR
03-26-2006, 04:54 PM
Dimension A is 15/16" to the driver side.

g-roadster
03-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Thanks Jeff and Matt for your reply. I wasn't clear in what I was after either in my verbage or drawing. I want the side view dimensions. Dim "A" how far the U joint center is below axle shaft center line and dim "B" how far forward is the U joint center is from the axle center. I want to determine frame clearance for the drive shaft as the rear end goes through its' range of motion. See the revised drawing.

Thanks, Steve