PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wheel Well Paint & Air Compressor ???

rob07002
03-22-2006, 09:12 AM
Have a few qustions.

1) What would you reccomend doing in the rear wheel wells, POR15, Undercoating, etc.

2) Whats the best stuff to remove all the crap that in there now, Aircraft remover, etc

3) Whats the smallest compressor I can get for small paint jobs like this and small parts. No spray bombs if possible!

Thanks Guys....

astroracer
03-22-2006, 09:39 AM
1) Spray it with epoxy primer and then shoot some black single stage with hardener in it. Easy to remove if you need to and easy to touch up.
2) Aircraft remover and a pressure washer. use the pressure washer before and after.
3) 5 horse 60 gal. You can do it with smaller but the price difference isn't enough to bother with smaller.
Mark

rob07002
03-24-2006, 07:14 AM
Thanks Mark,
I'm actually leaning towards POR15 in the wheel wells, and a far as a cheapo compressor, I found a 10 gal, 4 horse no name from Harbor Freight for $140, can't beat that... As long as it runs the gun for small jobs at a short time...

Happyfunballs
03-24-2006, 07:25 AM
It will, but you may have to wait for the compressor to catch up and that gets old....quick. You may want to reconsider and take astros advice if possible. In this case, bigger is always better.

Jim Nilsen
03-24-2006, 08:45 AM
You don't have to spray POR15 to get good results. In fact brushing it on will be easier and less mess. Spraying it on will only save you a bit of time on big areas like the whole underside of the car at one time. POR15 flows to a smooth finish on its own and if you spray too much on you will want to brush out the runs to make it look good and it will run if you put too much on. It can be easily fixed with a brush when it happens.
Also don't use any thinners when spraying it since you will never thin it enough. I have sprayed clear , black ,and aluminum colors and they will all turn out good if you do it right.
I used a 5hp 15 gal tank Sanborn compressor and a Finishline spraygun and had little to no problems using the large tip and a bit higher pressure. POR15 will handle the wait between cycling. You will however need a bigger compessor to ever keep up with painting a whole car at once.

Goodluck, Jim Nilsen

rob07002
03-24-2006, 09:12 AM
I used a 5hp 15 gal tank Sanborn compressor and a Finishline spraygun and had little to no problems using the large tip and a bit higher pressure.
Goodluck, Jim Nilsen

That's what I wanted to hear, thanks Jim
Actually I plan to brush the POR in the wheel wells, but I want a cheapo compressor for small paint jobs and parts. I hate using spray bombs, for whatever reason I don't think you get the same quality out of a can. I plan to spray the dash, interior floor pans, some other small areas when they pop up, but thats it... I would never do an entire car with such a wimpy comp...

I just orderd the 4hp 10 gal no name comp, 2 HVLP gravity guns (1 20 oz, 1 detail), 50' air hose, couplers, 1/2" impact, and a few other things for $310 with shipping... You can't beat that with a bat! even if I get a year or two out of the stuf its worth it.. For the amount of work I'll be doing , I just couldn't see spending $2000 on a super duper compressor and pro guns....

BonzoHansen
03-24-2006, 01:10 PM
A daily driver might benefit from using something like spray on bed liner or 3m rubberized undercoating.

I have read many times about spraying POR15: it requires an air supplied mask setup due to the release of something bad for you. This does not occur when brushing it on.

Jim Nilsen
03-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Thanks for adding that you have to use a respirator while doing the spraying. You don't neccessarily need a fresh air supply mask but you do need a mask that will filter out all VOC's and fumes. The purple filters that will filter Radon gas are the ones that will protect you. Also a well ventilated area with an exhaust fan will help. It will smell up a whole house for several days if you don't have a fan. The fumes will make you sick if you get too much of them.

Jim Nilsen