PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank 78 T/A + LS1

LS1_78Bandit
03-24-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm looking into fuel tanks for my LS1 into a 78 t/a conversion. I've been doing a bit of searching through the forums and calling around and I seem to have 4 basic options.

1) New SS tank from Rick's Hotrods
2) New OEM-like stamped steel tank from Rock Valley
3) SS tank from Rock Valley
4) Modify existing tank, either in-tank or external corvette-style

My first inclination was to modify the existing tank. From what I gather the in-tank setup is better than the external corvette-style - though the latter seems to be pretty popular, so I wonder how much of a problem it really is ... If I were to do the in-tank, I have a fuel pump from a 4th gen and I was going to do it something like what this guy did:

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mec2d/ls1swap/firebird.htm (http://www.people.virginia.edu/%7Emec2d/ls1swap/firebird.htm)

Which is similar to the instructions on detail-zone.

But the more I read, the more I'm thinking the starvation issues might be a problem. Which points toward a new tank.

All things being equal, based on comments here and the fact that they're a sponsor, I'd probably go with Rick's. But, things aren't quite equal, at least in $$, so I'd like to figure out if it's worth it.

Rick's: $1300
RV Stamped Steel: $700
RV SS: $1000

(note that apparently the tanks for the 78 are more $$ than other models, even the earlier 2nd gens)

Both Rick's and RV's SS tanks have baffling which is a big bonus. With the RV stamped steel, he puts in a fuel trap around the pump that's supposed to help a lot with keeping fuel around the pump during acceleration/cornering/etc, but it's not as good as baffling.

My application is most likely near 100% street use. But I don't want to preclude the possibility of taking it to the track. With all the effort in suspenion, brakes and drivetrain I'm putting in, it should be a pretty solid racer.

So is the $700+ worth it over modifying my stock tank? Is the extra $300 worth it for the SS RV (between baffling and the fact it's SS). And finally is the additional $300 worth it to go to the Rick's?

I kinda hate asking the question because I like supporting site sponsors, but there's a whole lot I can do with $1300 ...

70bird
03-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Sounds like you have done your homework, I'm at exactly the point in my project and have come to the same conclusion. If i am going to go through all the work of modding my stock tank, I'll just sump it, and use a good in-line pump.Downside is ground clearance and loss of stealth factor. I don't think a fact pump will keep up with demands much higher than stock, and my plans go beyond that for sure. I think for me I will go the 1300.00 route with Rick's, but am considering sacrificing precious trunk space for a fuel cell. Would definitely free up some space under the rear for creative exhaust routing! hmmmmm..........

ks71z28
03-29-2006, 09:59 AM
OK, here is what I did... I was not going to use a lousy, noisey in-line pump. I used the stock tank, found that a late 80's TBI Caprice used the same flange on the tank as our 2nd gens. I used the pickup from that, because it has a return line, fuel gauge sender, and you can mount a pump to it. I actually shortened the unit and cut out a bottom of my tanl 12"x12" and built a sump the hangs down 2", and goes up into the tank 4". This makes up the extra depth of the fuel sender, and also makes baffles for the fuel. I have about $400 into the set up, which includes 255 lph pump and the fab work. It looks cool and fits like stock, cause it is!