PDA

View Full Version : Should I sell my baby (pics/vids here) or build it into a beast??

Silver TT
10-08-2004, 09:17 AM
Hey Guys,

I have a show condition '68 Camaro RS Convertible. I just sold it on Ebay for $23.5k but there is a chance I can get out of the sale. I am definitely having mixed feelings about selling the car.

My eventual goal is to have a modern running (LS1/6 and T-56) with pro-touring suspension, brakes, etc. This car would be the perfect platform, but I would need to pull out a perfectly fine drivetrain, brand new wheels, do a new subframe/suspension, mini-tubs (maybe), etc.

Pics and Videos here: http://www.danvene.com/gallery/68camaro

Am I better off taking the $23.5k for this one and starting with less restored car? I am thinking it would cost me about $15-25k to get this car where I really want after what I already have in it. Total Investment: Almost $50k

So the question is...if I started with a much cheaper platform - clean and straight convertible, not running, needing some paint, etc. and bought that for around $10k and had DSE or some other high quality shop dump $30-40k into it would I have something closer to my goals? I don't really know how much it would cost to do a bit of body work, high quality paint, interior, all new LS1/T56 drivetrain, etc.

Past experiences or advice would be great.

Thanks,

Dan

Piet
10-08-2004, 01:01 PM
I am trying to remember where...but I was reading about how they now have a full steel body Camaro kit for sale (based off the 68 I think). Motor trend maybe? Hot Rod? anyone?

I would be tempted to go this route.

Ricoch3T
10-08-2004, 01:30 PM
Wow, Id never rip that thing apart. It looks to nice the way it is. Course if you want you can rip it up then sell to me a little cheaper ;-).
I'd see ifn you can find one thats not fixed up yet or at least one that doesn't look as good.
Also if you find a stock pile of them anywhere send a couple my way I can't seem to find any that people don't want an arm and a leg for :rolleyes5

in2protour
10-08-2004, 01:53 PM
I think that you're going to spend way more than 50K for the mods that you're talking about unless you do the work yourself. I've got over 50K on my car just in parts and I don't have a mini-tub mod on my Camaro. Plus, I wouldn't want to cut up that clean looking convertible to add mini-tub. Find yourself a clean 6 cylinder Camaro convertible and hack away. Just my 2 pennies!

Kenova
10-08-2004, 06:07 PM
Here's a link to a thread about re-pop '69 Camaro convertables :naughty:

http://66.70.234.198/forum/showthread.php?t=917

I think I read that DSE mini-tubs would be an option.
Ken

68ls1
10-08-2004, 08:16 PM
You have got to be kidding me? You wouldn't want to start cutting that car up for mini tubs, subframe connectors, roll bar/cage etc... I think in the long run, based on what the car is already worth you'd be throwing money away. Find yourself a decent, fixable car and work up from there. Something where you won't be cringing everytime you hear the sound of a sawzall, and then dig in!
The repop 69 convert. discussed above is around 12K for the body and bare front subframe. That could get expensive in a hurry if you don't have a donor car with all the bits and pieces you'll need (interior, front/rear suspension,lights, bumpers...). Although getting tougher to find, there are 67-69 Camaro's out there in need of a new home and some TLC.
My .02

Chill, Noel.

nancejd
10-09-2004, 11:11 AM
To me it would depend. If it is a numbers matching car, I wouldn't hack into it. But if it's a nice cruiser, I think you would be ahead to start with something complete and straight, unless it is going to be highly customized. Buying all of the little pieces one at a time is more expensive than buying a nice car with all that stuff already done. Finding a convertable for 10K is going to be pretty tough, or the car is going to be very rough.

Milow68
10-10-2004, 09:01 PM
I guess I wouldn't cut up a done car! I would seriously look into the 69 repop of the convertible. Good start for 12K or so. :bananna2:
But you have to make yourself happy with the end product. :cool:
MY .02
Brad

Silver TT
10-13-2004, 08:14 AM
Here's a link to a thread about re-pop '69 Camaro convertables :naughty:

http://66.70.234.198/forum/showthread.php?t=917

I think I read that DSE mini-tubs would be an option.
Ken

Everyone - Thanks for the advice... I agree it would be a real shame to cut up this perfectly fine car and since I would probably wind up doing a subframe, new suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, engine, tranny, etc...I am basically buying all new components anyway. The vert is sold...so my decision has been made for me.

Kenova - Thanks for the link on the repop '69. I called a few places and it looks like you can get these for about $9,999. Any more information people have please send my way. At the end of the day, a brand new repop with all modern suspension, drivetrain, and gauges is going drive a lot better and be way more reliable than my car even if I did put $20k into it. And mine is not "eat off it clean" on the bottom like this new repop will be. The paint is good, but not perfect by any means either.

But a few quesitons remain:

1. Would I be best off having someone like Vennom (www.vennom.com) build me a custom race chassis to sit under this body?

2. What am I looking at in terms of cost to do a full re-pop buildup?

My Guesstimates:
Custom Race Chassis: $10,000
Full re-pop unibody: $10,000
Interior, race seats, etc: $4,000
Gauges, lights, wiring: $2,000?
Drivetrain (new LS6 or LS2 with T-56): $12,000?
Paint: $4,000
Wheels,Tries: $4,000
Body and Drivetrain assembly: 300 hrs @$50/hour = $15,000
Total: $61,000

Seems like a fairly realistic estimate right? The car would sure run and handle a whole lot better than mine ever would even with another $30k dumped in on top of my $25k initial investment. Not sure about re-sale value since it would not be 'original', but I would plan to keep this car and drive the hell out of it. As for comparisons to a Z06, I would take this car over a Z06 anyday from a style and uniqueness standpoint.

Thoughts?

Silver TT
10-20-2004, 12:28 PM
Anyone have a thought on this project?

Is it possible or at all economical to consider starting with a bare race chassis and dropping a new steel body on top or by the time you add up all the wiring, lights, misc items, etc. is it far too expensive?

MoeBawlz
10-21-2004, 10:29 AM
well what are you planning on doing for interior? do you want a custom interior or are you going to keep it pretty stock looking overall? If you plan on keeping it more stock looking id say go with a car that already has an interior and stay away from the repro body.

and that misc stuff adds up REALLY FAST... you may want to really sit down and figure out what you want out of this car and also actual numbers for each option.

and im not positive on this but im pretty sure that 69 verts are out now and then the 69 coupe will come out, and following that 67,68 vert and coupe. depeding on what body you might favor more. it may be a little while before the 67,68 body comes out.

sporter
10-21-2004, 03:05 PM
My take...sell it and buy this puppy! Your inner G-force junkie will thank you.

Lingenfelter Twin Turbo (http://www.lingenfelter.com/classified0042.asp)

or this one....

540 ci Corvette (http://www.lingenfelter.com/classified0050.asp)

TA219
10-22-2004, 06:21 AM
I say keep it and enjoy it. oh , and the vid was cool , i was hoping for a better ending :crying: :drool: