PDA

View Full Version : hydrolic lifter question....

psybock
10-07-2004, 10:56 AM
ok, PAW didn't send me the lifters with my engine kit, so I gave them a call. The guy on the phone offered to send me a set right away, but told me that it would be quicker to just go buy some at the nearest store (they never billed me for them). I asked him if there was anything specific I needed to know when purchasing them, since I had a specific cam and springs from comp cams in my kit. He told me that it didn't matter what kind I got, as long as they were for chevy big block. I thought you were supposed to match those at least with the same brand, but he told me that they would have sent me a generic kind, had they been included. They were really nice, I have no beef with PAW, but wanted to run what they told me by you guys. Should I be worried about putting a different company's lifters in there?

thanks!

ProdigyCustoms
10-07-2004, 01:22 PM
If it is not a real big cam, speed pros or whatever will work just fine. If it is big, you will need some anti pump type lifters from a cam company.

Lowend
10-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Ah - dirty secret here. There is one company in the world that makes flat-tappet hyd lifters. Johnson lifter. This means that ALL flat tappet hyd lifters (excepting some variable duration units) are exactly the same thing.
Go to the local parts store and get part # HA817

ScotI
10-08-2004, 09:44 AM
Wow... thats interesting to know. Would that apply to small blocks as well?

Zefhix
10-08-2004, 12:44 PM
How about Rhoads Lifters (http://www.rhoadslifters.com/) ? They have a lifter called the V-Max that allows you to adjust the bleed-down rate of their hydraulic flat-tappet. They claim you can run a cam .030 higher in lift and not notice a difference in manners with their lifters vs. stock style. Very cool stuff. They'll sell you them direct for $110.00 for the whole set. :cool:

Lowend
10-09-2004, 07:48 AM
Small Blocks and Big BLocks use the same lifter

I personally don't think variable duration lifters really do all that much.

Zefhix
10-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Small Blocks and Big BLocks use the same lifter

I personally don't think variable duration lifters really do all that much.

That's cool.....have you had the opportunity to use them? I was really impressed with the amount of vacumn I was able to gain with a small block that had a 108* LSA cam in it (went from 7 to 9). It toned it down just enough to make it more pleasant on the street w/ the 4-spd. Before the lifter change, I couldn't get the car out from a dig without starting at 2500 or the motor would bog down pretty good. I'm not making it up when I say that the car was able to pull clean around 2000 and it eliminated the carb hesitation, too. Just my experience; I know they're not for everyone but you never know... :cool:

SSMOORE
10-09-2004, 01:17 PM
does this hold true for hyd rollers lifters also?

Zefhix
10-09-2004, 01:31 PM
I think Rhoads just started doing OEM-style hydraulic rollers but I'm not sure if they have variable bleed-down versions. Inheirantly, rollers shouldn't need variable rates because the mere fact that it's a roller means better low-end response and higher RPM capabilities due to the agressive ramp design on the cams vs. the parasitic loss from lifter drag on a flat-tappet. I think the benifit would be outweighed by a more careful choice in cam selection when it comes to a hydraulic-roller setup. :cool:

SSMOORE
10-09-2004, 05:37 PM
I guess What Im looking for is a part number to a good hyd roller lifter that doesnt cost 500 bux. Are the rollers all made by the same place?

camcojb
10-09-2004, 05:51 PM
does this hold true for hyd rollers lifters also?

Hydraulic and solid lifters are the same for small and big blocks. However the hydraulic and solid roller lifters are different as the links are changed to account for the different spacing between the two.

Jody

442olds
10-09-2004, 06:30 PM
Hydraulic and solid lifters are the same for small and big blocks. However the hydraulic and solid roller lifters are different as the links are changed to account for the different spacing between the two.

Jody

What if you are using the hyd roller lifters with the factory style spider and reataining dog bones. Would a small block lifter interchange with the big block lifter as well. I can't find the big block lifters but I can get melling replacement lifters for a small block for 7.99 each from Autozone.