PDA

View Full Version : anyone else here with late a second gen TA?

WS6
10-10-2004, 07:57 AM
ive got a 79 WS6 TA that im looking to do some suspension stuff to. i was just hoping there would be others here as well. not looking for anything hardcore yet just something to make it look and handle better. ive got future plans with another second gen bird that will get a little more hardcore. this place looks fun. all the pics ive seen so far look great.

zbugger
10-10-2004, 11:15 AM
Hey there. Welcome to the site. I have a '77 Camaro that I'm working on. It's basically the same thing that you've got. Although your WS6 is more than what I started with. How far are you willing to go?

Ralph LoGrasso
10-10-2004, 12:11 PM
Hey Trey,

Welcome to the site! I'm planning on a second gen for my next project, in about a year, maybe two.

c.schulz
10-10-2004, 04:07 PM
Let me tell ya somethin mister!! Great sytems for the street are from Hotchkis.When your ready to move up to something serious give Global West a call.Ask for cat. 5 system parts.

http://www.hotchkis.net/cgi-bin/EDCstore.pl?user_action=link&link=mainpage

http://www.globalwest.net/

Chris

WS6
10-10-2004, 04:28 PM
well for this one. im going to keep it fairly simple. i just want better bushings, springs/shocks, sway bars, brakes, and to lower it a little. im keeping the factory WS6 rims and having them redone. to me there has never been a better looking factor rim than the 8in gold snowflake. so im keeping them. i have a friend with a front pair of force 10 calipers from SSBC. never been used. im thinking about grabbing those, using some hawk pads, if they are even availible, and just replacing the rear calipers with rebuilt ones and using hawk pads back there.

i say simple yet im thinking about getting some herb adams traglulation bars for the upper a arms. they go from the cowl to the upper a arm. you have to use them in conjuction with the solid front subframe bushings. im also thinking about fatman tubular a arms. ive delt with fatman before and i have never worked with a company that had better customer service and was willing to correct a problem. so unless someone has a very good reason why not to use their arms im going with them.

the engine needs some work and will get it. the tranny will be getting a small stall converter and ill be changing out the rear gear. the interior will get replaced with stock stuff and the pain and body work will be good.

the car will look like a lowered nicely kept 79, but ill have more obviously. i still say this is simple because i plan on getting another second gen and doing either a LS or LT swap with a T56 and just driving the thing. of course itll have upgraded suspension too, but the engine and tranny swap i consider to be a little beyond simple.

wow ive typed a lot. basically i joined the site to get technical info. like spring rates, product reviews, and some direction. yeah i could pick up a catalog and say give me all this, but i dont have that type of money and nor do i want to ruin my ride quality. enjoying the ride is what its all about. make it a harsh ride and it won't be fun.

immrtransam
10-11-2004, 09:30 PM
Welcome.... I have an 80 T/A that I'm trying to do the same thing to. I'm using 16" gold GTA wheels and I think they look great, a modern version of the WS6 wheels. This is what it looks like . I hope you all like it. Cost me $500.00 Canadian

Piet
10-12-2004, 12:03 PM
Not a T/A.... but a 2nd Gen...

WS6
10-12-2004, 04:15 PM
nice i like the copper color. thos rims are actually what i was thinking of getting my hands on for autocrossing. i have to keep the raised white letter tires for regular duty, they are just too classic.

immrtransam
10-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Yeah it's the original paint"Fiero Bronze" only a small spot of rust on driver side fender,other than that rust free.

David Sloan
10-13-2004, 03:15 AM
Welcome Trey!
Good to have some more people from Ga here !
I will be doing a 78 Trans Am for my brother in law sometime in the next few months.

redsand
10-13-2004, 03:56 AM
I have an 80 trans am convertible.

