PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone, I'm New to these boards

NovaMan
03-15-2006, 04:16 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/03/icon5-1.gif 1972 Nova LT1 Conversion
Well everyone there is a lot good posts here and have read as many as humanly possible. Some of my questions were answered and some not. So if I could take some of your time about information I would like to know before I start on a 1972 Nova LT 1 conversion.
Here is my basic set up that I want to use in the car; I got ahold of a returned warranty motor years back from some of GM’S stock. I am going to take the motor and convert it to a carb setup, with a 700 R4, and a twelve bolt with I think 3:73 (not full decided yet).
Here are the questions that arise from doing the conversion, Whom makes a pulley system that will fit the motor? The reason is I am going to run a 6 ¾ inch zero balanced dampner that will be keyed onto the crank. Can a regular small block pulley system be used? The next question is what type of header can be used to achieve the clearance issues? The 1972 Nova has a column shift Th 350 in it now, is there any companies that make a detent for the 700 R4, I really want to keep it as stock looking inside as possible. The next question is the reverse cooling can the stock radiator be used in order to run this motor with just changing the nose configuration?

I figured that someone here has thought or completed one of these conversions, and there is no need to re-invent the wheel, if I can learn from someone else’s build.

Oh and the motor will be standard bore, with a 750 double pumper mounted on the LT –1 high performance manifold from GM. The cam is another issue, what in all your opinions would be the best to run with a set of Beehive springs. I was into that whole drag racing thing and after the last 585ci roller big block I want something that will pull from low rpm to high rpm and give a nice smooth throttle response. It must be able to produce enough vacuum to run my power brakes. The car is basically being built to handle, and pull 1 g on the skid pad, no more of the straight-line stuff!

Well any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

NovaMan

MuscleRodz
03-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Welcome. Call Street & Performance in AR. They have a pulley system and headers that should work. Stock SBC pulley set will not work. Lt-1 also runs "D" port headers with angle plugs, so header choices will be few and expensive. They also have a section in their catalog and on their website where they show installing a LT-1 in a Camaro which should not be to much different than your Nova. I don't think any changes to the column are required, not real sure on that. There is a couple people making new lenses for the OD but they don't fit all columns. Just have to try one.

Mike

NvrDun71
03-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Welcome aboard. Sounds like a cool project.:pics2:

zman1969
03-16-2006, 03:05 PM
most headers should fit this fine , dont bother with a 12 bolt your nova should have a 8.5" rear - keep it and upgrade it save money for other items you want for it that was the rear that replaced the 12 bolt as the H/D rear end - parts are alot cheaper and easier to find . shiftworks should help you out on your shifter adaptation . stock LT1 cam should be fine in this motor but it has no provision (or lobe) for a mech fuel pump - (ask me how i know) or a zz4 cam would work well and has the lobe - pretty cheap too 75-125$ and are a roller or a hot cam ? my sons 72 chevelle has stock lt1 cam small tube headers vortech heads - smooth idle and runs GOOD - smooth idle , hope this helps you - good luck :git:

hotrodgary
03-16-2006, 03:27 PM
Hello! And Welcome!

NovaMan
03-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks everyone for the help and support. I have had this car in my garage for about 10 years after purchasing it from a employee of mine. I will get some picks up over the weekend, basically every sheetmetal part has been removed and replaced already, (except the two doors) There was no rust, but the guy that owned it liked to tip a few back, so the car even though it only has 36,000 miles was full of dents and dings, so it was easier to replace everything that unbolted.
I truely enjoy the hobby, been doing it for over 28 years, but I think that this will be the last, time to hand it to the next generation....

Thanks again, I wanted some input as too complete this car with the best avalible knowledge from this website, and you guys are great offering up so many helpful knowledge and resources to make this car into a great project. Can't thank you guy's enough

NovaMan

dhardison
03-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Welcome NovaMan, sounds like a cool conversion. Looking forward to those pics.....

Ralph LoGrasso
03-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Welcome to the site.

NovaMan
02-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Well after a long siesta I thought I would fill everyone in on the conversion on my nova, I have been really busy and unable to work on the car for a couple of years, but the wife says the car has to get done and to spend as much as I want as long as it gets out of the garage. So after a couple of years of thought I am no longer going to use the LT-1, its basically finished but will find its self either in the corner or will try to sell it. I have decided to use a LS2 instead of the LT1. I also have changed my mind on what I really wanted to do with the complete project, so, I am going to strip the car, get her up on a rotisserie (already done) and start a frame off and change the car’s dynamics to a pro-touring car with air suspension and all the goodies. I am going to unload all the original parts and use some high tech stuff.

I will post some pictures by the end of the week of the car finally on the rotisserie and stripped of all the parts getting ready for blasting. I look forward too feedback as I go along with the project, and hopefully I will not get too sidetracked with my business and all the problems that arise.

WS6
02-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Wow, that's quite a change of plans. Best of luck to you and keep up posted for sure.

NovaMan
02-10-2008, 01:31 PM
As promised I am posting some photos of the car after pressure cleaning, there is one butchered floor pan that I will fix, otherwise very little rust after cleaning stripped everything.

I know what color I want to apply to the car and was wondering if anyone on the site could help me figure out the color code from a picture and get close as they can to the pearlesent blue. I had all the paint shops around here try to figure it out but nobody can get close. I hope someone here has a color program.

Well I am going to order the air ride suspension kit for the front and rear early this week, as it wont be long before the body is completed.

67SSDan
02-11-2008, 03:51 AM
Whew man... wish my wife would say that! LOL

but the wife says the car has to get done and to spend as much as I want as long as it gets out of the garage

NovaMan
05-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Well guy’s finally back in town could not work on the car a whole lot because we were always out of town and never home, with my work back in the area I am going to restart the project, a couple of months ago it was media blasted by Topstone Media Blasting in Oakland Park, and Rick from M&M Speed and Frank from Prodigy have helped me get most of the parts while I have been out on the road. Long way to go but the parts are here so though the summer the kids will be at camp so I will get some car time in between deep sea fishing.
Anyway I procured a 2006 GTO LS2 with a T-56 for a song, and it has less than 30,000 miles on it, so the ls3 is going to set on the back burner for right now. I have read some posts on here with the GTO motor conversion so if anyone can point me to some more articles would be much appreciated as I may have missed some.
I have looked at a lot of informative articles but may have missed a few.
Like I told Frank I was trying to get the car completed earlier this year but ran into some issues which prevented me from completing the car on top of my work schedule. I really have not come up with a name for the build but it will be dedicated to my dear late friend and partner Papa Joe, he really wanted to see the car completed and help with the build, but the good lord had better plans for him earlier this year.
So any input or criticism would be appreciated and look forward to sharing this car with everyone here.
Frank, thanks again for your input and we will be talking soon, nice shop by the way, enjoyed the tour.

John K.