PDA

View Full Version : My Junk Chevy Truck

gchandler
10-09-2004, 10:58 AM
My truck is back at the dealer having transmission problems fixed again. It is a 2000 Silverado and this is the third time. The truck is not modified in any way and has never been used to tow. I am posting this on all the boards that I frequent to see if there are others thata have had similar experiances. If you have had similar experiance please take the time to post a comment on the site that I recently set up to collect customer complaints in the hope of getting Chevy to take action to fix the problem.

http://truck.hotrodhomepage.com

If you post on other boards please post a link to this thread or to the page as I want to know if this problem is only happening to me of if it is wide spread.

socalfandabodys
10-09-2004, 11:08 AM
What dealer are you taking your truck to. Having the tranny blow out over 50,000 miles on chevy trucks and vans is very common. I know of about 4 people including my self that have had tranny problems. But I dont see it as a big deal because my 94 has had no problems besides the tranny.

gchandler
10-09-2004, 11:30 AM
It has not been 50,000 miles it has been just over 20,000. It is a problem because transmissions are expensive. Does you dealer fix them for free? If it does I have need to take my truck there because not only is the cost or repairs kicking my butt, the lack of a truck for a week does not help either.

It is Chevrolets problem if they are making transmissions that can't last 50K miles. The transmission on all the other vehicles that I have owned last far longer then 20-50k miles.

Please refer you friends that have had similar problems to the site as well because I really want to collect a significant amount of data about this situation in order to let GM know that this level of quality is far from acceptable and that we will hold them to their statement that they build "the most durable, longest lasting trucks on the road."

My trucks has been mostly problem free other then the transmission, but a $3000 transmission every 25K miles on a $20,000 truck is far from being an indicator of good vehicle quality.

Ralph LoGrasso
10-09-2004, 11:47 AM
Sorry to hear about that, Geoff. My '96 Tahoe has had no problems with the tranny as far as I know(I bought it hit so I never talked to the previous owner). It's got 108500 on it now, I really hope it continues to hold up. Did your warranty cover any of the repairs? Atleast the first one?

protour_chevelle
10-09-2004, 12:13 PM
Our 97 Tahoe was at 276xxx km's and the engine and tranny and was still kickin'. We sold it a few months back with 276xxxkm's had no problems there. I think its a different tranny though?

-Matt

TurboLark
10-09-2004, 03:04 PM
I've got 103000 miles on my 99silverado and no trans problems. Hell, I've never even changed the fluid or filter yet. LOL
Of course, the rest of the truck(minus the brakes) is a POS.

gchandler
10-09-2004, 05:53 PM
what other sorts of problems have you been experiancing?

Andrew McBride
10-09-2004, 06:35 PM
haven't had any problems with my 2003 5.3L chevy Z71 fullsize yet except a switch that kicks the a/c on.
sorry to hear about your problems. vortec's are great engines, but they need better trannys in there trucks to back it up. I would write a letter to gm and tell them your concerns. Also a good dealer will work with you even if you are out of warranty.

Andrew

zbugger
10-09-2004, 07:33 PM
I've been driving a '99 Chevy Express Van for a while now. It has over 117,000 miles on it and the only issues I've had were when the Crank sensor died on it, when the intake started leaking, and getting the brakes done. No problems otherwise.

Geoff, what problems has it been having? What are the symptoms?

gchandler
10-09-2004, 10:37 PM
excessive transmission slipage and heat generation.

SYDEWAYZ71
10-09-2004, 11:13 PM
Hey Geoff sorry about the trans problems (sucks not having a truck). Did you buy a goodwrench trans from the dealer, at $3000 I'll take It you did. The trans is covered under warranty for 3years/30,000.If the dealer you bought the trans at installed it I think its covered for 3yrs/50k. The dealer should fix it free of charge.

