PDA

View Full Version : 4l80e speedo ?

quadfather
03-23-2006, 04:03 PM
what is the best way to hook up a speedo on a 4l80e. i will be using a tci , tcu. does it have a speedo output ? or do i just splice one of the trans wires? i'm planing on using a autometer electric speedo , since there is no mech. cable output on theese tranny's . atm does list a hall efffect sender to use with the speedo if you have a cable output. so i hope it will work with this trans without a sender. i hope someone can help.

EFI69Cam
03-23-2006, 07:30 PM
I used an abbot box to drive my stock speedo. The gm sensor is not a hall effect, and will not be compatable.
Abbot also makes a buffer box that might work.

Steve Chryssos
03-24-2006, 07:02 AM
what is the best way to hook up a speedo on a 4l80e. i will be using a tci , tcu. does it have a speedo output ? or do i just splice one of the trans wires? i'm planing on using a autometer electric speedo , since there is no mech. cable output on theese tranny's .

Yup, an Auto Meter electric speedo will work. Splice into the VSS exiting the rear of the trans. But there's a catch: The T-Com will get confused by an uncalibrated speedo, it may not want to shift into 2nd gear and beyond. Catch 22. Can't calibrate the trans until the speedo is right and vice versa. So when you wire the speedo include some sort of male/female quick disconnect terminals.

-Calibrate the trans with the speedo disconnected from the vss.
- With the trans right or close, connect the speedo to the vss and do a rough speedo calibration on jackstands. Get the counter up to about 2000-3000 pulses (you'll see the counter on the gauge)
-At this point, with the speedo rough calibrated) the transmission will shift with the speedo connected.
-Then go out on the road and do a formal calibration of the speedo.

Yeah, I know. It's a hokey thing, but no big deal. And it doesn't happen with every type of gauge. But it's better you know now rather than wonder why your trans will not shift.

quadfather
03-24-2006, 05:10 PM
thanks i figured you would have the answer. i'm saving for those paddles next.

Steve Chryssos
03-25-2006, 07:23 AM
Thank you. Free unlimited lifetime calibration tech included with purchase and there's a 5% Pro-Touring.com Club discount.
:firefire:

quadfather
03-25-2006, 02:23 PM
Thank you. Free unlimited lifetime calibration tech included with purchase and there's a 5% Pro-Touring.com Club discount.
:firefire:
thanks i'll keep that in mind. and while i got you . i would like to know how the paddle shifter works does one side upshift and the other downshift. or is it a push pull deal?

Steve Chryssos
03-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Right paddle upshift, left paddle downshift. Both actuate by squeezing towards the steering wheel. The squeezing action maintains grip on the steering wheel. Pushing has the opposite effect--less grip; so do thumb actuated buttons on the face of the wheel.