PDA

View Full Version : So what would you do?

Josh
03-15-2006, 06:21 AM
I never thought I would be writing one of these "my painter did this" threads but oh well. My 68 was painted a couple years ago by a friend (sort of) in his shop. Basically he ran about 25% over the max estimate and had the car for a year and a half but in the end it looked good and so I bit my lip and was done. Along the way I personally did tons of the grunt work for the job including ALL disassembly including engine, trans, front clip, interior etc. I spent many hours in his shop (sanding and masking) and I had the car back in my garage for about a month as well doing all the stripping, cleaning and wet sanding of the inner fenders, door jambs, trunk jambs, firewall and drip rails. We hung the sheet metal together and then I took it home and did all the reassembly. My bill was over $9000 but the car did look very nice.
The only welding on the car was in the rear part of the rear wheel wells where he cut out maybe a .75" X 2-3" piece and welded in new sheet metal. This was the area under the wheel well trim. I never new the rust was there until the trim was taken off. After 6 months there was bubbling from both of those areas that extended out from under the trim where it can be seen. I agreed to let the car go for 6 months until Spring (2005) and then he fixed it. Within 6 months the same problem came back. Again he said wait until Spring. Now I want the car to get fixed and he is delining to do it. His reasons include "nobody warrenties agains rust", " there is rust and pitting in that wheel well and it can not be fixed without extensive metal replacement" (at my cost) and "there is nothing mor I can do". What the hell? I am not a painter but it seems to me he had the chance to do it right and did not, now I am stuck with a bubbling 9000 dollar paint job. Am I out of line? I am not one to go off and get beligerent but it seems he cannot be persuaded to take responsability. Sorry for the rant but I wold appreciate any opinions.
Josh