TurboLark
10-10-2004, 06:53 AM
what other sorts of problems have you been experiancing?
Oh, man..you really want to get me started??
Quarter windows leak, lots of air noise.
Driver window rattles when down(6 tmes to dealers and they cant fix)
Rattle in front suspension(noone can figure out)
Daytime running lights(front) last no more than 2 months before bulbs die, so i quit replacing.
Intermittent power to the passenger door(speaker, mirror and window)
JUst had the hard starting problem fixed(fuel pressure regulators are prone to leaking)
There was more, but I cant remember everything.
For the revolutionary truck they said it is, it ends up being a typical Chevy POS(new vehicle, not old)

Smoke'm
10-10-2004, 07:42 AM
are you locking out the overdrive while in town???
My understanding is if you dont lock out the O/D around town at about 40/45 mph it tries to lock-up on low throttle then as you give a little gas to stay with traffic it drops out...sooo we know what happens when a trans is hunting it get's hot and raises he&& with the componets....we have a Jeep Grand Cherokee from new! and I told the wife she needed to keep it locked out around town..the dealer said no..guess who she believed...well when it was at 50k it puked and set her back 2500 to fix it..she now pushes that button like a robot going down the driveway..

I agree also that these guys need to build a trans that will live!!! there is no reason we are putting in two or three rebuilds to go like 150k with these rigs..even with a easy life and oil & filter changes they still dont live..

gchandler
10-10-2004, 09:22 AM
I have never towed with the vehicle. As far as not putting it in overdrive when in town, I live in Los Angeles so I am always in town driving and I am always going up and down hills. Funny thing is all the other cars that I have owned were able to somehow adjust to the driving conditions here.

I think that Chevy has a problem if they make a car that does not work in a small isolated coastal town like Los Angeles.

TurboLark could you post you comments on my website please.

Brad
10-10-2004, 09:25 AM
I've got 175k on mine. Two water pumps an alternator and a starter (last week) Is it. I've towed my 4k lb. boat with it for years. Never once have I changed the tranny fluid or filter. Infact I've only changed the oil maybe 4-5 times. I must be lucky!

indyjps
10-10-2004, 04:53 PM
2000 silverado 2wd short bed, 63K on it. no trans probs but ive heard of many. i changed fluid and filter @ 30k and am do to do it again. positrac went out @ 31,000 and the dealer would not touch it. i had not even towed with it @ that point. did i mention i work for GM. still didnt help.

TRILOGYZ28
10-10-2004, 06:33 PM
a buddy of mine has a 03 or an 04 Z71 and has had nothing but repeat problems with it.
a lawyer has contacted him and fought for him.....GM now has to buy back his truck (lemon law) + give him a check for the difference from his 02 ram air t/a he traded in for the truck.
i have been hearing alot of repeat problems that buyers have been having with newer Chevy and GMC trucks.....GM better get their problems taken care of or else people are gonna keep going to other auto manufacturers. :slap: :slap:

TurboLark
10-10-2004, 06:58 PM
are you locking out the overdrive while in town???
My understanding is if you dont lock out the O/D around town at about 40/45 mph it tries to lock-up on low throttle then as you give a little gas to stay with traffic it drops out...sooo we know what happens when a trans is hunting it get's hot and raises he&& with the componets....we have a Jeep Grand Cherokee from new! and I told the wife she needed to keep it locked out around town..the dealer said no..guess who she believed...well when it was at 50k it puked and set her back 2500 to fix it..she now pushes that button like a robot going down the driveway..

I agree also that these guys need to build a trans that will live!!! there is no reason we are putting in two or three rebuilds to go like 150k with these rigs..even with a easy life and oil & filter changes they still dont live..
I drive with OD on constantly. Only time it goes off is when towing my big old 4x4(6500lbs plus trailer). Only other time I take it out of OD is when I want to get around the old geez in the land barge.
Maybe it's just the way i drive. Hell, i still have the original brake pads all around.

DanT69
10-10-2004, 09:11 PM
My folks have a '99 3500 dually and it has had no problems, except the starter went out once. I have had friends with chevy/GMC 1500s and they have hade the tranny issues too! I also know plenty of people with the 2500/3500s and no problems. Is this a 1500 issue? The reason I wonder is my dad wants to trade the 3500 in for a diesel. Is anyone having the issues with the bigger trucks? Or is it time to seriously consider a Ford or a Dodge?

gchandler
10-10-2004, 11:35 PM
It is my understanding that the 1500 has a different transmission then any of the 2500 or 3500.