Hartz
10-14-2004, 06:12 PM
I love '79 TAs. My father has a red '79 with the gold wheels, orange chicken, and black interior. A real low option car with the 400/4 speed/WS6 combo. It's got 33K miles but we've got it down to the firewall redoing it. It's a very SLOW project, but it's coming along nicely.

Best of luck with your project. Keep us posted.

Hartz

Zee
10-16-2004, 09:09 AM
Welcome aboard,

I have not exactly what you would call a late model but I have a 71 Formula 400/4m which is in the process of going to a 455/TKO600.

I wanted to keep it simple and invest cash where it made the most sense. I have the 1LE brake upgrade, aluminum rear drums, Del-a-lum bushings, Konis all around with stock replacement rear springs and cut fronts (soon to be replaced by Hotchkiss) GW body bushings and GW SFC's. My bars are adjustible Rancho NOS (1.25 front, 1" rear) which I got for a song. Third gen Z28 steering box.

Suspension is pretty much set after I install the front springs and maybe some rear lowering blocks (yeah, I know...not the hot set up but I want to see if the new springs are going to settle in a bit with more driving) so I'm pretty much onto interior and drivetrain.

79T/Aman
10-24-2004, 04:27 PM
new guy here to this forum have a79 t/a,I've done g-t/a's since the 80's when everyone else was doing pro-street (H O Racing ,Rancho,Guldstrand,Herb Adams stuff).

a73formula
10-29-2004, 07:41 AM
Besides havig a 73 formula I also have an 81 t/a and a 74 firebird. i would suggest getting the globalwest bushings and going with the koni adjustibles for a cheaper upgrade that will make your car handle a lot better. Your sway bars should be more than enough with the ws6 stuff. I went with the coil overs and the global west tubulars for my 73( waiting to get them in the mail) but just putting new bushings in the rear and adding wide(17x11's rear, 17x8 1/2 front) made a huge difference. Good luck.

cjhutch
10-29-2004, 06:43 PM
WS6, I also own a Pontiac. What part of Georgia do you live in? I would love to hear more information on your 403. I know most guys usually shun the 403 because it's considered an Olds engine, but I like the unconventional. I would also like to say that you have come to the right place for knowledge. I've been in the learning process for over a year now and it's amazing how much I know now that I didn't know before.

WS6
11-07-2004, 01:40 PM
thanks Hutch, im up in athens and loganville. sorry i didnt get back to this sooner been busy and havent had time.

as far as my 403 is concerned all youll ever want to know can be found here www.realoldspower.com some very powerful 403s are on this board. i simply did a heads cam swap on mine. i should have also done a TC and gear change but i was poor at the time. now i just need to find the time to go through the car. its 25 years old and its never been gone through so its time. im hoping this winter i can start to tear it apart. im just not sure how much im going to do now or what. i love second gens so much. i just want to get mine rolling again and enjoy it, but at the same time i want to to be cleaned up and looking great. once i start that i my tear the whole thing apart and not get it back for years. so im torn. maybe i should just buy another one and drive it while i get this one rolling. thanks

yody
11-11-2004, 11:21 AM
i have a 71 forumula 400, here is my webpage;
http://geocities.com/codybouc/firebirdpage.html
look in my sig for details

Flynlo416
11-11-2004, 11:33 AM
i have a 71 forumula 400, here is my webpage;
http://geocities.com/codybouc/firebirdpage.html
look in my sig for details
What's a FORUMULA?? :slap: ......j/k

WS6
11-11-2004, 08:08 PM
Cody i love your car man. i also read your website and plans. changing your hood is a mistake i think. i wouldnt change it ,those early formula hoods were badass. love that color. thanks

yody
11-11-2004, 11:36 PM
we already had a 2 page topic on my hood, there is no alternative that is cost effective, i coudl pay a couple thousand for a one off custom hood or $700 for a 3" cowl, i haven't updated my site in awhile, maybe i will soon.

WS6
11-12-2004, 05:20 PM
haha sorry bout that. does the new engine not fit under the hood?