PDA

View Full Version : TKO-600 leaks

sporter
10-08-2004, 04:32 PM
Grrr! My new TKO-600 leaks from the countershaft case plug. It leaked from day one but I kept trying to track the leak down by tightening and resealing everything. I resealed the front bearing retainer but that was not the problem. After about 900 miles or so I finally used dye and an ultraviolet light to track it down to the case plug. Its sealed by an O ring that requires teardown of the trans for replacement. I really don't want to tear this trans down to replace a stupid O ring or ship it across the country for repair unless I absolutely have to.

Has anyone else noticed any leaks from this area? Any ideas on sealing it externally? Thread locker or thread sealant maybe? It seeps enough oil overnight to make a 3" circle on the floor. Thanks.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Norwoodx55
10-08-2004, 06:22 PM
I know this doesn't help any, but boy does that suck!
Sorry bro, Brett

sporter
10-08-2004, 08:07 PM
A better shot.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

sporter
10-15-2004, 05:23 AM
While most TKO-600s don't seem to have a problem, a few other owners have reported their TKO-600s are leaking here too. You may want to fill your trans and check it before you install it. I fixed the leak with some thread locker. Just did not want to either ship this sucker back across the country or tear it down completely for a simple leak. Thanks.

CoryM
10-17-2004, 09:07 AM
Is that just a press fit plug? Seems kind of odd to have a press fit plug in the area of the tranny that is going to torque and flex a lot. I have found aviation form-a-gasket to work well in press fit seals. Awful stuff to work with though, unless you like having brown goop on your hands that is not water soluble (brake clean works though). Some people use it to seal normal gaskets and its incredibly difficult to remove so I suggest to not use it on gaskets.

sporter
10-17-2004, 10:01 AM
The plug fits from the inside, has a shoulder to hold it and uses an O-ring to seal it. To change the O-ring you must tear the trans completely down, which is usually about $300 labor, not counting the hassle of pulling and re-installing the trans.

CoryM
10-17-2004, 10:28 AM
Ok, Still might be worthwhile to slap some aviation form-a-gasket on that plug before install. Certainly wont hurt anything (except your chances with the GF with brown gunk on your fingers for days :naughty: ) If you decide to drive it a while before pulling it make sure to check that no oil is going to contaminate your clutch and that your oil level is high enough. $300 rebuild is cheap compared to some clutches.