PDA

View Full Version : So I had a supposed

kamaroman68
03-19-2006, 01:08 PM
So I had a supposed welder come to my house to help me with some of my welding chores on my camaro. I had previously posted as many questions on doing this work as I could but still felt that I was incapable of welding thin to thick without burn through. Well this turned out to be a big mistake and now I am asking what to do to fix this. Do I carefully grind it all out? I am unsure if this guy even got any penetration into the thicker of the two metals. If I grind it out but cannot remove it all do I need to increase the heat settings to penetrate the weld that was not completely removable. If it helps I will see if I can post some pictures. Thanks Chris

Speed Raycer
03-30-2006, 05:41 PM
Pics would be a big help. W/O them, we're just guessing.

If you're at all concerned about it, grind it out and start over.

For me, thick to thin is all about technique. Keep your "heat" on the thicker piece and wet it into the thinner, then back up to the thicker.

Make sure everything's clean clean clean, especially the back side of the thin.

High Plains Mopars
04-22-2006, 08:32 AM
Ifyour going to get assistance on thing like this, try to mock of a similar piece to have them demonstrate on, or use it to practice yourself.

The key is to concentrate the heat in the thicker peice while just allowing the edge of the molten pool to roll into the thinner material. While it seems counter-intuitive, you need to run your settings pretty hot, and move fairly quickley to minimize the heat distortion on the thin material.

Matt@RFR
04-22-2006, 08:38 AM
pretty hot = The correct setting for the thicker piece.