PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Fan Not good enough

socalfandabodys
10-10-2004, 09:38 AM
I have a 68 chevelle with a 100 amp alternator. The first one I put on was a chrome generic 100 amp alternator. it burnt out after 200 miles and it looked like someone threw a grenade inside of it. I have a concept one pulley system along with the concept one alternator fan. So I got the new alternator a power master 100 amp natural finish. I felt the alternator after a few minutes and it was almost too hot to touch. Yet on my brothers camaro he has a 80 amp gm unit powder coated orange but hes running a stock fan and it stays way cooler. Do you think that the fan has insufficient cooling and should I pt a stock fan on the alternator or should I wait it out and see what happens.

nancejd
10-10-2004, 11:26 AM
I'm just wondering if it's a belt tension issue. Couldn't hurt to swap fans and see what happens though.

zbugger
10-10-2004, 11:44 AM
What's the output wire size? That may have an effect on heating too. The alternator may be working too hard to put out the power. You also may want to take a look at the rest of your wiring.

socalfandabodys
10-10-2004, 01:32 PM
I installed a completetly new wiring harness front to back and everything works good. I have to check the output size. I have no accesories running right now not even a radio. The only thing I can think of is I have a 2002 camaro ss dual fan set up and they blow really hard and that could be sucking alot of juice.

OHCbird
10-10-2004, 08:41 PM
That could be a start- but that isn't the whole story. You've probably got some bad connections, bad grounds, etc somewhere. Ditto on the output wire.

Have you taken any measurements? You should have 14.8 volts on the output side, and within a tenth-or-two at the battery. Have you checked the amperage of all conditions?