PDA

View Full Version : New exhaust opinion

69ratfed
03-15-2006, 06:21 AM
I'm getting ready to order new exhaust and want some opinions. I currently have hooker super comps and Flowmaster 40's. Way to loud. I would like to go with a X-pipe going to Borla XR-1'S, Torque Tech tail pipes and Spintech polished oval tips to fit between quarter and springs. 3 inch all the way.
Hopefully it will quiet the 454 down a bit but still have the big block rumble. What's everyones opinion of this set-up and which x-pipe is everyone running? Plus, will the XR-1's be quieter than the 40's?:dunno All of this is going on a 69 RS 454

Z06killinSBF
03-15-2006, 08:28 AM
I know the ragular Borla mufflers are fairly quiet. You could also look into Magnaflow mufflers or even Dynomax Ultra-Flos.

CAMAROBOY69
03-15-2006, 08:30 AM
Just hooking up the x pipe will quite it down quite a bit.

mikes69z
03-17-2006, 09:44 AM
I have flowmaster 40 series with a crossover on my SBC with Hedman Headers and it's not that loud - only when you get on it.

bdoobie69
03-17-2006, 04:15 PM
I also have the x-pipe along with flowmaster 40 series mufflers. I was surprised how tame it sounded compared to the same setup without an x-pipe. Sounds nice when you get on it.

Zee
03-17-2006, 04:56 PM
I run Tri-y headers into a Pypes X-pipe, 14" stainless Magnaflows and Pypes tails.

http://www.pypesexhaust.com/sys-camaro.html

I couldn't be happier with the sound. I would save the money on the Borla's and go with either stainless Magnaflows or stainless Ultraflows. The ultraflows flow slighly better according to tests but the packing material is better on the Magnaflows.

zbugger
03-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Aren't the XR-1's the race mufflers? From what I remember, they should be just as loud as the Flowmaster 40's. My Flowmasters are really loud at rpm's, but pretty nice at idle. Although my exhaust flows through a single catalytic converter and splits to two mufflers. And then there's the full tailpipes out the back that made it much quieter.

69ratfed
03-27-2006, 05:41 AM
Aren't the XR-1's the race mufflers? From what I remember, they should be just as loud as the Flowmaster 40's. My Flowmasters are really loud at rpm's, but pretty nice at idle. Although my exhaust flows through a single catalytic converter and splits to two mufflers. And then there's the full tailpipes out the back that made it much quieter.

Borla XR-1's flow better than flowmaster. However, going with a X-pipe first. Question is now which one?:firefire: :seizure: :banghead:

chicane67
03-27-2006, 09:43 PM
Borla XR-1's flow better than flowmaster. However, going with a X-pipe first. Question is now which one?:firefire: :seizure: :banghead:

Burns Stainless....

69ratfed
03-28-2006, 05:24 AM
:smoke: I looked at the Burns and all of the others. IMO I like the Dr. Gas one. It looks like it is well built. They are pricey though. Like the ole saying goes "you get what you pay for."

USAZR1
03-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Other nice stainless X-pipes are made by B&B Tri-Flo and Bassani.
The B&B units are a work of art.