PDA

View Full Version : Shop Beater gets some nice shiny Paint !!! (69 Camaro)

fletcherscustoms
03-22-2006, 08:13 AM
Well first off a Special thanks to Wayne Woodfin!! This guy worked his booty off all weekend to get this thing sprayed. Its nice having a buddy who has been a painter for 14 years, and manages a local body shop. Was nice to finally spray something in a booth!

Well we started on Friday 3/17 at about 7:30 PM. This was the first time the doors and front sheetmetal had seen the car all at once. And boy were we in for surprises. Bad gaps, rubbing, nothing fit. Well by 1 AM Saturday morning everything was on. With the help of a port-a-power, grinder and welder it all fit and gaps are all uniform and with a 3/16" all around. Oh yeah did I mention the Passenger door was stamped and welded together crooked. I had to cut a 1/2 inch off the bottom edge of the rear part of the door and then reweld!! Oh what fun it was. Saturday morning started at 8 AM with WAyne and myself and my "durablock" and 220 paper. By 3 we had here completely blocked and straight as an arrow. The final coat of primer went on about 5 PM. We baked her a little while and was out of the booth by 7PM. For the next four hours, it was my "durablock" friend again, this time with 400 paper, then 600 paper, and a water hose. Well by midnight we were done and both soaked to the bone!! Sunday morning started at 9, with me cleaning the booth. Seems the painter gets paid on commision and doesn't feel cleaning is in his job description. Needless to say the filters removed weighed close to 60 pounds each and the new ones were around 5 pounds each. We finally got the car in teh booth and started with color at about 1PM. 4 coats of base went on with proper flash time in between, then 3 coats of clear with 45 minutes in between, and a final 28 minute bake cycle in the booth. At 7 we rolled here out in all her new glory!!! And was home by 8!! It was a long weekend, but the results are awesome

Paint specs: Over $1400 worth of product sprayed in 3 days!!
PPG Global base and clear
PPG K36 Primer
Paint: Nissan Silver Mist, with a little added blue metallic!

I uploaded a few pics but tons can be found on my site at www.fletcherscustoms.com/projects/69

Steve1968LS2
03-22-2006, 08:25 AM
That's your shop "beater"??

Very nice.. love the color.

fletcherscustoms
03-22-2006, 08:28 AM
That's your shop "beater"??

Very nice.. love the color.

Yeah the color is one of my all time Favorites. I painted my two door tahoe the same color last year.

yeah thats the name its been givin!! Car is being built as a rolling business card for the shop. I plan to drive it as a daily driver, beat the tar our of it on the weekends, and play hard. The sole reason of building this car was to play hard!! We are placing bets on how long the first set of rear tires last.

69's are just my first love in cars. I currently doing 2 of them. The shop beater and then another x55 car that is getting the full treatment with Wayne due, DSE 4 link, and a Nelson twin turbo SBC