PDA

View Full Version : Mark VIII, DC Controller install on my 1972 Bird - Finished w/ pictures

BEEBE
03-26-2006, 08:34 AM
I just wrapped up a DC Controller / Mark VIII install on my 72 Bird.

I love the unit already...........Now i can actually hear whats going on in my engine , Instead of the loud WHHHOOOOSSSHHHH i was getting from the flex a lite fan. With the fan operating @ slower speeds you cant even hear it.

I like the look of the low prolile fan / shroud , Now that the stock HUGE shroud is gone ... :)

I have not drove the car , but the unit works flawlessly idling in the garage for a 1/2 hour as i messed with a few things. :cool:

I have only 2 MINOR complaints of the DC Controller kit. I wish they gave you 2-3 feet extra on the Power and ground wires. I had to purchase extra wire to re-route the wire where i wanted them. Granted , I did not try to call and get more wire, so ....No big deal .

And , One minor detail, I ordered the suppressor to intall the unit when batteries are in the trunk, the instructions specified on the power connection install but not on the ground connection. Once again ...No big Deal !

Great product, great service !!

I cut off the oem mounting tabs on the ele fan , Fabbed up some cheap brackets for the top and bottom.

This install was part of a small project to install my 72 formula hood- including a quick spray of engine paint, Tomahawk intake install, and minor engine bay detail / clean up.

Its coming along nicely, i have a few more things to wrap up before im ready to bolt on / align the hood . And try to figure out how big of a airfilter i can fit.

Beebe

Before Pictures

BEEBE
03-26-2006, 08:36 AM
New Tomahawk intake, Mark VIII Fan, DC Controller,

After Pictures

navyflyer72
03-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Anyone know where I can get the connector for the MK VIII fan? I have been using the supplied blade style connectors, but I would like to clean up the engine a bit more and get the correct connector.

Jabin, you might know?

Thanks,
George

zbugger
03-26-2006, 10:02 PM
I got one through Jabin. I think you should be able to get them through any Ford dealership. I'll see if I can find the part number.

Dust87ss
03-29-2006, 08:28 AM
Very clean install BEEBE. Looks great

CAMAROBOY69
03-29-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks for sharing the pics. Very clean looking install. I like how everything is black and it basically hides the DC Controler with all the connections. I should have mine finished tonight too and mabey shoot some pics over the weekend. I just had to buy a voltmeter to make sure my junction block doesnt put out more than 12v.
Your engine looks real nice. THat intake made a huge difference. Makes me want to get a polished intake now.

rohrt
03-29-2006, 08:43 AM
Looks great!!!

BEEBE
03-29-2006, 09:40 AM
Everybody .....Thanks for the props !

I do enjoy sharing knowledge and info as much as possible.

Camaroboy69 - I used heat shrink on all the ends of the wires / connections to black them out for a more of a stealth look. Hoping to not catch your eye or bring extra attention to the controller.

Cant wait till spring !!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

CAMAROBOY69
03-29-2006, 09:44 AM
THe heat shrink idea is killer. I also dont care much for yellow and red connectors. They draw too much attention like you said. I will have to see what I can do about the heat shrink idea since mine is already all bolted up. If I remember correctly heat shrink usually comes in tubes and that would mean I would have to take the ends off of all the wires to get it on there. I will do it eventualy but not right now. I see you also removed the DC controller sticker too. Lots of sleak going on there.
I need all the help I can get cleaning up my engine compartment and this just might be the key. :naughty:
The only thign that would hide it even more would be black screws and washers.