PDA

View Full Version : Cooling a ZZ4 with Stock Radiator,Shroud but what fan?

NOVA
03-16-2006, 06:37 PM
I have a new Ultra March Pulley set up that I plan on using on the ZZ4 motor and I would like to use as much stock stuff as possible meaning ,Radiator,shroud and some kind of fan not certain yet also I will eventually be adding a/c but not this year and according to march I can add it later.

72 NOVA

ZZ4/700R4 Trans.
Fan?
Stock Radiator/shroud
March Pulley's New Ultra: supposedly this is a new addition to there line of pulleys www.marchperf.com/pg66.html (http://www.marchperf.com/pg66.html) but they said this is what would work fine with a long w/pump,I like the serpentine belt drive pulleys better.

It seems like an easy swap but this cooling thing has me wondering a little.

Can anyone clear up this issue,I just want simplicity,stock looking and very functional sounds easy enough.

Thanks for your feedback.

LowBuckX
03-17-2006, 04:32 PM
These fans move ungodly amounts of air. be sure your water pump is not sloppy before you run one of these.

FLX-1617P<----Summit part number
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/03/flx1615p_m-1.jpg

I have a 72 also before switching to the taurus fan I ran a 18" fan like the one I posted measure your shroud before ordering. Thats if you order/ :1st:

NOVA
03-18-2006, 09:05 AM
my other concern is if the fan will work with the new ultra march serpentine pulley and stock 20 inch radiator,the water pumps on the ZZ4's come with the LONG style,march tells me the new system will work with the long,seems like this will be a tight fan between fan & radiator?
any one else using this set up?

dhardison
03-18-2006, 09:09 AM
These fans move ungodly amounts of air. be sure your water pump is not sloppy before you run one of these. LowBuck, how noisy is that fan (especially at highway speeds)?

LowBuckX
03-18-2006, 10:05 AM
LowBuck, how noisy is that fan (especially at highway speeds)?

These fans are not noisy like a flex fan. They dod make a little but nothing like the superchargeresque squeel of my old flex fan.

Thanks now my only concern is if the fan will work with the new ultra march pulley and stock radiator,the water pumps on the ZZ4 are the LONG, the march pulley set up I have is for this pump (I hope the clearance will be ok?)

You do need to run fan spacers but get them at your local part store so you can taylor the fit. You wont be able to just bolt the fan to the pump. on a stock set up it hit the alternator pully and doesnt project into the shoud.

NOVA
03-19-2006, 08:39 AM
bttt .....

my other concern is if the fan will work with the new ultra march serpentine pulley,the water pumps on the ZZ4's come with the LONG style,march tells me the new system will work with the long pump,seems like this will be a tight squeeze between fan & radiator?
anyone used the new ultra march serpentine pulleys?

LowBuckX
03-19-2006, 10:28 AM
I have a long pump. I dont think the zz4 pump is longer.

No voodoo here just a reg long pump

Cast iron Long style water pumps are used with standard "V" belt rotation and 1979-86 power steering pump