PDA

View Full Version : Clear coat - What to do?

62wagon
03-23-2006, 12:17 PM
It seems in my desire to put the '58 Impala together, I have let the whole scuff & buff process go to long since paint. I used OMNI clear and it has been about 6 months since shooting it. The clear is now as hard as Japanese arithmetic. A friend of mine and I have tried to buff after 2000 grit sanding and can not seem to get the sand scratches out. We even went as far as using 3M super duty compound. Still no luck. I have come to the conclusion that my only shot at getting the look I desire is sanding with 800 and reclearing the entire car. What do you guys think? Is this my best bet or do you know of another process I might try? I know I have created a bunch of extra work for myself. That's what happens when you get in a hurry to make progress. Thanks for reading guys and any advice would be appreciated.

Mark

CDJr
03-23-2006, 04:16 PM
You might try 2500 or even 3000 grit? Just an idea. Im sure someone else will chime in. :)

vanzuuk1
03-23-2006, 05:01 PM
Not to threadjack but I have a similar question. On a twenty year old paint job can you still wetsand to get out fine scratches from washing?

Details?

Happyfunballs
03-24-2006, 05:36 AM
Sand with 2500 then 3K. Buff then polish. If the marks are still there then 600(provided there is enough clear) and reclear. Don't bust through to the base or you'll have bigger problems then when you started.

Van, depends. Does it have a clear? Single stage? There is a possibility it could be lacquer. Start with a higher grit paper like 2K, sand, buff, polish. If that doesn't get them out go to 1500, wash, rinse, repeat. In either case, make sure there is enough material on the car.

vanzuuk1
06-04-2006, 07:36 AM
Its dupont basecoat/clear, I will try it when I get my courage up.Thanks.

BRIAN
06-04-2006, 05:15 PM
I have wet sanded cars after sitting longer than 5 months. Actually my last car sat about a year. Start with 1500 then 2000 and then polish as you normally would. If you are using 800 I would be really carefull. Omni is no harder than most clears. How much clear you put on will determine if it can handle being sanded to an ultra flat surface. You probably can cause more problems with re shooting the clear.

paul67
06-05-2006, 11:14 AM
Mines been painted 4 yrs and still to be sanded , have done tests and it still sands , theres a new product over here in the uk that can speed it up they are pads that go on the polishing machines that do it dry and the pro shops love them. They are made by 3M i think.