PDA

View Full Version : Napa Gold Oil Filters..."hax"

JJSmitches
03-17-2006, 02:09 PM
In online gaming when I person cheats they are often said to be using "HAX." I know...online gaming is probably not the most mature community, but I am a member. This past week I discovered my local NAPA Auto parts store was using thier own HAX!

Napa Gold oil filters which are supposed to be the equivilent of the Wix filters that feature the anti-drainback valve. How are they hax? I purchased two of them only to find neither had the valve. I returned them. Let the counter person know the problem and that he should send them back. He made a remark basically saying that I was BS.

So I bought back one of the returned filters cut it open and took it to the store to show them. Bought the second one and asked how many more they had. Of course now he has zero left, I bought the last 2 SBC oil filters. 20 mins later, 2 more counter guys, an assistant manager, and 3 attempts to take back the second filter I had purchased so they can "order me anything I need" I walked out.

Maybe I am being petty, but I want what I pay for.

Ralph LoGrasso
03-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Go with a K&N (gold series) oil filter. They're around $2 more than the napa golds ($12-14) and they're not as easy to find, but they're a great oil filter and shouldn't give you any problems.

LowBuckX
03-17-2006, 04:36 PM
K&Ns can be had from Summit or Advanced auto parts. My advanced stocks most of the K&N line. $9 for the oil filter.
summit number KNN-HP-2002

Ralph LoGrasso
03-17-2006, 04:47 PM
$9? That's a real good price, I'm going to have to go to Advanced next time; I usually find mine at Autozone. I think I paid $13 for an HP2006 the last time I was there. I really prefer the K&N's, especially since the HP2006 which is a long truck filter will work on the 4th gen LS1 cars (possibly all LSX cars if there is clearance) instead of using the regular "short" K&N.

homerneedspeed
03-17-2006, 08:31 PM
When I purchased my Miata I learned the value of a good oil filter because it is mounted sideways between the k-member and intake manifold. The only filters manufacturers I found to have drainback valves in all of there products were Bosch and Mobil1, both of which are over ten bucks wich isin't too bad if you think about the fact that a case of synthetic Mobil1 10W-30, what I use in all my cars, costs close to thirty dollars. All added up I spend close to fifty dollars each oil change but I only do it every 5k or 4 months to save money, plus it's synthetic so I feel i'm still safe.

TonyHuntimer
03-17-2006, 10:54 PM
Have you checked the Napa Gold filters? Do they really have the drainback feature?

I was under the impression filter companies don't put the anti-drainback feature on filters that are mounted low with the mount facing upwards...like the Chevy small and big-block. But the impression I also had was that maufacturers that have filters that mount sideways and higher do have the anti-drainback feature...because they need the feature. I only get these impressions due to a conversation I had with an oil filter manufacturer...WIX. It's possible I talked with the wrong guy.

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

JJSmitches
03-18-2006, 12:32 AM
I have purchased Napa Gold filters in the past. They were white and did have an orangeish anti-drainback valve. The box clearly shows that the anti-drainback valve is visible and has a cut view of the filter that shows it should have the feature.

Im a bit upset that they are now selling these filters that do not have the anti-drainback valve but still package them in the box showing this feature.

I will post some pictures in the morning.

LowBuckX
03-18-2006, 02:24 AM
$9? That's a real good price, I'm going to have to go to Advanced next time; I usually find mine at Autozone. I think I paid $13 for an HP2006 the last time I was there. I really prefer the K&N's, especially since the HP2006 which is a long truck filter will work on the 4th gen LS1 cars (possibly all LSX cars if there is clearance) instead of using the regular "short" K&N.

Those are also $8.69 at Summit and my loval advance is right in line with summit. Summit is also about 10 miles from the advance if that has anything to do with it.

KNN-HP-2006 <---- summit part number.

sinned
03-18-2006, 07:45 AM
Why do we care if the typical GM application filter has a drainback valve or not, it does nothing when mounted upside down? The Napa Gold line is a well built quaity filter with at least 3X the pleating of the typical HD Fram, I'll stick with them as I have for 15 years.

LowBuckX
03-18-2006, 10:08 AM
I agree with jasapata in the respect of "I want what I pay for" If they used to make it a certain way and now changed with no reflection in price well thats a problem

Ralph LoGrasso
03-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Those are also $8.69 at Summit and my loval advance is right in line with summit. Summit is also about 10 miles from the advance if that has anything to do with it.

KNN-HP-2006 <---- summit part number.

Thanks! It'll be nice to save 5 bucks a filter.

Joey_H
03-20-2006, 11:56 AM
Its "hacks", not hax.:usa:

67cam406
03-20-2006, 01:08 PM
I just put a Napa Gold on My Camaro on Saturday. #1061. For $6.49, I thought that was a little high!!!! Do they cost More Elsewhere?

Thanks,
Kevin

MarkM66
03-20-2006, 01:23 PM
I use the $2 SuperTech filter. :) .

JJSmitches
03-20-2006, 01:48 PM
I paid $5.89 for each of the two I purchased. The Select version was about $2.50 to $3 bucks less. This is pretty much what I got with the 2 Napa Gold filters that were missing the valve.

JJSmitches
03-21-2006, 10:43 AM
This morning I got a call from a Napa Auto District Manager who tells me I will get a refund for the filter I cut in half. He is in an area store during the call.

After explaining my situation he grabs a filter off the shelf. After explaining to him what to look for on the box and in the filter he says he doesnt see the anti-drainback valve that is shown on the box. He also states he is not an expert and that he will have to contact his buyer yadda yadda.

He told me he was in a different store than where I bought my filters from. That means there is a good chance that EVERYONE that bought a Napa Gold filter recently probably got (insert explitive). I guess I am just lucky that I was specifically looking for the anti-drainback vavle.

paul67
03-21-2006, 12:04 PM
does anyone fill the filter up before putting in the engine if not you should as it can take up 1/2 pint to fill and if not the engine running with no oil till it fills up. Also if you store the engine for a long time the weight of the crank can squash the oil from under it so if you cannot start it for a few months take the disy out and spin with a drill so the pump puts oil around the engine and under the crank before firing or you can score the bearing.
paul67