I am not sure about the z71

Smoke'm
10-12-2004, 10:13 AM
dont know what to tell you guys..most guys that rebuild these trans will tell ya to drive around town with it locked out...My trans guy is a very sharp old grumpy dude and tells it like it is..now some Tech at the dealer has to keep his mouth shut or fear getting fired..if he tells you the truth the first thing you will do is go to the manager and then on up the ladder..if you read about this issue you will find that climbing in and out of O/D is not a good thing....a three speed is plenty till you get on the freeway??? most arterials are 45mph tops... our traffic in the Seattle area is about as bad as any LA traffic...its hard on all componets.... now pass me a beer.

Bud.

Radio Joe
10-13-2004, 12:23 PM
Intermittent power to the passenger door(speaker, mirror and window)

Did you check the harness inside the door jamb?? I dont know how old you truck is, but it is common for the wires to break in the door jamb because they are constantly flexing. Open the door wide as it will go and then pop the rubber boot loose that protects the wires in the door jamb... inspect the wires for broken insulation and completely broken wires. just an idea...

442olds
10-21-2004, 08:32 AM
The 4l60e is the transmission put in most all 1500's, blazers, s-10's...when you get into the 2500 and 3500's you upgrade to the 4l80e which is pretty much bullet proof. So what's wrong with the 4l60e. Several things. Its a direct decendent of the 700r4, has an aluminum direct drum and an aluminum valve body. They also changed from a direct lock up converter to a pulsed lock up converter in the 4l60e's. THis is where the problems all stem from. The valve that pulses the converter to make it slip until a certian speed is reached can wear out its hole in that aluminum vlave body. Extra heat is also gernerated by this pulseing lock up converter. The fix is easy, but you have to be able to get the Transgo Shift Kit (the one in the orange box only sold to trans shops). It will convert the valve so that when it engages the lock up it engages the lock up, no slipping. Also if the vlave hole is worn they tranny shop will need to drill out the hole and insert a steel sleeve.

Once this valve wears out and you start experienceing slippage, it won't be to long before your trans will slip into a limp mode where it won't even shift out of second. Once it gets to this point you had better stop driving it or you going to puke the transmission fluid out onto the road and require a complete rebuild.

I put the trans go kit in my blazer and didn't have a lick of trouble. The dealer will deny that there is a problemwith the pulseing lock up, but if you look hard enough and deep enough in tech service bulittens you should find tsb's dealling with the slippage and its relation to the lock up converter.

Nine Ball
10-22-2004, 07:24 AM
Its not the truck, its the piece of crap 4L60e tranny. I absolutely hate those trannys, its hard to believe they put it in a fullsize truck, when guys in nearly stock Camaros can tear them up.

The 4L60e on my '02 GMC went out at 60K miles. Of course, I towed with it and also had a heavy foot. It was only a matter of time I suppose. Many, many guys on the truck forums at LS1TECH have had to rebuild their 4L60e.

Kenova
10-22-2004, 05:51 PM
I have a full size '89 GMC van with the 4L60. It has over 120,000 miles on it and it's still going. I attribute that to an oil and filter change every 25,000 miles and a lot of good luck. I also have an '04 Silverado, but it's not even broke in yet.
I've been waiting for the van's tranny to let go for years. When I first bought the van, I made up my mind that if the tranny let go, I'd be taking the tranny to a shop that speciallizes in performance trannies. They can build these trannies to take more of a beating and it would probably cost less than what the stealerships charge. In the case of the Silverado, I'll probably consider a swap to the 4L80E. That way I can get rid of the "torque management". That should increase the grin factor. :)
Ken

gchandler
10-24-2004, 10:36 AM
Would it be legal in california if I was to simply swap in a th 400 in place of the 4l60e? I did that in my chevelle and have never been happier with a single change.

Drewhelm
10-29-2004, 12:52 PM
I have an 01 GMC Ext Cab 4x4 and have had absolutely no trans problems. I have towed my boat many times, flatbeds loaded with firewood and have towed my 69 Bird several times. The truck has the heavy duty towing package, but I keep it in OD and only turn on the tow/haul switch when pulling the boat or car.

Only problem I've had was with the electric 4WD switch. At about 50K the Service 4WD light came on. I was out of warranty and the dealer still replaced it for free. Other than that it's been 86K miles with no troubles.

I did have a 90 Silverado that had a trans problem at about 20K miles the dealer rebuilt it and I had to have it redone at about 55K. I had it redone locally and it was still working great when I got rid of it at 145K miles.