PDA

View Full Version : new guy with an el-co

chromefeet_withbeat
03-18-2006, 07:53 PM
Hey guys I'm happy my friend referred me here, this should be just the place I need. I drive this 71 El Camino and I'm also trying to finish my 70 Cutlass S project, and the elco needs some suspension work. (if you hate the gold ones, relax, it's got chrome ralleyes now, I need to take some new pics)

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

My problem is with the suspension, which is too bouncy, and over-corrects and over-oscillates which gives me poor control sometimes. On even mild bumps, the suspension overtravels and the front risks bottoming out, even though I have 4 inches of ground clearance. It has a 350, all iron, no a/c, stock height moog springs in front, moog cargo coils in the rear, kyb gasajust shocks, and the stock front sway bar. I've gone to a few forums and gotten contradictory and ambiguous advice. Some have told me I should get gas shocks so I can adjust them and control the oscillation of the springs, others have said I should get big block springs in the front, but I dont know who to listen too. Since this is pro-touring, I was hoping you guys could give me some sound advice, thanks.

sinned
03-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Now that the picture issue has been resolved and I can read your post, let me welcome a fellow Elco owner and Bay area resident to the board. You are correct in assuming this is the place to get the correct advise and in you assessment that the advise you have received thus far is basic internet BS. You need to start with the basics, get the suspension overhauled, replace the bushings and ball joints as well as steering linkage. The choice of parts is completely up to you, only you know how you intend to use this vehicle and what your budgetary requirements are. I would recommend solid bushings or Teflon lined at least in the front, something like a Hotchkis spring and Edlebrock shock (Koni or Bilsteins would be nice but are fairly expensive). Go into the suspension thread with a basic outline of what you intend to do with the car and what you monetary constraints are, you will get the advise you are looking for.

zbugger
03-19-2006, 01:16 PM
lol... Thanks for the welcome Dennis.

Chromefeet? What's your name? What part of the city are you in? Welcome to the site and I hope you get the info you're looking for.

Ralph LoGrasso
03-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Welcome to the site.

chromefeet_withbeat
03-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the welcomes everybody. My name is Herman, zbugger, and I actually live in Daly City but I just say SF so it gives people a better idea of where that is. I guess I'll take my business to the suspension forum then. :twothumbs