PDA

View Full Version : Anybody intimate with the insides of a steering box?

MuscleRodz
03-10-2006, 07:01 PM
I can already see the snide comments comin. :hah: I took apart the steering box on my '69 Blazer today to reseal it. It was a reman the PO installed right before the truck got parked. Anyway, on the line side there are grooves where the 3 plastic o-rings go. I am going to guess it isn't suppose to be that way? If I am looking at it right, if the high pressure bleeds past the o-rings, steering effort will increase due to bleed by inside the pump. Now to complicate this, I plan to run hydroboost on this truck so I need to make sure the power steering system is solid. Any help?

Mike

David Pozzi
03-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Are you saying there are scratches in the piston or bore???
What do you mean by "grooves"?

Boxes can be sleeved but you could probably swap in another one cheaper.

MuscleRodz
03-10-2006, 10:46 PM
Here is a pic. It looks like the seals have worn a groove into the bore.

Mike

David Pozzi
03-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Oh, that's the top end where the valve goes. I was thinking it was the power piston bore.
I don't think anything moves on that surface once assembled, it just seals the valve assy. I don't know how much wear is too much. Usually any leaking is from the shaft seal, the part you unscrewed first.
I haven't rebuilt one of these so I don't know the specs.

MuscleRodz
03-11-2006, 01:46 PM
Piston side is fine. I am concerned about pressure bleed at the seals where it is grooved. If it was just a little worn I would not feel so bad but I can hang my fingernail in it. It is that worn.

Mike