PDA

View Full Version : Tilt column

Damn True
03-20-2006, 12:46 AM
It occured to me that getting into the car with a proper cage installed would be easier if I had a tilt column to get the wheel out of the way a bit.

Wondering;

From a safety standpoint is there any problem regarding the use of a tilt column from Ididit or a rebuilt or NOS GM unit?

Any problem in mounting a Sparco (or similar) wheel to some of the aftermarket columns (Ididit, flaming river etc)?

Todds69
03-20-2006, 06:28 AM
I just looked at the Ididit replacement column for the '69 Camaro (tilt) and it accepts the stock or aftermarket wheels. I think most do but don't quote me.

Travis B
03-20-2006, 08:33 AM
It occured to me that getting into the car with a proper cage installed would be easier if I had a tilt column to get the wheel out of the way a bit.

Wondering;

From a safety standpoint is there any problem regarding the use of a tilt column from Ididit or a rebuilt or NOS GM unit?

Any problem in mounting a Sparco (or similar) wheel to some of the aftermarket columns (Ididit, flaming river etc)?

No problem what so ever almost every steering wheel company makes an adapter to bolt there wheel to virtually any column. We use flaminf rivers in most of our cars

Damn True
03-20-2006, 08:37 AM
I'm a lot more concerned with safety and stability than I am with fitment.

I was pretty sure that darn near anything "could" be adapted to an aftermarket column, but was wondering if it would entail some bulky adapter that might put the wheel in an odd position relative to the driver.

Travis B
03-20-2006, 08:40 AM
I'm a lot more concerned with safety and stability than I am with fitment.

I was pretty sure that darn near anything "could" be adapted to an aftermarket column, but was wondering if it would entail some bulky adapter that might put the wheel in an odd position relative to the driver.

If you order the replacment column it should use the factory stuff to hold it in postion! We usally buy the universal ones and make our own bracketry!

Ralph LoGrasso
03-20-2006, 11:29 AM
What about just using one of the quick release adapters so you can just pull the steering wheel on and off (nascar style). This is what I'm planning on doing, since the tilt columns are pretty expensive

Damn True
03-20-2006, 11:40 AM
What about just using one of the quick release adapters so you can just pull the steering wheel on and off (nascar style). This is what I'm planning on doing, since the tilt columns are pretty expensive

Thought about that, and it's a great idea. Most of those ad about 2" to the length of the column though.
I'd have to see one installed before making a decision.

Ralph LoGrasso
03-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Hmm, I hadn't taken the added length into consideration. I'm planning on building a cheap and simple coulmn out of round tubing and a collapsable u-joint (Matt@RFR gave me the specific plans once, but I've since forgotten), so I suppose it could just be cut to length.

BonzoHansen
03-21-2006, 11:20 AM
I remember a lot of discussion about this at Team Camaro. It centered on aftermarket columns not being collapsible. I’m sure 1st gen columns are collapsible, at leapt early ones. Maybe search over there.