PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Camaros w/ MANUAL steering!

super74
10-07-2004, 08:07 PM
I was wondering how it was driving around with 17" or 18" wheels with manual steering. How is the steering response? decent or real slow?
What about in a parking lot, is it hard to manuver? I am contemplating swapping to manual because it is a much cleaner install, not as many accessories to drive,no hoses an pump to leak. But most of the steering boxes I've seen have been 6 turns lock to lock? If you got manual steering and you like it, let me know what kind of steering box it is or where I can find one, Convince me to go with manual steering!
By the way, I am running a 74 camaro, Any help or suggestions are welcome. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

CAMAROBOY69
10-08-2004, 03:48 AM
My car just plain sucks with the original manual steering. It always sucked and still does. :banghead: 15" or 18" didnt matter. Still sucks.
:edit A brand new manual steering box will do a lot better especially one with a quicker gear ratio.

derekf
10-08-2004, 07:06 AM
Hi Super (what's your name?), welcome to the site.

Wheel diameter is not such a big deal - the tire diameter would remain close to the same anyway.

Wheel width is a bigger influence - the wider the tires, the harder the car is to steer at a dead stop.

When you're moving it's not too bad regardless of width; I'm sure you've driven a power steering car with failed power assist.

I imagine that if you couldn't find a manual box with a good lock-to-lock number, you could fill a good power box with fluid and cap it off so it didn't leak out (others may be able to chime in on this to tell you that's a good/bad idea).

whytry
10-08-2004, 09:09 AM
I don't really have a problem with my manual steering on my Camaro. It has had manual since I bought it. Never changed to power. I agree with Derek though, tougher to turn wheel when stopped, but not that much tougher...

super74
10-08-2004, 02:53 PM
What would be a good replacement, or donor car to get a quicker ratio box from. Is a manual box from an 80's S-10 or a 70 Camaro a good choice? I have driven my Camaro with the belt off the pump with my power steering box, And I had a 1969 3/4 ton gmc long bed that 47 turns lock to lock!!!!!!!, not really but I think you know what I mean. Niether one was any good. If you have swapped to manual steering,please chime in. THANKS.

streetk14
10-09-2004, 08:59 AM
What's up guys. I used to have a stock manual box in my 68. I have to say that it was not a fun experience. When I assembled my car after it was purchased, I used the stock power steering setup that came with it. Every part leaked, so I switched to a manual box off a 68 that my friend had crashed. Even with skinny drag tires in front (at the time), parking was still a pain. When I converted my car to handle, I still had the manual box, and it was much worse. The ratio was slow, and with wide tires it was hard to steer, even at speed. I switched to a fast ratio power setup with all new parts, and I couldn't be happier.
-Andy